The original material used was 3M ScotchCal which was a calendared vinyl as opposed to Cast. At the time, the material was only rated for 3-4 years (about how long people kept their cars back then since models & styles changed so frequently). Newer cast materials are generally rated 8-10 years. The only material that is close to the original (that I have found) is Avery HP700 matte black, which is rated 7 years in Matte Black. It has more correct level of sheen than the more flat cast materials and is about the right thickness.

The newer cast materials are pretty much all too thin when compared to the original NOS stripe materials. The original 3M was approx. 4mil. Most cast materials are 2mil. Even the Avery HP700 is a good bit thinner than the original 3M due to advances in materials through the years. Avery HP 700 Matter Black is 2.9mil.

All of that being said, they have recently changed the Avery material so that there is less stippling (texture) than there used to be. Plus it is a little more flat than it used to be as recent as a year or so ago. It is not something most people would notice but since I work with it everyday, it was a noticeable change to me.