Quote:

At one point you could blame operator error on the quantity of seam sealer that was applied to the area above the rear wheel wells.
It was applied strictly by the operator on the joint before the inner and outer bed sides were spot welded together at the marriage operation.
I did that job a few times. Once you got the hang of it, it was far from the worst job in metal shop.

The fact that the seam sealer was applied prior to spot welding may be why it looks more like foam than seam sealer, the spot welding process probably boiled it from the heat of the welding process.
It wasn't a foam when it was applied to the bed sides sheetmetal parts.

When they retooled for the 2002 body style they completely redid the metal shop and automated more of the process, whether that process was automated I can't say since I was in the chassis dept by them.

They spent $200 million to redo the metal shop for 2002 and the closed it all and tore everything down 7 years later.

Go figure.

Thanks for clarifying the process. The stuff does feel more like foam than seam sealer to me. Maybe the welding process is what makes it seem so inconsistant in amount and effectiveness.
Dallas

2012 Rallye Redline Challenger, 1st new car!
2010 Ram 1500 4wd HEMI-hauler
2014 Dodge Dart-gas saver
4 projects and a bunch of parts cars, losing interest since buying the Challenger lol
1969 Dodge Coronet 500-'gonna fix 'er up someday!'