I guess it depends on being able to safely tow your car to the track without making the daily driver part un-necessarily expensive. I never saw the logic in buying twice the truck you need 90% of the time just to take a car to the track a few times a year. A good example is I used to own a 2001 Dakota - extended cab, 5 speed V-6, 3.55 gears. Great daily driver, and towed my 2800LB Spirit on an open trailer the 30 mi to Milan 10-15 times a year and the 90 mi to Norwalk 2-3 times a year just fine. Both hauls were flat tows, and I wasn't in a hurry to get there. In my situation, it would have been ignorant to buy a bigger more expensive truck - the Dakota was great 90% of the time, and adequate the rest(towing). Now mind you, I put heavier load range tires on the truck, my trailer had brakes on both axles, and I used an equalizing hitch.

So I think you need to decide how much truck you really need - do you tow a light car/trailer on flat land, which the Hemi/dually is MORE than enough, or an enclosed trailer, heavy car, golf cart, etc.,in hilly country, which is more in the V10-Cummins territory.

Free advice and worth every penny...
Factory trained Slinky rewinder.........