Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 11 12 13
Topic Options
#2389736 - 10/19/17 08:53 AM Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly]
MoparBilly Online   content
master

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
With the hood done, we were looking for another project. So Glade, Boone, Rachael, Michelle and I decided to install the freshly painted, new to the car grille and headlight surrounds. It seemed like a fairly straightforward thing to do but we quickly came to realize it was anything but. The Gremlin front clip is all metal, but the inner fenders and radiator support are long gone, and the flimsy fabricated metal tree designed to hold everything in place had been on the car for fifteen years, three Drag Weeks and a wreck! In short, everything moved around, and we were trying to bolt up these nice forty year old plastic pieces which didn't remotely fit, with a bunch of irregular and mismatched screws thrown in a box. Michelle and Boone put about two hours into it, Rachael was on it for three, while Glade and I wrestled the sheet metal around for four! We had the headlight brackets out twice, slotted some of the mounting holes, swapped them side to side, and finally had to do some metal messaging to get everything in place, all very nerve wracking on fresh stuff!

The end product was significantly stiffer and easier to slide on the car afterwards, and that worried me that the plastic would get broken up at the mounting points by the end of the week, but so far,so good. It was around midnight when we finished it up, so Rachael, Boone and I decided to call it a night. It was pretty clear Dale was going to still be out there when we arrived Saturday morning, and we didn't want any of that!

Attachments
IMG_0067 - Copy.JPG

IMG_0076 - Copy.JPG

#2389845 - 10/19/17 12:47 PM Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly]
JERICOGTX Offline
master

Loc: MN
drinking

#2390261 - 10/20/17 10:40 AM Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly]
OUTLAWD Offline
top fuel

Loc: Plymouth, MI
"Gizmo X"? what happened to "Spike?

Great story as always!

71 Swinger - slowly collecting dust/parts
66 Belv. II - FITech test rig...

#2390384 - 10/20/17 04:12 PM Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly]
fast68plymouth Offline
I Live Here

Loc: So. Burlington, Vt.
This is definitely one of the gem threads/themes that I've come across on the Internet car hobby sites.

Always a good read.

#2390728 - Yesterday at 08:59 AM Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly]
master

"I was surprised to see Michelle and Will here at Dale's tonight, I figured they still had work to do on the purple Duster", I commented when the three of us got in Boone's truck.
"She posted pics on Facebook showing it being worked on at Pinnacle Performance", Rachael added.
"Mike Mayopoulos' shop", Boone nodded, "So she let a bunch of Ford guys work on it". He looked over at me as we eased out of Dale's drive, "I thought she was going to have you tow it up to Cordova behind the Valiant?"
"I asked her tonight and she said they had borrowed a trailer from Glade and were going to tow it themselves, and I guess Derek borrowed his mom's truck, so they are set", I explained.
"Did they ask you what time we were leaving tomorrow?"
"Yeah", I laughed, "I told them around noon...or four pm!"
"They seem to be struggling with the whole lack of a concrete timetable", Boone added.
"They'll get used to it", Rachael concluded, "Or they'll learn to leave us behind...one or the other".

Attachments
21369327_1931427657180865_1339003653583129519_n.jpg

21369104_1931427647180866_3278282946382994117_n.jpg

21462263_1931427660514198_8508146938588940617_n.jpg

#2391024 - Yesterday at 10:16 PM Re: Hot Rod Drag Week 2017: The Experience. [Re: MoparBilly]
master

Saturday 9/9 Moving day!

We arrived at Dale's the next morning, and found him and Kelton still plugging away on the Gremlin. We learned from talking to Jacque that they had slept about three hours each. They were getting help from Dylan Samaroo, of DS Race Cars, who had been working on Beehler's car. When Beehler pulled the plug on his effort, Dylan had been fully invested and was planning to ride shotgun. Since Dale didn't have a co-pilot, he invited Dylan to ride with him.
The frustrating thing for me was that the biggest problem they were fighting was making the tunnel ran linkage and fuel delivery system work with his two 4500 big shot plates mounted and plumbed. Dale is the only brother that has yet to win a plaque for top three in his class, despite usually bringing our fastest car. When we looked at the 2017 entry list we were encouraged that a couple of the guys who have dominated Modified NA weren't going to compete in that class this year, so we had all agreed this would be Dale's best shot. So if he was on board with running NA, why all the extra work to mount the nitrous when we were clearly running out of time.
"Why are you putting in so much time to make the nitrous functional when you already agreed to run NA?"
"Well", he gave me a dead eye stare, "I'm certainly going to spray it when I get home, and I don't want to do all this twice!"
"Monte made it quite clear to you that plates under the carbs was a bad idea with a tunnel ram, you should've just waited until you had time to do a proper fogger!"
"This is what I've got, and this is what I'm going to use", he shook his head.
"What about the 3.73 gears?"
"They are going in, I can't make another trip on the 4.10s."
"This is about the same time last year that you decided we didn't have time to put them in. All year you've whined about needing parts to fix the engine and needing parts to fix the front sheet metal and I've told you over and over to put the gears in and here we are right back in the same predicament!"
"It is what it is", he shrugged, "load your stuff and head that way."

I did exactly that, so Rachael and I had everything secure and ready to roll in about two hours. It was already noon, which was the time we had agreed upon leaving. I was helping Boone load the Duster on his trailer when he brought up something I'd been trying to avoid.
"You know Mom and Grand Mother are in the Motor Home over at Darren's, you better swing by there and at least tell them goodbye".
"You know that will take every bit of two hours to escape them", I complained.
"But it gives you a good excuse to get out of here", Boone smiled.

We went over to Darren's, listened to him fire his up for the first time, Mom fed us, we visited with Grand Mother, and were just getting ready to leave for Illinois when Boone called.
"The little trailer won't fit behind my trailer with the Duster on it, so we need to load the trailer on your two car!"
"You've pulled it behind there before", I protested.
"With the Gremlin...the Duster overhangs too much and the trailer hits the Duster bumper before the tongue makes it to the ball", he explained.
"Then load the Gremlin on your trailer!"
"That would mean I would have to wait for the Gremlin to be finished, and I'm driving by myself, so I need to leave just as bad as you do!"

Attachments
IMG_0075.JPG

IMG_0078.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

Page 13 of 13 < 1 2 11 12 13

Advertisement
Sponsored Link
Forum Stats
24,901 Registered Members
32 Forums
184,302 Topics
2,135,368 Posts