Quote:

I disagree with the latter half of the previous post, but that isn't the topic at hand.

your tires are wearing because you have too much negative camber. If the shop can't tell that, then find a new shop.

If it is a camber problem you could easily see 1 degree it on a level road. Since I’ve been aligning cars for over 15 years I can easily see as little ½ degree or less without a gauge.

How long do the tires last?

If you put a car's camber at additional 1 degree neg, drive it 5,000 miles. Take a look at the tires afterward. It would take at least 5k to as much as 10k miles to show.

Now put the toe at 1/2" toe in or worst toe out and try to drive it the same amount of miles. You won't make it to 5,000 before the cord shows.

On most cars wear is when braking, the tires will want to toe out at this time. If you have all the suspension components in check the toe will ideally zero. I suspect with the older cars this would be more. That’s why having suspension components in good condition is a must.
What were the specs? If it was a good shop they would have a print out. Not that you could actually trust the readings as it is easy to make them anything they want. But if you can trust the readings and they were all in the ideal range then the readings are changing when you are driving. Ie braking, going around corners, etc. meaning worn components.

You would not normally see feathering of tire tread on front tires unless it is a severe toe problem since they go around corners, this typically scrubs any feathering off. It is typical of rear tires with a toe in condition. Even then you would not normally see it in a rear wheel drive car.

Last edited by HealthServices; 10/17/08 11:06 PM.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.