Quote:

Quote:

The A bodies all look to be converted to big bolt wheels and run early Shelby wheels.

If you look through pictures from the whole '66 Trans-am season you'll see both the stock looking steel rims and the aftermarket rims. My guess is that some of the teams switched over mid season. Jason Ernst said those are Kelsey Hayes Mag Star wheels. Whether the Shelby rims and the ones the Mopar teams used looked the same or were actually the same is a question.

The steel rims probably have an extra center welded in based on their experience in ralleying the Valiants.

The other question about the SBP hubs really needs to be asked of Scott Harvey and Tarrozzi. For '66 it looks like they would have had to use the K-H calipers, and probably a rotor of the same dimension. Those would be too easy to spot if they changed for something much bigger. But was a BBP or SBP, and if it was BBP - How did they do it?

Harvey had a KH make them up a special run of disks with the changed pattern and center register diameter. The Mopar Action article on Scott Harvey mentioned this. I don't think the casting is changed, just machined different.

Tarozzi couldn't remember exactly where he got the disks from when I asked him. But it was not something he had to design up just for the super stock cars. But he did say he helped a little of the Team Starfish deal, but really wasn't exited about it. Tarozzi has a incredible memory, but I was just asking him about something 45 years ago out of the blue and he could not confirm nor deny. It seemed plausible to him.

Fall Fling 28 October 19, 2024 at Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA
300+ Mopars, 125+ swap, midway, Friday Malibu cruise,