Originally Posted by larrymopar360
I know the compression on the 318-2 in the 80's was 9.0 and the 318-4 was 8.4. I've owned both and I know the seat in the pants difference is HUGE. Maybe a lot of it is the sound from the Thermoquad through '84 then Quadrajet, but the S code ELE's sure feel much stronger. And that's back when Chrysler added copious amounts of beefed up internals to their Police engines, unlike today where they just add external coolers.

Factory 2.9 rear gears, no more cats, air pump gone and heads plugged, and very easily break the wheels loose. I know, big deal, but it makes it more fun.

it was 85 up 318s got a comp bump to the 9.0 to 1 with a taller piston comp height and the closed swirl port chamber #302 heads. from the few police 85-up 4v318 engines I owned, I found they had the 9.0 to 1 piston comp height but the open chamber 360 heads drops it down almost a full point of comp. what is really different is the cams the 4v 318 use to maximize the 360 head flow.

so if you take a 2v 318 with the #302 heads 9.0 to 1 comp ratio and drop on a set of 360 heads/intake it does 2 things. 1 it drop comp ratio, 2 it still has a whimpy 2v cam with less than .400" lift

THIS is why most people say it kills effort. and say it sucks.

IMHO this is why a whiplash cam does so well in a low comp engine and works well in a street engine.

the early intake closing build cyl pressure so it does not kill off torque.

the larger valves/runners and high lift flows more in the upper rpm range. these 2 things alone make up any loss from the swap in over all performance you really feel in the seat of the pants in traffic.

example... if a stock 360 head max flow is around .450 lift any cam with more than a .450 lift is a waste as you can not get the max flow of cam due to head restriction.

so the right cam is KEY to swapping 360 heads/intake onto a lopo 318 remember though it is easy to over cam a 318 as well. so pick a high lift & short Dur @ .050 cam like the whiplash line of cams.

look at a 340 cam sheet .420/.443 lift range with x heads. so lift is right around max flow of the heads. THEN add some cubic inch & 10.5 comp with a 6-pac 4 speed 3.91sg and it becomes a high rpm legend on the streets. yes I remember in 68 when 340 A-bodys ruled the streets.

another reason I have always used a 340 cam in most 318 with the smaller heads. makes a fun daily driver. but I am hooked on the whiplash roller cams now and cant wait to run my 5.9 magnum whiplash roller cam in my home ported, back cut, #302 heads on a backward piston 318 next.

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 12/17/20 11:32 AM.