Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by scratchnfotraction
IIRC the cam had .410 lift on intake but defiantly not a mass 318 flat tappet

.410" lift is the spec for a 360 cam. Might be misremembering? Or someone swapped in a 360 cam? I have a stock 360 roller cam I had kicked around putting into my 87 318, but I think I'll just get a newer design cam with more lift rather than fool with the stock 360 cam.

I printed out some info on head casting #s and engine specs. it shows this 89 4v police engine as having 177 HP @ 4800 rpm where a normal 318 was 150Hp @ 4800 also showed that it was pre-magnum open chamber swirl port 360 heads with #308 castings and they ones I have on my engine. ( I forget the other head casting #s Imwill recheck them)

Well, 4bbl vs 2bbl would likely be the difference between the HP numbers.

that may also be where the slightly smaller measurement of the 360 port size comes from with the later model 360 swirl port open chamber heads. as the 915 intake talked about earlier was on the 89 police engine I have. gave that intake to member (locomotion)

so the early non emission 360 heads 72-84? have the larger port opening and are not a swirl port chamber and the late model #308 heads where labeled as swirl port chambers along with the #302 head introduction in 85. 360 went roller cam in 89-91 so that may be when #308 head came out? but either way the #308 pre-mag head is the best one to find but prone to cracks.

I think you may be right on the port size difference.

I think the smaller 2" port size may also be due to push rod hole size. it got bigger for roller cam & shorter PRs. and this also made the dogleg in the intake runner a little more of a restriction in flow.