Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Moparts Question and Answer
06/13/24 06:54 PM
Thanks! I did order the Fel-Pro 1213 S-3 gaskets that has the crossover blocked. I will do some more checking around! wave
31 1,464 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
06/13/24 06:40 PM
Thats interesting. I wonder if since I have a small pull off like many do out here where the mail man and myself can safely access my box if that makes a difference. The box is on my property about 30ft from the side of the road. But then there are many on large posts.

I just used the googler and yes it seems there are some very direct rules but it seems here in the dust bowl its not high on the conformity list. One neighbor has his box right up by his house but does have a easy drive through turn around.
13 518 Read More
06/13/24 06:36 PM
drive Hi , The Strap Wrench one I use is from Napa Carlyle Part # SER 773149 . It can take off filters up to 6" in diameter on Big 18 Wheeler Rigs and Big Tractors with ease . drive You can use a Wrench or 1/2" drive ratchet on the end for even More leverage if a Animal over tightened the Filter ! drive
13 555 Read More
Ebay / Craigslist / Marketplace / WIW
06/13/24 06:35 PM
At least it doesn't have 40 year old shag carpet and wood paneling. nervous

It would make a nice retro van.

A set of Keystones rims, a couple of porthole windows, fender flairs, spoiler, visor and wing and a new grill with square headlights. sawzall and about 100 one hundred dollar bills later. work

I wounder if Robin from high school is still around..... whistling
4 365 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
06/13/24 06:33 PM
Originally Posted by mopars4ever
Snob, No not all . When I was a kid I worked on my cars with tools such vice grips, pliers, adjustable wrenches, big screw drivers and a hammer. I also had a small SK socket set and a piece of pipe for tightening the big bolts. I worked with what I had. LOL

Reminds me of a departed freind that rebuilt his 283 chevy back in 66 or so. Said he didn't have a torque wrench so he tightened the rod bolts as tight as he could with a 1/2" bereaker bar and a short pipe ( while lying on his back in a driveway). After tightening # 6 rod the motor wouldn't turn. he had to rent a torque wrench after loosing the bolts. Said it ran fine except for the cylinder with the broken rings from falling off the work bench πŸ™„πŸ€£πŸ€£
25 1,062 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
06/13/24 06:32 PM
Originally Posted by larrymopar360
He's one of those guys that despite never meeting him and only seeing on TV shows, you still feel like you know him well like a friend.

I met him at Carlisle one year when he was doing Mopar trivia at the factory display. Nice guy.
67 7,298 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
06/13/24 06:29 PM
The white 170 was shot at a dealership in Bowie, which had it locked up in an interior (as in, isolated from the exterior walls and windows) office space. They have Clubs on the cars in the showroom because of some issues in the past; I can understand adding an extra layer of security for this car.
The red one's owner also has an '18, which he brings to Mason-Dixon every year, runs 9s all day and then drives it home. He did the same with his 170, which is <i>not</i> a VIN match to his '18 because the dealer with the matching car got greedy. I missed his wheels-up run, but the launch I did shoot looks good.
The gray one is part of the pair in the previous post, shot at Annapolis Cars and Coffee a couple of weeks ago.
7 699 Read More
06/13/24 06:26 PM
Might try the Bay for old crower catalogs but bend over frown
1 88 Read More
06/13/24 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by tboomer
TJP...Red 271 goes to 300 F...how hot can the intake get?

TBoomer, Don't know for sure but wouldn't want to find out the hard way frown . I would think you'd be OK IF the crossover is blocked and Stays blocked.

let's say idling the return coolant reaches 220-230, how hot is the uncooled portion of the intake shruggy

Myself I'd throw a good tack weld on it or consult locttite for a higher temp. twocents
31 1,464 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
06/13/24 06:18 PM
You are lucky. Around here, the state/county would have fined you for your mail box being so tough! We have laws that require mailbox support systems to give away or move under impact with a car. If a vehicle hits your mailbox post here, it better break off, fall over, or slide out of the way.

Dad lived in a more rural subdivision. His mailbox post was a 6"x 6" square treated post from back in the days lumber was actual size. It was burred 3' in the ground with cement around the base. One year there were a group of hooligans that started smashing mailboxes along the side of the road. They reportedly had damaged at least 20 mailboxes. They used an old beater and would take turns swinging the car door open as they approached the mailboxes to destroy them. The way the Police discovered this was because when the swung the door open at dad's box, the door got smashed but the box was unharmed. When the door smashed closed, it caved in the side of the car, the guy that swung the door open got a shattered arm, and they had to rip the car apart to get the gut that sat behind him out of the car (not really sure how that went down, but that was how the car was damaged, it left the scene on the hook). The guys in the car got into a lot of trouble, wrecking mailboxes is a Federal crime, but dad also got a pretty big fine and had to change the mail box post to comply. The County went around every rural mailbox in the county and made them comply with the mailbox break away mounting systems laws. Mailboxes fall under pretty much the same rules as road side signs.

