Originally Posted by BradH
My last comment / suggestion, which I'm sure overlaps w/ others' feedback above:
1. Use some type of speed controller if the grinder is limited to ON/OFF; you can even use a cheap light rheostat from Home Despot or what someone else mentioned from Harbor Fright. Regardless, you have to be able to slow the grinder speed to have some level of control
2. Use 3/8" OD sanding rolls to limit the amount of material being removed; get 60 or 80 grit, not the finer grits which tend to be more for surface finishing
3. Mark off where you think you need to remove material
4. Wear safety mask & goggles
5. Take your time --> sawzall

Sorry, but I have a few more questions. I just want to be sure I do this right. So I can use sanding rolls (like those that came with my Dremel) rather than a metal bit or in conjunction with a metal bit? Either way I'll have to try and get a long stem metal bit and/or a long stem bit for sanding rolls as mine are all short stem. I was going to use a Mikita rotary hand grinder I borrowed from a friend but it is single speed and it does seem pretty powerful so I will have to pick up a speed controller as well. Could a Dremel be used to do this or is it not powerful enough for this kind of job?