Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#2415160 - 12/08/17 09:10 AM Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... [Re: crackedback]
feets Online   tonguue
Senior Management

Loc: Irving, TX
What exactly is a

Originally Posted By crackedback
DOOSHBAG!!!

?

Is that anything like a douche bag?

#2415189 - 12/08/17 10:00 AM Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... [Re: kidmopar]
srt Offline

Loc: Standing By
Power line law is very clear on whom owns and maintains the corridor for poles and aerial lines. Power line easements include not only the pole location, but the land between the poles and airspace the radiates up and out from the ground. It's the owner of the facilities that cause the need. Trees are natural and poles are not. If it were not for cost all power lines would be underground, save for transmission lines due to exorbitant costs associated with cooling high voltage. It's common for power companies to abate private owners landscaping that is planted where it may contact their facilities. There is no reason for a land owner to subsidize a for profit corporation. Would you maintain the public or private facilities (street, sidewalk, sewer, water, cable lines) in front of your home? I realize taxes provide some maintenance, many areas those facilities are privately owned and operated.
Excerpt from California Law (prompted by congress (law) prompted my massive power outages in Ohio.
"General Order 95 provides a bare minimum clearance for all areas throughout California for which local fire fighters are responsible. Areas that are outside city boundaries fall within the CalFire or U.S. Forest Service jurisdiction and are more strictly regulated by state law and have minimum clearance requirements for high voltage lines ranging from 4-10 feet, depending on voltage. Clearance must be sufficient to prevent vegetation from intersecting the power line considering foreseeable wind velocities, temperatures up to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, and character of the vegetation."

#2415205 - 12/08/17 10:35 AM Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... [Re: kidmopar]
Guitar Jones Offline
master

Loc: in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted By srt
Would you maintain the public or private facilities (street, sidewalk, sewer, water, cable lines) in front of your home?

The sidewalk, yes, the vegetation, yes. Why? Because I don't want my house to burn or someone to get hurt walking by.

#2415216 - 12/08/17 10:52 AM Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... [Re: kidmopar]
srt Offline

Where you live, is it an incorporated town/city where sidewalks are on your property and the vegetation is less tall than the power lines? I live in an un-incorporated rural area where parcels are large tracts.
I can assure you that I maintain everything I have responsibility. I don't believe I will subsidize private, for profit, companies or municipalities where I may incur liability for damaging their facilities.

#2415241 - 12/08/17 11:35 AM Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... [Re: srt]
Guitar Jones Offline
master

Loc: in a cattle trailer down by th...
Originally Posted By srt
Where you live, is it an incorporated town/city where sidewalks are on your property and the vegetation is less tall than the power lines? I live in an un-incorporated rural area where parcels are large tracts.
I can assure you that I maintain everything I have responsibility. I don't believe I will subsidize private, for profit, companies or municipalities where I may incur liability for damaging their facilities.

I don't have a sidewalk at this house but where I did at the previous house the county would maintain that and the 25' between it and the roadway, sometimes. I still cut the grass on a weekly basis regardless of who was supposed to take care of it. I didn't trim the trees but would hire someone to do it if the proper authorities failed to do it.

#2415250 - 12/08/17 11:56 AM Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... [Re: Guitar Jones]
skicker Offline
Pro Stock

Loc: Western Md.
Granted this doesn't apply to the devastation in Cali...but around here you have no choice but to take care of the county owned properties and easements...paper alleys and the like... They're not going to do anything...They get mowed regularly and leaves removed in the fall...
Locally it boils down to whether or not you care what happens to your property...

A while back I took down a dead tree in a paper alley...tree hugging neighbor had a conniption fit about it and called the county to complain. argue She was promptly told by them that they wished everyone would take care of their neighborhoods as they (the county) can't be everywhere... up yours you rancid little witch... tonguue
In hindsight I wished I'd have let it hit her house instead... frowwn

Sorry Doc...

We'll try again in 4 years...up

#2415297 - 12/08/17 01:42 PM Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... [Re: kidmopar]
srt Offline

G Jones, we are completely on the same page. Beware crossing your property lines though, I'm aware of instances where intentional falls by third parties cost individuals $$ in liability. A drunk leaving the restaurant tripped on a pothole in front that the restaurant owner had filled with gravel. This pothole was on the paved shoulder of a road and NOT in a driveway covered by an encroachment permit. The municipality successfully argued that the road crews would have noticed the hole and paved it and the drunk would have not scraped her nose.
Get permission! I do this every year prior to mowing (our) land that is part of a road easement and not used for road purposes. I don't like it, but today it's the way the blood suckers work.

#2415322 - 12/08/17 02:37 PM Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... [Re: autoxcuda]
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
Originally Posted By autoxcuda
Don't forget the Thomas fire in Ventura County. It's much bigger than the others.

100+ homes. 100's of structures. Saw classic cars just stashed at the bottom of the hills and parked in nearby parking lots in the city of Ventura. Very sad.

All roads between Ventura and Santa Barbera closed now.

This is near where the Thomas fire reportedly started north of Santa Paula far south of Ojai....

Is that Mullholland?

#2415539 - 12/08/17 09:48 PM Re: Los Angeles Area Fires ........... [Re: dart4forte]
crackedback Offline

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By dart4forte
Originally Posted By autoxcuda
Don't forget the Thomas fire in Ventura County. It's much bigger than the others.

100+ homes. 100's of structures. Saw classic cars just stashed at the bottom of the hills and parked in nearby parking lots in the city of Ventura. Very sad.

All roads between Ventura and Santa Barbera closed now.

This is near where the Thomas fire reportedly started north of Santa Paula far south of Ojai....

Is that Mullholland?

The Skirball fire is closer to mullholland. Right up to road at the 405.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
25,067 Registered Members
32 Forums
185,583 Topics
2,157,293 Posts

Most users ever online: 882 @ 03/05/17 10:15 PM
Moparts Newest Topics
Best head porting shops
by jkwedge540