Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2450556 - 02/12/18 06:15 AM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: Frankenduster]
Spaceman Spiff Offline
master

Loc: jersey
Originally Posted By Frankenduster
I find it really sad to learn that something as simple as a ONE HOUR switch can affect people this much. IT really shines a light on how fast they would die off in an apocolyptic event.

When it gets dark at 4pm... kinda hard to do much outside....

#2450645 - 02/12/18 10:32 AM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: DaveRS23]
Superfreak Offline
master

Loc: the great white north
That's what lights are for.

#2450648 - 02/12/18 10:39 AM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: Supercuda]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Loc: N.E. OHIO, USA
Originally Posted By Θάνατος
Originally Posted By Morty426
Why?

Because it's stupid and a waste of money

Arizona doesn't have it

stupid is subjective.

How does it waste money?

Arizona has McCain, next.

Well the farmers in the mid-West are complaining the extra hour of daylight is burning up their crops........................ wink

#2450652 - 02/12/18 10:49 AM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: John Brown]
HoosierTA Offline
master

Loc: Bloomington, IN
Originally Posted By John Brown
Indiana used to have one time all year around... and it was fine, but then the governor had this really bright idea. When I lived in Arizona we had one time all year around. Had no problem with it at all. Moved back to Indiana and clock changes twice a year all over again. If you want more light so you can play golf (ugg) start work earlier and close earlier. No reason to have government tell you when to get up and when to go to bed, or how to wipe either.

On top of that, they decided to let some areas be on central time, and one area with a huge naval facility which overlaps two counties- guess what? One switched and the other didn't- probably thought it would cause cows to dance with chickens.

Folks who commuted from a DST county had be be up at 4AM to be at work on time.

My other farm/recreation home is on central time. Been a couple times I had an event I wanted to do and my alarm went off at the time it began. Gets aggravating.

My biggest worry was that it would kill drive in movie places- waiting until 10PM for two a double feature to begin? our local one seems to be doing great though. So much that there is no way I am going to get there early for a spot and wait 2.5 hours.

#2450723 - 02/12/18 01:22 PM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: HoosierTA]
John Brown Offline
super stock

Loc: South Bend
Not only does Indiana go to DST for 9 or 10 months, but Indiana was moved into the Eastern Time Zone when it clearly belongs in the Central Time Zone. Same deal with Michigan. The break off line for the time zone goes through Cleveland Ohio (or nearly so). None of Indiana or Michigan are East of Cleveland on my map.

CENTRAL ZONE MAP

Red lines : The geographic limits of Central Zone
Blue line: The center of Central Zone

That's why the argument by the Drive-in Theatres Owners Association was that putting Indiana on DST was actually "Double Daylight".

#2450779 - 02/12/18 03:07 PM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: John Brown]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Not only does Indiana go to DST for 9 or 10 months, but Indiana was moved into the Eastern Time Zone when it clearly belongs in the Central Time Zone. Same deal with Michigan. The break off line for the time zone goes through Cleveland Ohio (or nearly so). None of Indiana or Michigan are East of Cleveland on my map.

CENTRAL ZONE MAP

That's why the argument by the Drive-in Theatres Owners Association was that putting Indiana on DST was actually "Double Daylight".

My son would gain an hour going to work and lose it coming home from work if the above geographic limits of time zones were in place..............would that mean he could leave an hour later for work and get home an hour sooner laugh2 (JK)

#2450788 - 02/12/18 03:18 PM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: John Brown]
300rag Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Alberta, Canada

CENTRAL ZONE MAP

I believe your boundaries are a little off. Your center line is actually close to the western edge of eastern time zone

Attachments
time-zones-of-us-map-vector.jpg

65 300 'vert 413/4spd
69 Monaco 500 318/727
69 Monaco 3-Seat Wagon 383/727
15 Ram 1500 4x4 crewcab 5.7

#2450802 - 02/12/18 03:46 PM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: 300rag]
A12 Offline
I Live Here

Quote:
I believe your boundaries are a little off. Your center line is actually close to the western edge of eastern time zone

Your map is showing the actual "current" time zones and the other map is the "geographical" location of the sun or earth's revolution position in regards to time for the day and time point in the year. (I think???) I think also with GPS and satellite positioning that geographical (time) zones are more accurate now then when they were first created......just a guess?

#2451006 - 02/12/18 08:51 PM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: A12]
John Brown Offline
super stock

Loc: South Bend
Originally Posted By A12
Quote:

Your map is showing the actual "current" time zones and the other map is the "geographical" location of the sun or earth's revolution position in regards to time for the day and time point in the year. (I think???) I think also with GPS and satellite positioning that geographical (time) zones are more accurate now then when they were first created......just a guess?

The map with the red and blue lines is a map that shows where the natural time zones would be if man in his infinite wisdom hadn't F'd with em. Imagine if you would that the sun isn't overhead until an hour and 45 minutes after the clock shows noon. That's how it is in Michigan and Indiana.

#2451012 - 02/12/18 09:01 PM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: John Brown]
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

Loc: On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
Not enough times zones. The current zones are too wide. work

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

#2451149 - 02/13/18 09:34 AM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: DaveRS23]
Supercuda Offline
I Live Here

There are no such things as "natural time zones". Time zones are a construct of man not nature. Nature gives a rats ass what time it is only man does and apparently some care enough to really wind them panties up.

Let us take this "natural time zone" idea to it's end conclusion. Everyone, every where, has their own timezone because it is never noon everywhere at the same time. So then we get back to why the current time zones were created, so that there was consistency in time in a reasonable geographic area, something nature cares nothing about. It does not matter where the cut lines end up, someone won't be happy, get a tissue.

Don't like DST, fine tell your boss you aren't changing your clock and that you will be there at your "normal" time.

You'll soon not have to worry about driving to work in the dark or whatever is winding them panties up.

#2451157 - 02/13/18 09:44 AM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: Supercuda]
wingman Offline

Loc: St. Charles, MO
Let's just put everyone on GMT (Zulu) time. That will really mess with everyone's mind...

#2451158 - 02/13/18 09:46 AM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: Supercuda]
65pacecar Offline
master

Loc: KY
Everyone, every where, has their own timezone because it is never noon everywhere at the same time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X_7wdpGvTms

Attachments
23B27B0B-CFE8-44F1-9A19-57D704C676F3.jpeg

Edited by 65pacecar (02/13/18 09:47 AM)

#2451617 - 02/14/18 09:08 AM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: 65pacecar]
moparx Offline
master

Loc: north of coder
Originally Posted By 65pacecar
Everyone, every where, has their own timezone because it is never noon everywhere at the same time.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X_7wdpGvTms

that's the exact song i thought of........ [ "i'm gone !" ]
beer

#2451698 - 02/14/18 01:06 PM Re: Europe might remove Daylight Saving Time.... [Re: Powerflow]
ChryCoGuy Offline
master

Loc: Canada
Originally Posted By Powerflow
The worst part of winter for me is that it gets dark early. The later the sunset, the better. I'd be in favor of year-round DST.

iagree

Getting dark at 4:30 to 5:00 pm sucks no matter how you slice it. I don't care if it's dark when I get up in the morning, but it would be nice to have some daylight when there's at least a chance to enjoy it (though usually it's dark when I get up and dark when I go home in the winter...).

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
25,145 Registered Members
32 Forums
186,700 Topics
2,172,232 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Brake booster help needed
by 70runner