Quote:

I myself can see a quite a few ways to safely support a car like this that anybody could do at home.

to Domingo.

We all decide our own level of risk.
Agreed, not every guy with a car and a hoist is capable of truly understanding the physics behind it all and will become a statistic. Won't matter if it was posted here or not.
It's how evolution works.

Main things to do: add a safety support under the car, and keep the center of gravity in mind.

My car is totally stripped, and the body in white weighs 460 lbs. Lifting one side with a seat belt anchor would be around half that, or about 230 lbs. I have been planning to raise up one side of the car to about 45 degrees, but I had not thought about using the seat belt anchor - great idea! Wouldn't ya think that anchor has to be good for well north of 230 lbs?

I'll be bolting wood skids to where the K frame mounts and where the rear springs mount. These skids will also serve as a dolly for transporting the shell to a painter. And they will keep the center of gravity for sure on the correct side of the axis of rotation of the body shell.

Thanks for the tip, Domingo!

If you don't see two dolphins, you need a vacation.