Hi all, never really stepped foot in the trucks section of Moparts but I just got a smokin deal on a 2019 Ram Classic Ecodiesel Tradesman. It was the last one built with the Gen II VM Motori and in 2019 they built the older body style and called it the Classic while also building the current style.

It has the 8 speed and one of my concerns is the trans. Anybody have towing experience with this set up? Is the trans cooler sufficient. I go the towing package and I assume it has a cooler but I just got it last night and it was 15K off MSRP and I just jumped on it so fast because it was the last one at the dealer and I've been working on the 'cud all day so I haven't even looked at the owners manual or poked around on it. I just want to figure some things out. I had already looked at the Banks Derringer kit for it and it looks promising so I'll probably add that in the future and last time I had a diesel I upgraded to a Edge Juice and fudged up the tranny on a 2003 POwerstroke. THe Banks system for the VM Motori is pretty safe for the powertrain vs. others. It's not just a reflash or plug in deal. Basically, its not so wild that you can mess the truck up like that Edge did to the Ford. I guess you could say it's passive (Derringer = little bitty gun). Adds up to 40 hp and 63 lb-ft. With "ActiveSafety" it protects the powertrain.
Derringer is dyno calibrated to use multiple data inputs such as throttle position, rpm, vehicle speed, AFR, Knock and coolant temperature, just like your engine's ECU. Its microprocessor-based electronics are able to actively and safely optimize calibrations in real time.

https://www.bankspowerproducts.com/Banks-Power-66581-Derringer-Tuner-with-iDash-1-8-p/66581.htm

Aside from the drivetrain I am looking at churching it up. Being a Tradesman I got some things I really wanted as far as getting a stripper. Rubber floors, vegan leather seats, lower cost ... Some things I want to upgrade to are remote entry, maybe see about getting the upgraded radio/ navigation system, OEM fender mouldings painted body color, and painting a nice tan color on the bottom to give it a nice look.

Anyone had any experience upgrading the basic Uconnect to the Nav Uconnect? This will probably be to much of a hassle and cost-ineffective but just wondering if it's as simple as changing the stereo and dash trim. Are the plugs there for the Nav and you pop out the old one and plug in a GPS and radio screen?

The truck wasn't optioned with remote entry and I have to unlock the door with the key. Is this also something where you plug in a module and install the door lock poppers in the door?

I would like to go OEM with the upgrades but I know there are tons of cheaper aftermarket options for remote door locks and that will be the way I go if the OEM remote entry is a ridiculous cost. I've looked on the interwebs and can only find replacement fobs for trucks already carrying the option so there has to be other components like a signal receiver that the fob communicates with.

I also want to find some wheels that came off a Laramie package truck and not aftermarket. Like I said, OEM stuff is the goal.

Aftermarket stuff would be limited to making it tow better. Helper springs, bigger sway bar (that thing is pencil thin), brake pads? It came with a trailer brake controller so that's good. I need to tow an E-body, safely. I've got an old trailer that isn't great for cars (not a dovetail/ tall fenders, low floor). In the future I do want to get a dovetail trailer and would like to be able to swing the doors on the 'cuda all the way open. I might even look at aluminum to shave some weight. Advertised capacity says I'll be fine with what I got but if I'm going to buy a different trailer why not get an aluminum trailer? Selling the old trailer would help cut the cost of the aluminum option.

Can anyone chime in with a report on towing a car with these EcoDiesels?

Instagram : @5_points_racing