Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5
Topic Options
#2428370 - 01/03/18 01:52 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Guitar Jones]
Morty426 Offline
master

Loc: Sacramento CA
Originally Posted By Guitar Jones
Originally Posted By Morty426
Originally Posted By SomeCarGuy
Ok morty, don’t listen to basically everybody that’s not from ca, that all have and will continue to tell you the same thing. I can imagine you moving out too, only to be met with the same sort of comments and still not getting it. Lmao.

I am listening. I am asking for a reason, it's you is not answering. What are we exporting? Our political beliefs? If so it's hogwash.

The biggest thing we export is money. Californians leave with a big bank roll and buy a fancy house in your neck of the woods and drive up the price.

I think that's called jealousy.

You think it's hogwash because you aren't experiencing it. It's the same here in Florida with northerners moving here. They like the weather but they want to bring the rest of their values here.

One of the lines I hate the most is "That's not how we did it back home."

First of all, we don't care how you did it back home, and secondly if it was so great there why are you here? Go back home.

Thanks! That was the type of response I wanted to hear.

You are 100% correct.

I'm sorry to tell you that my former neighbor moved to Florida and did nothing but complain at the slow pace of life there and how he wanted it like CA.

My comment was "Hey your the idiot that moved there."

Your response of "GO HOME" is exactly what I would say.

BTW - we get the same thing here when people move here.

Again thanks for the response up

#2428383 - 01/03/18 02:35 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Morty426]
Neil Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Eagle, Idaho
Have met several Californians who moved here and then moved elsewhere, or went back home after a few years.

Some of their complaints?

We have no pro sports teams.

No ocean nearby.

Cold weather.

Little public transportation other than riding the bus mostly with DUI Lottery winners and homeless types.

Aggressive employers who don't like providing health insurance, vacation time, automatically expect people to work weekends, no time off for maternity leave, likely to get fired if you get stuck on jury duty for too long, etc.

#2428385 - 01/03/18 02:38 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
BloFish Offline

Loc: Lake Oroville
Like I said before... the grass isn’t always greener laugh2

'65 A100
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2428389 - 01/03/18 02:44 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Neil]
Morty426 Offline
master

Originally Posted By Neil
Have met several Californians who moved here and then moved elsewhere, or went back home after a few years.

No ocean nearby.

Cold weather.

Little public transportation other than riding the bus mostly with DUI Lottery winners and homeless types.

Aggressive employers who don't like providing health insurance, vacation time, automatically expect people to work weekends, no time off for maternity leave, likely to get fired if you get stuck on jury duty for too long, etc.

I'm crossing Idaho off the list.

LOL

#2428406 - 01/03/18 03:13 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Neil]
3hundred Offline
master

Loc: Fort Worth, Texas

I'm guessing...construction?

Robert
'93 Ramcharger 318 sold
'01 3500 4x4 Cummins 6 speed
'13 300 S
'15 Durango 5.7 Hemi

#2428417 - 01/03/18 03:32 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Morty426]
QuickBpBp Offline
master

Loc: SE PA.

The biggest thing we export is money. Californians leave with a big bank roll and buy a fancy house in your neck of the woods and drive up the price.

Honestly this doesn't make sense to me. If they leave Ca. with a large bankroll they don't buy a 500k-up home where others are only valued at 100k unless they are financially stupid or have a "hey look at me attitude". That example brings up the value of homes around them and brings theirs down. So why would anyone be "jealous" as you say to that. Most buy/build a home like that where other homes are closely valued and fit right in financially. It's when you see what they brought with them like when there is an event at school and someone besides their child wins those people say "wait a minute my son didn't get a participation trophy back where I came from"....and the infection begins... Beliefs do not stay with-in state borders they travel with the people who believe in them.

#2428418 - 01/03/18 03:37 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: QuickBpBp]
RS23U1G Offline
Biggest Windbag on Moparts,Puff. Puff Puff.

Loc: Detroit
Consider the origin of that with which you take exception to...

#2428501 - 01/03/18 06:31 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Morty426]
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

Loc: On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...

No ocean nearby.

Cold weather.

I'm crossing Idaho off the list.

LOL
Idaho is ok. As long as it's on the other side of the state line. laugh2

devil

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

#2428515 - 01/03/18 06:51 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
EV2Bird Offline
On Vacation

Loc: Kansas Roads Between 0 and 140...
Wow, reading the last few pages. All I can say is Im happy where I live, dont think id pick any other place.

Its 35 miles to the nearest town of 3200, I passed 3 cars both ways this am.

#2428550 - 01/03/18 07:54 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: EV2Bird]
Guitar Jones Online   laugh2
master

Loc: in a cattle trailer down by th...
35 miles is a long way to a store, or a hospital. Some people are good with that, some are not.

#2428556 - 01/03/18 07:59 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: EV2Bird]
MidPenMopar Offline

Loc: South San Francisco, Californi...
My daughter was looking to buy a house in Clay City, Nebraska (near Hastings). It was a 30 year old home, about 2500 SQ feet, three bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage on two acres. The asking price was $39,000. Here that wouldn't pay for the concrete to pour the foundation!

Just insane how different prices are the further you get from a big city.

Stu

Check out our MPM Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/122972991051550/

#2428622 - 01/03/18 09:26 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: MidPenMopar]
Morty426 Offline
master

Originally Posted By MidPenMopar
My daughter was looking to buy a house in Clay City, Nebraska (near Hastings). It was a 30 year old home, about 2500 SQ feet, three bedroom, 2 bath, 2 car garage on two acres. The asking price was $39,000. Here that wouldn't pay for the concrete to pour the foundation!