Apparently, the Police and law makers don't want to see people get hurt (or worse) if they loose control of their vehicle (like on a patch of ice or snow) and hit a mailbox.
13 518 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
06/13/24 06:18 PM
Caught a few more 170s recently.
The gray ones are VIN twins (2018 and 2023 with matching serial plaques), shot in Ocean City last month.
The B5 Blue one was at a cruise in Fulton, MD, in April. This one's part of a pair of VIN twins as well, but the owner didn't go for matching colors. His '18 is Plum Crazy.
The other two were at the Mid-Atlantic Mopar Meet at Mason-Dixon last month and belong to a shop. One is a single-seater.
7 699 Read More
06/13/24 06:14 PM
drill bolt heads and safety wire together
31 1,464 Read More
06/13/24 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by moparx
what's wrong with just chopping off the plugs and twisting the wires together, then covering the "splice" with 'lectric tape ? whistling boogie laugh2
beer

(Bubba) Warks at the race track
(me) How many races have you finished?
(Bubba) git me anudder beer)
(Me) How many raes have you won?
(Bubba) I gotta go dump a load)🎯
🀣🀣🀣
6 354 Read More
06/13/24 06:04 PM
Pontiac/ Buick pre 65? shruggy
7 353 Read More
06/13/24 06:02 PM
Originally Posted by therocks
We had and Ive had lots of them Best one I ever fouind was a nylon one Has a square steel part that uses 1/2 drive ratchet inside.Never met a filter I could not get to or get off.Lets just say lots on idiots think a filter has to be tightened to 100 ft pounds.

Picture please or source / part number up
13 555 Read More
06/13/24 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Originally Posted by Torq37

Any advantage or downside to removing the accumulator spring on a mild performance build?

Leave it in, the downside is broken parts and no improvement in shift quality.

i have been tossing that spring for 50 years or so, and haven't broken anything. [yet]
could you please explain what will/could break ?
you are "the man" when it comes to transmissions. at least i think so. bow TIA !
beer

He is as well as other other things. his knowledge base amazes me. πŸ‘πŸ»πŸŽ―. Wish we could put a thumb drive in his ear and copy it 🀣🀣🀣🀣🀣
Thanks for all you contributions John beer
4 108 Read More
Ebay / Craigslist / Marketplace / WIW
06/13/24 05:33 PM
Looks like sunfire yellow...That red is different. drive
3 220 Read More
06/13/24 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by DaveRS23
I mount and balance a fair amount of tires, used and new. If they have your size available, front line Michelins are the best tires that I come across. They are all I run on my personal stuff. Just remember that the mass marketer's Michelins are not necessarily the same as the front line tires.

We use Michelin Defenders on our cars and trucks. They simply take less weight to balance and are consistently ROUND. So many tires that I come across now are not round. Many are kinda egg shaped. And no amount of weights will take that vibration out of the vehicle.

And if you need a relatively common size, don't forget the late model wrecking yards for good used tires. Typically $150 to $250 a set for 80% to 90% tread tires. And occasionally 100% tread tires from new vehicles that were salvaged which happens more often than you would think.

It still surprises me how many tire stores still use an old balancer design.

Over 25 years ago I found this out with the introduction (to me) of the Hunter Road Force Variation balancer.
It has a roller that loads the tire with approx. 700 lbs of load. It catches tires with varying sidewall stiffness.

Tire is round but, a soft section then a firm sidewall section can make the tire β€œhop”.

It will balance perfectly but will hop down the road.
28 1,780 Read More
Unlawfl's Race & Engine Tech
06/13/24 05:21 PM
great job Tex ! up bow
beer
9 412 Read More
Unlawfl's Race & Engine Tech
06/13/24 05:20 PM
any time i would get on a bike now would look like the guy in the yellow rain coat riding the tricycle on the old "Laugh In" show.............i would just fall over.......... laugh2
beer
12 721 Read More
Stu Harmon General Forum
06/13/24 05:11 PM
Well, I bought a pretty big bag of mixed candy to toss, I figure on doing a little "cherry picking" before I throw it all to the crumb crushers.
7 540 Read More
06/13/24 05:03 PM
Originally Posted by John_Kunkel
Originally Posted by Torq37

Any advantage or downside to removing the accumulator spring on a mild performance build?

Leave it in, the downside is broken parts and no improvement in shift quality.

i have been tossing that spring for 50 years or so, and haven't broken anything. [yet]
could you please explain what will/could break ?
you are "the man" when it comes to transmissions. at least i think so. bow TIA !
beer
4 108 Read More
06/13/24 04:57 PM
some [but not all] of the newer strap style "wrenches" [if you can call them that] having a QUALITY, good gripping rubber strap, can be used for many needs, which i would think include removing oil filters.
i do agree with Rocky, oil filters do NOT need to be torqued to eleventyhundred foot pounds, using a 4 foot pipe "cheater bar" on the wrench handle...............
some people are just plain "numnutz". biggrin
beer
13 555 Read More
06/13/24 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by Rhinodart
Some of the Max Wedge carbs had no numbers on them also...

Many AFB's came without stamped numbers if they had the P/N tag under one of the cover bolts and some had both stamped numbers and a tag. Scott Smith discussed why but I've lost the info.
7 353 Read More
06/13/24 04:49 PM
what's wrong with just chopping off the plugs and twisting the wires together, then covering the "splice" with 'lectric tape ? whistling boogie laugh2
beer
6 354 Read More
Page 1 of 164 1 2 3 163 164