I was one of the ones pushing for tighter squish..I prefer to call it squish because I believe that's the mechanism that benefits everything.
So when I took apart my Mom's '86 318 I was disappointed to see the pistons down in the hole something like 0.055". I used the Mr. Gasket thin gaskets which are 0.028" compressed. Do the math, the distance seems to be huge. But the results speak for themselves. The engine comes in right at 9:1 and using a stock 360 cam I am running it on 85 octane in the mountains which switches to 87 down in the flats. In other words, pump regular. Running 35 degrees total with a high perf advance curve I NEVER have detonation. Even running it down into Phoenix while still jetted for 6,000 ft in the 110 degree summer. And mileage jumped from 16 to 22!
This is the long way around the barn to say I don't think your 0.060" squish is hurting things. I have a feeling you had an idea of what your new engine would feel like and it doesn't come up to your expectations.

We have no dyno numbers or ETs or quarter mile speeds with which to judge what the engine is actually putting out. Before you jump into the deep end, maybe we should hear about the numbers it can generate.
Lord Kelvin said approximately that if you can't or don't measure it, you don't know anything about it. This may sound a little hard core but you may hear the same thing on this board, when people say until you show up with ETs don't bother.

R.