I'm going to say with going the V10, 6 speed, your original frame is going to be pretty useless! The entire original "X" trans crossmember will have to be removed to clear the V10 and trans and the rear spring setup will be pretty light duty also. You can modify the original frame to upgrade to the MustangII suspension and upgrade the rear suspension, but after installing that much torque, are you really going to want to relie on a nearly 70 year old frame? I'm thinking your going to want a new fabricated frame (at least I would) if you stick with the v10. Now if you were doing a stroker small block or a non-stroker big block, my opinoin would be different. There is a guy over on the HAMB board that does a Dakota based frame that is a real good looking piece, I'll see if I can get his business name, he runs a frame shop.

For what its worth, the weight is not the issue, the torque of the V10 is. The old flathead 6 that was originally in your 40 was a heavy weight pig, it and its trans probably weighed in close to what the V10 and the 6 speed weighs. Gene

EDIT: The name of the guy on the HAMB board is Elpolcko and a web site to his business is: www.industrialchassisinc.com He has many years working with front suspension and frames. I have met him in person and he is a great guy, though he probably won't know or remember me. lol. Gene

Last edited by poorboy; 10/20/08 09:11 PM.