Stu

Location, location, location Stu

#2428650 - 01/03/18 10:20 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
BloFish Offline

Loc: Lake Oroville
Where have I heard that before laugh2

'65 A100
'69 Barracuda
'06 Mega Cab 2500
'14 Mercedes-Benz SLK

#2428655 - 01/03/18 10:26 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: calmopar]
nutso suave Offline

Loc: delivering your oil
Camas is a very nice place, along with Washougal, Vancouver, and Battle Ground. The reasons you gave make sense...I live on the Washington side of the Oregon border and am very happy. PM me if you have any questions.

#2428664 - 01/03/18 10:47 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Morty426]
MidPenMopar Offline

Loc: South San Francisco, Californi...

Stu

Location, location, location Stu

Well said!! wink

Check out our MPM Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/groups/122972991051550/

#2428681 - 01/03/18 11:18 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Morty426]
SomeCarGuy Offline
master

Loc: Someplace you aren't
Originally Posted By Guitar Jones
Originally Posted By SomeCarGuy
Ok morty, don’t listen to basically everybody that’s not from ca, that all have and will continue to tell you the same thing. I can imagine you moving out too, only to be met with the same sort of comments and still not getting it. Lmao.

I am listening. I am asking for a reason, it's you is not answering. What are we exporting? Our political beliefs? If so it's hogwash.

You think it's hogwash because you aren't experiencing it. It's the same here in Florida with northerners moving here. They like the weather but they want to bring the rest of their values here.

One of the lines I hate the most is "That's not how we did it back home."

First of all, we don't care how you did it back home, and secondly if it was so great there why are you here? Go back home.

Thanks! That was the type of response I wanted to hear.

You are 100% correct.

I'm sorry to tell you that my former neighbor moved to Florida and did nothing but complain at the slow pace of life there and how he wanted it like CA.

My comment was "Hey your the idiot that moved there."

Your response of "GO HOME" is exactly what I would say.

BTW - we get the same thing here when people move here.

Again thanks for the response up

You were given this info previously, you just wanted to be anti, which is to say how a Californian shows up and behaves quite often. That is what irks the natives where they end up. I have to chuckle, again, that you don’t see you are being an example of this.

The OP started this thread describing the issues and his desire to flee them. You confirmed a variety of causation, term limits being one(putting this so you won’t claim no specifics again), and you went against the grain of tons of people saying it is so. Just have to laugh at that.

Put another way, again so you can get it, they don’t sell “Don’t Dixie my Cali” T shirts. They do hock ones supporting what they rest of us have been knocking you upside the head with. Whether you agree with the premise or not. Perception is reality at some point, again you might not agree with the perception.

#2428700 - 01/03/18 11:53 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: SomeCarGuy]
Dave Hall Offline
pro stock

Loc: Cotati, CA
So basically it IS all Californians? Feets was right! laugh

#2428948 - 01/04/18 01:21 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: Dave Hall]
flypaper Offline
I hate Texas

Loc: jersey shore
Originally Posted By Dave Hall
So basically it IS all Californians? Feets was right! laugh

shhh tsk
they are a very sensitive bunch on that side of the slab! wink

#2428973 - 01/04/18 02:05 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: flypaper]
peabodyracing Offline
top fuel

Loc: Minnesota
I don't know that I can say it's just California. The Minneapolis/St Paul, MN gets pretty 'out there' on a regular basis.

The City Council of Minneapolis tends to lead the charge on many and varied liberal fronts, 'fixing' everything from shopping bags to the minimum wage. The greater Metropolitan Council is determined that just about every societal ill we face can be fixed by more light rail, regardless of cost and ridership or lack thereof.

I remember vividly attending a committee meeting at the State Capital, discussing possible changes to sentencing guidelines for serious crimes. I thought that a pretty serious subject.

The meeting nearly got derailed when one elected official discovered (during the meeting) that the official sitting next to her had her home trash container provided by the refuse hauler at no charge. She was paying for hers. Oh, the horror.

I wish you well in whatever direction you ultimately take and hope it works out for you and the kids.

#2429090 - 01/04/18 04:09 PM Re: Contemplating a move - need a reality check [Re: MidPenMopar]
AndyF Offline
Too Many Posts

Loc: Oregon

Stu

That would work for me. Just need to build a nice big heated shop and then who cares where you are. As long as UPS delivers and there is high speed internet I'd be just fine in Clay City, NE.

As for California, it has been made fun of for at least the last 50 years and maybe even before. All you have to do is watch some movies from the 70's like Magnum Force and you'll see that 40 years ago people thought the politicians in CA were retarded morons. Not much has changed since then. A lot of people in CA as well as most people outside of CA consider CA politicians to be the stupidest ones around.

I don't know why it is, just something that started years ago and it seems to keep going. I know that 20+ years ago when I was in law school the professor would bring up a court case from CA and everyone would laugh at how stupid the judge's decision was. Almost every idiotic case we studied in law school came out of CA. The 9th circuit has a long history of writing idiotic decisions. Could be the climate, or the water, or maybe crazy attracts crazy. Who knows........

Page 5 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
25,073 Registered Members
32 Forums
185,627 Topics
2,157,743 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
67 GTX production numbers
by 440mopar
01/18/18 11:51 PM
Want aluminum wheels, 2006 Mega.. 17, 18, 20 ????
by sunroofgtx
01/18/18 10:58 PM
Ugly finish to the day....
by Satilite73
01/18/18 10:47 PM
Longtime Ohio CPD Dealer Albert Weekley passed away.
by 300by500
01/18/18 10:14 PM