Moparts

Fuel pump question.nn

Posted By: rattler

Fuel pump question.nn - 07/30/18 02:51 AM

I have put an 05 model 5.7 and Nag-1 auto in my 64 wagon. Question is, what fuel pump can I use? This will be factory fuel injection. I can't mount the pump in the tank as this is a wagon with the stock tank.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Fuel pump question.nn - 07/30/18 05:17 AM

I'd recommend the tank inc style pump and convert you oem. This is how I did a coronet wagon for a 6.1 swap. You can run an external pump, but you'd have to keep the tank over to be safe. Or add a sump to the tank.
Posted By: mrploww

Re: Fuel pump question.nn - 07/30/18 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By Silver70
I'd recommend the tank inc style pump and convert you oem. This is how I did a coronet wagon for a 6.1 swap. You can run an external pump, but you'd have to keep the tank over to be safe. Or add a sump to the tank.

Any pics of the 6.1 swap or fuel tank? I am getting ready to put a 6.1 in my '64 Plymouth wagon.

Re: Fuel pump question.nn - 07/31/18 03:24 AM

I don't know where the tank is in a 67, but in a 64, it's turned up on it's side in the driver side quarter panel.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Fuel pump question.nn - 07/31/18 07:24 PM

Yes, the station wagon gas tank. Where to put it? Where to put the spare tire? I see no way of obtaining a replacement and no easy way to put a pump in the tank.

I would use an external pump situated under the vehicle right under the tank. There would nearly always be a little pressure on the inlet side of the pump after you got the siphon started. The pump should be pretty happy with this arrangement. Try to keep away from exhaust components. If it cannot be avoided, then use a shield to block the radiant energy being emitted by the exhaust. I had an external pump vapor lock because air went over the exhaust pipe and then heated up my fuel pump. One shield and two feet of polyfoam tubing insulation fixed that.

R.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Fuel pump question.nn - 07/31/18 10:46 PM

consider a surge tank instead.
not a hemi, but efi in a 65 coronet vert.
I just got a new tank and had it coated and decided to put in efi.
Didn't want to cut and weld the brand new tank. or use the areomotive kit as I wanted to keep my gauge as well.

I don't recommend the surge tank I got, as I found it was hard to seal up because it was round.
works fine, just a pain to set up.
https://store.034motorsport.com/fully-en...-fuel-pump.html

So a member on here sells one, also fi tech has the commander setup as well.

Re: Fuel pump question.nn - 08/01/18 04:30 AM

Dogdays, thats my situation. I am keeping the stock tank, and keeping the spare tire in the well where it belongs. I figured I would mount the pump as close as I could, but I wasn't sure what brand of pump others were using.
Posted By: mrploww

Re: Fuel pump question.nn - 08/01/18 08:25 PM

Originally Posted By Andrewh
consider a surge tank instead.
not a hemi, but efi in a 65 coronet vert.
I just got a new tank and had it coated and decided to put in efi.
Didn't want to cut and weld the brand new tank. or use the areomotive kit as I wanted to keep my gauge as well.

I don't recommend the surge tank I got, as I found it was hard to seal up because it was round.
works fine, just a pain to set up.
https://store.034motorsport.com/fully-en...-fuel-pump.html

So a member on here sells one, also fi tech has the commander setup as well.

How does the surge tank work? You don't have to have a return line to tank?
Posted By: furious70

Re: Fuel pump question.nn - 08/02/18 03:47 AM

I've been efi since 2009 and just used a walbro 255 hanging on the frame rail with a pre filter and the sock removed from the stock pickup. No issues
© 2024 Moparts Forums