Quote:

scratchnfotraction you said: if the whiplash 440 cam does what the whiplash roller cam did for my JY 318 in my 85 truck... look out
Don't want to highjack thread but since you have run the whiplash cam in a sb how was it for street drivability and mileage ? converter ? thinking of getting a small whiplash or thumper for my 360 in my 77 shorty van and adding airgap and headers. Don't care about how it sounds just want something that works with the low comp.
Thanks

thumper take comp/stall/gears to run on the street with out being a dog under 3500rpm. IMHO.

the whiplash works great with my low stall TC and the 2.76-3.21-3.55 gears I have ran so far with the auto trans. very good street driver and drives like a stock engine until you mash down on it.

the NV4500 5 speed behind it now and with 3.55 it smokes 1,2,3rd gear and then wants to wheel hop in the truck.

I have a JY/used 107,000 mile 91-318/#302 heads/eddy 600/LD4B/headers/2.5 duels gets around 18+ mpg with the auto or 5 speed maybe a little better with 5 speed if you don't mash on it thru the gears.

winds right up to 6000 rpms in my 318 and I am running the comp 901-16 springs with the roller lifter/whiplash roller cam. so far no issues.

I have plans for 2 more SB318s with the roller whiplash, 1-318 with 360 heads 2-318 with magnum heads.

Hughes was not to sure about the roller whiplash in the pre-mag as they have not run that combo.(worry of cranking PSI/cyl pressure) when I asked about the springs.

comps are little less on the seat and higher rate over all/hughes is more seat-less over all.

the whiplash is almost same specs as the lunati voodoo roller cam I was running with the comp 901-16 spring as well.

but the whiplash woke it up a lot more than the smooth idle voodoo cam.

does just what they say it will do for a stock smogger daily driver.

I rolled the dice with the magnum roller whiplash and comp springs...so far the comp springs are doing a fine job...no valve float or valves bounce on the seat.. revs till it skears me enuff to lift.

I very happy with it in my junk and the 440 should be even better.

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 02/28/14 05:26 PM.