Guys I'm having a tough time diagnosing my 70 charger headlight motor. It did not work and I thought it would be a good learning experience.

Upon initial tear down I found the motor was dirty so I cleaned up the contacts and copper on the armature. I also notice a very tiny green wire floating in mid-air.

I looked at the rest of the assembly and believed it was to be connected to one of the brushes. Matter of fact if you look real close at where the brush is crimped on you can see what looks like a little piece of the green wire sticking out the other end of the crimp. So I believed it had broken and needed repair. So I soldered it back on. However, when I put it back together it still did not work.

So I pulled it back apart. I did my best to check the armature with a multimeter and from what I can tell it seems ok. So I think the issue is related to the power wire. From the plug end there is 2 wires. As they enter the case they split off, one's green the other appears bare copper with a clothe like tan jacket. Both get wrapped around a large hung of iron (possibly a magnet)then come out the other side. A copper wire was attached to one of the brush leads, but this is also where I believed the green wire was connected. The other brush lead is connected to the cap (possibly as a ground?). I'm still trying to figure this out and wondering if the green wire should instead somehow be connected to the other brush lead? Does anyone know if both wires should or should not be connected to the same brush lead or have any photos to help me solve this mystery?

Last edited by moparmojo; 02/25/17 06:31 PM. Reason: better pics