Originally Posted By jcc
"A couple squirts of your favorite chassis grease and they will live a very long life."

I strongly question that, as I have seen many cases of urethane sitting on the shelf, fail over time. Now if the suggestion is that an oil squirt keeps them from "drying out", seems the manufactures would promote that, unless selling replacements is their real objective, every few years. work

I strongly question you back. and raise you with the blanket universal YMMV. I "strongly question" that all urethane is the same formula. in fact we all know its not (dif durometers and all that for one). Im not a chemist, im referring to physical wear. But i'd suspect there are diff formulas for environmental use heat, chemical, wear, flexibility etc... And that opens the door for all kinds of reasons of failure.

I was specifically referring to suspension bushing that involve a twisting motion and that the urethane is moving against a surface >>> UCA/LCA (yeah know the subject of this thread?)and sway bars frame bushings would exactly fall into that category. FSB and LCA (in neon) for several years, MANY MANY AutoX runs, 100K+ road miles with out failure where it is actually common to replace every 25-30K miles. The specific points again are that in this application the bearing surface if it gets dry will wear off whatever corrosion prohibitor and that surface will rust, rough, and waller (tech term) out the bushing. again that UCA/LCA "bushing" is sliding on metal all the time.

2gn neon front LCA

Elsewhere I use a ES ford ranger LCA spec bushing just because it happens to fit my engine torque struts (aftermarket) on my autox SRT4. They decidedly do not last a long time. After about a year the center turns to a tarry goo, likely too hot. oh well replace and go racing. Other ES urethane inserts into the OEM rubber isolator torque strut in the EXACT same place, lived a very long happy life.

despite both have "urethane" in the name and from the same manufacture (ES) could it be that there is not one size fits all formula? I'd suspect there are varying degrees of formula for application and environment.

Last edited by Trojmn; 11/21/15 08:14 PM. Reason: pics man.