Originally Posted by GomangoCuda
This subject has been debated here dozens of times. Neither side will ever accept the others explanation. Years ago I posted information I found about what the total resistance (coil primary + ballast resistor) should be to match the transistor. But I don't remember what it was or who the source was confused shruggy. It might be in one of the race manuals from D.C. or M.P.

Personally I have been running a Supercoil for about 18 years with a .8 resistor and a chrome box. No issues.

I don't really have anything else to add except -
"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is."

Do what works for you.

Well you are right as it boils down to the total primary resistance of the primary circuit as to how many amps will flow in the primary circuit. To many can overheat the coil and ECU. To little and could be a weaker spark. But I agree its the coil primary resistance that can determine what ballast of what ohms will work to give good spark and not overheat the coil or damage the ECU. I did run a .5 ohm ballast in my ign but since I kept hearing about many running Mopar ign with no ballast I decided to try it with my super coil. Course I carry and extra coil and ECU just in case and it ended up working fine with the super coil. It may not work with some other coils as it depends on the ohms of the coils primary circuit to start with. But since I race my car sometimes and jet it for mph at the track I like a hot spark to help keep my plugs clean and that's why I decided to try it with no ballast and found out my setup works good with no ballast. Course it will boil down to total primary ign circuit resistance to have the right amps flowing and not damage the coil or ECU and produce the right spark. I happen to find one setup that's works good for me and gives a good strong spark and don't hurt any ign parts. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 10/31/19 08:37 PM.