Originally Posted by dvw
Wh haven’t you pressure checked it?
Dougy

Well I got a pressure test kit from a buddy and we pumped the system up to 18 psi. Aside from my lower hose leaking a bit, we were able to replicate the leak coming from the number 8 cylinder - a small drop on the piston skirt. The leak can't be that bad as once the lower hose bled down to about 15 psi, it stopped leaking and the system held pressure.

I was then thinking, maybe head gasket, so I pulled the number eight spark plug and expecting a burst of coolant, I got nothing. Plug looks good. I used my handy borescope and inspected the cylinder. From what we can tell, I might have a casting defect where some of the coolant is weeping through the cylinder wall about an inch below the head gasket. If you look at the pictures you can see the little droplets of coolant on the cylinder wall - but they are all well below the head gasket. We ran the scope around the top of the cylinder/gasket and saw no sings of moisture.

So the verdict is - very small leak through the cylinder wall in the number 8 cylinder.

Since I likely have had this likely going on for years and it isn't diluting the oil from what I can tell (after 2 years/2000 miles), I am going to run it as-is with the plans that eventually I will need to pull the motor and get it re-sleeved.

20201214_061356.jpg