I have a mostly original 1969 Dart GTS. It had been in storage for the past 40 years when I bought it in 2015. Back in 1969, when the car was just a few months old, the original owner crashed the rear drivers quarter panel. A body shop back then hung a new quarter panel and blended the new paint on the C-pillar and at the Dutchman panel.
Today that "repaired" paint work is mostly shot. It has been flaking off the top/back of the quarter panel near the trunk lid.
Last fall I talked to a body shop owner about re-shooting the quarter. He told me that he would paint the quarter in a base coat/clear coat urethane paint. Blending it across the driver's door, up the C-pillar and also across half of the trunk lid.

What is the best way to approach when trying to repaint a body panel on a older car that still has it's original paint? I'm thinking that they should shoot the panel with single stage enamel and blend it only at the C-pillar.
I'm not expecting a miracle here as I know matching old paint is really hard to do. I just don't think using a clear coat is the way to go when just re-shooting part of a car that still has it's original paint.

69 Dart.JPG