Moparts

Solid lifters??

Posted By: HotRodDave

Solid lifters?? - 07/21/22 04:58 PM

Why would it not be possible to run solid lifters and adjust them the way it is done on [censored] cars except different length pushrods instead of different lash cap bucket thingies? It may get expensive to order a bunch of very slightly different length pushrods but it would allow to the lightest possible rocker with no adjuster and a very light lifter... has anyone done anything like this?

My thought would be to order one set how you normally would then measure clearance and order 16 very slightly different ones to fit each individual cylinder. Even ordering 3 or 4 sets like this and playing around with them would be much cheaper than one set of adjustable rockers...

As far as solid lifter are concerned is there any drop in ones available? If not can you just pull the guts out of a stock one and put the cup into the bottom of it somehow?
Posted By: CSK

Re: Solid lifters?? - 07/21/22 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Why would it not be possible to run solid lifters and adjust them the way it is done on [censored] cars except different length pushrods instead of different lash cap bucket thingies? It may get expensive to order a bunch of very slightly different length pushrods but it would allow to the lightest possible rocker with no adjuster and a very light lifter... has anyone done anything like this?

My thought would be to order one set how you normally would then measure clearance and order 16 very slightly different ones to fit each individual cylinder. Even ordering 3 or 4 sets like this and playing around with them would be much cheaper than one set of adjustable rockers...

As far as solid lifter are concerned is there any drop in ones available? If not can you just pull the guts out of a stock one and put the cup into the bottom of it somehow?

They make adjustable push rods
Posted By: Dyno1

Re: Solid lifters?? - 07/22/22 07:35 PM

I looked for a solid drop in style lifter and could not find one. I walked the PRI show and asked all the manufacturers. Jesel does make something but is big $$$. Comp does make a tie bar short travel lifter I installed in my new stocker engine, but I have not dynoed it yet. I do have the new T&D roller rockers and Smith Brothers push rods. I need something that can run to 8000 rpm.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: Solid lifters?? - 07/23/22 09:38 PM

Comp Cams makes 2 piece pushrods for LS motors. They are adjustable in .004" increments. I would think they will work but it looks like the Intakes will have to be shortened.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Solid lifters?? - 09/02/22 05:37 AM

I've been told that the NASCAR cup motors are that way, valve lash clearances are done with different length pushrods only shruggy scope
Posted By: Brad_Haak

Re: Solid lifters?? - 09/02/22 12:55 PM

The spec sheets for the latest 426 and 5.7 SC Drag Paks say they use solid lifters, but they don't specify from what manufacturer.

Re: Solid lifters?? - 09/02/22 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
I've been told that the NASCAR cup motors are that way, valve lash clearances are done with different length pushrods only shruggy scope

I have watched a bunch of videos of modern NASCAR engines being built and it seems they use a combination of that and shimming the rockers up and down a few thou... that surprises me a little as it makes it seem as if they are not super concerned about a tiny bit of rocker arm geometry... or maybe I am just missing something?
Posted By: Dyno1

Re: Solid lifters?? - 09/24/22 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by Brad_Haak
The spec sheets for the latest 426 and 5.7 SC Drag Paks say they use solid lifters, but they don't specify from what manufacturer.

I have been searching for a solid lifter for the Gen 3 hemi. I have been told that Jesel does make one, but are in the $3500.00 range. I know quality cost $$$, but that is out of my budget. The only option I see is to buy a new set of lifters from Dodge and remove the guts and shim them up. I did buy the rocker setup from T&D, which is very nice, so I can adjust the lash. Years ago I used the Smith Brothers adjustable pushrods on a LS1 engine. On stock valve spring engines, they may be OK, but on a performance engine with high spring pressures, they flexed to much. .

Re: Solid lifters?? - 09/24/22 06:18 PM

Not really any room for adjustable pushrods in these
Posted By: CSK

Re: Solid lifters?? - 09/24/22 06:36 PM

I would call Johnson Lifters & talk to them ,they make a short travel hydro, NOT Johnson hylift
© 2024 Moparts Forums