Originally Posted By dogdays
The FBO control box uses a board by Daytona Sensors. DS makes very nice stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to use it. The FBO box is an electronic switch and not a capacitive discharge ignition. There is nothing wrong with that, as the inductive ignition gives a long spark compared to a CD unit which substitutes a series of shorter sparks until 3000rpm or so.

Both the FBO box and the Rev-N-nator claim to improve upon the stock Chrysler box. This is probably done by both: (a) turning on and off more quickly, giving coil longer time to charge between sparks, and, (b) being able to switch larger currents.

The gain is by charging the coil better, making a better spark and carrying this higher in the rpm range. The transistors used in the Mopar and aftermarket stock type boxes are relatively slow to switch. The typical can-type coil isn't terribly efficient, meaning that quite a bit of the energy with which it is charged is lost. The E-core coil is a more efficient design and will result in better sparks. My favorite OEM E-core coil was used with Ford's TFI ignition and is on millions of Tauruses, mustangs, etc.

The MSD6 shouldn't require a complicated wiring setup. Big red and black wires to battery, small red wire connected to the input side of the ballast resistor, two wires to the coil and a twisted pair to the electronic ignition output, using a 2-pin trailer connector to mate. It looked a lot better when I took the orange box and associated harness off the firewall.

R.

good stuff right here. i read this article about the differences quite awhile ago. pretty interesting

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2014/11/07...ctive-ignition/