J
J_BODY Offline
I Live Here
J_BODY  Offline
I Live Here
J

aZLiViN
Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
Ohhh Boy I’m in trouble. A spelling and grammar Nazi, my worst dreams come true.

The Facebook Flu is now at moparts...

Buy the weigh I’m having phun runing a smahl blauqe over that tractor motor bigue blauqe I had....

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: dwayne welder] #2576749
11/10/18 01:06 PM
11/10/18 01:06 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
The biggest thing hurting Gen3 development/acceptance on the grassroots level at least is the cost of entry compared to brand x.

There used to be a time when you could go to a boneyard and buy a nice running 440 and 727 out of a low mileage 67 New Yorker for pretty cheap and over the course of a weekend or 2 transplant it into your grandmother's 62 Belvedere and be the terror of the town, attending hotrod class 101.

Fast forward to today, the only way you get a 5.7 for under $1k is if it's blown up. Basically now you get to start with a block and crank shaft or a block and 2 heads because the nice low mileage running one out of that 07 300C is $3K. So much for being the terror of the town in 2 weekends with your grandmothers 83 Cordoba learning anything about a Mopar other than that those LS swaps sure are cool and affordable.

So your alternative at this point if the dark side is not for you is a 5.9 Magnum. Not SBC cheap but compared to the Hemi it is and all kinds of hand me down go faster parts available as you work your way thru Hotrod 101 and beyond.

Kevin

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: dwayne welder] #2576818
11/10/18 04:34 PM
11/10/18 04:34 PM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
The reason a genIII typically is not that fast is the cars they are running in are 4500# race weight. Guys with factory 6.4s and bolt on stuff are running 12s in those 4500# beasts without ever pulling the intake or valve covers. That is not a fast time for a SB duster but try putting 1500# in your trunk and go racing and see how fast your SB is then.

Don;t get me wrong, I am still a SB guy at heart, I am still building them for me and customers but the demand is certainly slowing down and I wont get to build hot rods for a living if I don't move on. I am very excited about the upcoming trick flow SB head (wish they made it in magnum intake bolt and rocker flavor so I could bolt them on my 410 CID dakota motor but whatever), (also 1/2 my engine builds go into 94 and later dodge trucks so I think they just missed their biggest target market) but I think it is just a little late to the game. Even if it exceeds expectations it wont flow as much as an eagle head. I still just might buy a set and try to drill a magnum bolt pattern and sell my rockers to buy LA rockers, but then my cam will effectively shrink.

Also I just bought a wrecked 60,000 mile 2013 charger RT for $800 with a proven almost 400hp engine, I cant get close to that in a SB for $800, the only problem I have is the swap parts cost so stinking much VS the SB.

One disclaimer I know everyone will harp on me about but I got to be honest, there are no race tracks locally so almost all my builds are street performance oriented and only a handfull get to the tracks. I used to race when I lived in TN so I have some personal knowledge of what worked for me there, one big thing I learned is most guys are not making anywhere near what they think they are. My 400 HP 360 66 dart would keep up with or beat most "600HP" SBC cars. The stuff I have built lately would blow that old car away.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: HotRodDave] #2576917
11/10/18 10:03 PM
11/10/18 10:03 PM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
For Ritter to produce a block that would suit Bob Book's needs would require a new set of patterns and new cast developed. The deck height is around 1.5" too tall to start with

Alan Jones
Re: Dart SB Mopar Blocks [Re: pittsburghracer] #2576959
11/11/18 12:18 AM
11/11/18 12:18 AM
Ontario Canada
M
MattW Offline
master
MattW  Offline
master
M

Ontario Canada
Originally Posted By pittsburghracer
If find it FUNNY that the Gen3 guys continue to think they know what is best for us guys running the older stuff. But yet most of us are going faster than they are with the newer stuff. LOL. Some of you guys should just stick in the Gen3 area and keep buying and selling your stuff over and over again because it doesn't mate up. Sure a few NA Gen3 guys have their act together but most of the other guys are pissing in the wind. LMAO. The Gen3 stuff my look cool at the car shows and get an owwww and ahhhh at the car cruises but at the track old stuff shines.

Not knowing whats best. Knowing whats available!
Build your junk, I'll build mine junk and i've built both.
There is No new small block stuff out there. Having the victors SB heads are great but what do you put them under?
W9 W8 great heads but outdated tech.
P5 ?????
even the P7 are done, nothing to put them under.
The reasons the G3 are good is availability, strength and a head that has a very efficient combustion chamber.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4