Andy, Years ago, I read about a test where they checked the actual flow of paper elements vs oiled cotton like the K&N. I wish I could remember where. It was interesting that the factory paper oval element, new, was only capable of flowing around 900 cfm which was adequate for a six pack, but if they got a bit dirty, the airflow dropped accordingly and restricted power. I see people on here frequently looking for dual quad filters and many of the posts show filters with elements that look to be maybe 1-1/2" tall and are not that big in diameter. I know on my Hemi dual quads, at first I ran a couple of the cheap Mr. Gasket 6x2.5" filters, until I fabbed up an A-12 dual quad base for my six pack hood. It uses a K&N sixpack filter and after I got my carbs dialed in with the wide band, I went back and put the 6" filters on and not only could you feel the power difference, you could see on the wideband that it was running richer due to less airflow. I was wondering if you might consider doing an article about the realities and restriction some of the commonly used airfilters? I believe most people might be surprised by how much horsepower they can be giving up with the wrong choice. From what a friends dyno tests showed, the extreme drop base single quads were some of the worst. One thing is for sure, you never see any real in-depth stories on the subject in the mainstream mags!

Last edited by Lee446; 06/20/19 07:43 PM.