Originally Posted By quickd100
Originally Posted By MR_P_BODY
Dave.. how much caster do you have on that straight axle
if its still in there
wave

Mike... I don't know, it's never been aligned. Heck it still has it's factory original shocks on the front axle. It's always driven straight and true and I've never had an issue with unusual tire wear.Dave

Yep, you had some luck and positive Caster on your side.

You can actually steer a vehicle with Only one tie rod attached if the positive caster is enough. One wheel will steer and the other will follow.

But add in any Bumps or Braking, the unconnected wheel can flip flop. But will try to follow the directional groove the steered wheel is pointed to when the brakes or bumps decease.

EDIT; I know this from experience: My new/used truck with the 100 safety inspection from FORD, Dropped a tie rod on the passenger side on the way to the grocery store.

I noticed it when hitting the brakes or over some bumps. But mostly on any brake apply. Stopped at a red light and got out and checked. "Dropped" the passenger side tie rod, no connection.
Realized that I just steered through two mild turns with the symptoms up to that point.

At the red light in the Turn lane. After the green, I turned a mild 90* turn to the left and then further down the road a mild 90* turn to the right into a parking lot, all with only one wheel connected. Once in the lot, Snapped the passenger tie rod back on and drove gingerly home. Didn't really have to, but it made me feel more safe.

Last edited by Sport440; 05/13/16 02:04 AM.