Sorry it took me a while to expand on things. I usually willingly give out any and all information . Since I just sent in two articles that cover a couple of topics on here,they wont reach the stands for a few months.
So as not to make the articles worthless to the publisher,I need to not give away too much of it so Ill be brief.
I started the cam testing on this 360 a set of cheap 1 5/8" headers. I tests a few cams of similar size . One was a dual pattern,one was a single pattern both with the same basic intake lobes. Then I ttested a cam with the same intake closing point,but was split pattern with a narrower lsa.
After seeing how things acted,I went back and repeated the testing with manifolds and a couple different header designs.
On this engine ,a basic small block,and sseveral other combinations I have spent a lot of time on,they all made more peak torque and had wider power bands with narrow lsa cams compared to similar cams with wider lsa.
I will be the first to admit,I have not worked with every combination possible.
Most Mopar small and big blocks favor narrow lsa cams,and Im not the only guy that thinks so.
MOST cam companies spread the lsa out a couple degrees over optimum to help with idle and vacuum on a lot of their " performance" cams because they feel we will pick a cam with too much duration .
Keith