Originally Posted by cdp
The machine shop did the machining only. Assembly was done in house by friend. Again, engine specs, factory 1970 440 HP, externally balanced (from factory), heavy rod motor, automatic. Only major change was using Sealed Power 2355 pistons, to keep compression, as 2266's are junk low comrpession. Engine was not rebalanced.

By the way, I just rebuilt my #s matching 71 GTX engine, with heavy rods, and same combination (2355 pistons, no rebalance), and its probably the smoothest 440s I've ever owned.

I just want to be sure which flywheel to use.

Okay, you are going to need to use the unbalanced flywheel, or the equivalent. From John's drawing the unbalance is 6.5 inch/ounces or one ounce 6 1/2 inches from the center of the crank. The factory got the unbalance by drilling in the specified locations. What I would do if I were you is to take a neutral balanced flywheel and ADD weight 180 degrees from the drilled location at the pressure plate bolts. Yes, it would take some math to do the splitting as the pressure plate bolting is not directly in line but it is not advanced calculus. This way you can get the engine run in AND not modify a neutral balanced flywheel.

"We live in a time when intelligent people are being silenced so that stupid people won't be offended".