Just remember that rubber is NOT compressible ... it deforms ... and if it gets squeezed too much, then it splits apart. typically, rubber can only be squeezed no more than about 30% of its thickness, then it splits apart.

Cork-rubber material is truly "compressible" and forgives to some imperfections in mating surfaces. I favor the steel cored cork-rubber designs -- they hold their shape, offer compressibility and can be re-used a few times; no need for adhesives (always be careful when using RTV silicone -- too much and it will cause problems such as entering inside the engine, or acting as a slippery grease that allows the gasket to mis-align under compression/squeezing.

I'm a former gasket engineer from a major company and I wrote all the installation instructions.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!