Howdy!

My local machine shop is not the fastest but their work always checks out good and I trust them. I just got done waiting for my third go-around there with the 512 I’m building. The block has been checked out, bored, and honed.

I figured I’d mock up and measure everything then take it back to the machine shop for one more few week wait. The problem is that everything I mock up or measure keeps coming right into spec where I want it. This is a new experience for me- the small blocks I built all needed a lot of work.

So I’m considering building this thing. The only thing I am not sure about is the deck/head gasket situation. Three out of four corners the pistons are .003 below deck. The #8 deck is .004 thicker. As far as quench goes I’m happy with .043”-.047” on the even holes and all at .043 straight across the driver’s side deck.

Obviously it’s not perfect but I was surprised how close it is to square and zero deck. The block has a shot peened finish which is something that I haven’t worked with before. The decks are nice and flat even with one .004 out of square on the even side. I plan to run aluminum stealths on 1009 felpros with 10.25:1 compression.

For a hot street motor am I good to screw this thing together? Or is my surface finish too rough or deck too far out of spec?

What do you think?