Moparts

anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp?

Posted By: ogopogo

anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp? - 04/03/18 05:13 PM

I think the hellcrate is an absolute bargain and am ready to buy but the 4-5k for the seemingly required aftermarket front steering/suspension/crossmember kills my wallet.
Is it 100% required? can a guy cut/hack modify the existing mopar parts to work?
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp? - 04/03/18 05:26 PM

The only sticking point I can see is the hellcat specific oil pan and front cover may interfere with the front of the K frame. Of course the K frame could be notched to make it work.
Posted By: MattW

Re: anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp? - 04/04/18 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By ogopogo
I think the hellcrate is an absolute bargain and am ready to buy but the 4-5k for the seemingly required aftermarket front steering/suspension/crossmember kills my wallet.
Is it 100% required? can a guy cut/hack modify the existing mopar parts to work?

Why? the hellcat engine is the same block as any G3. In a A B E body you will need to make mounts or buy them and change the oil pan to fit.
Or I'm I missing something?
Matt

Re: anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp? - 04/04/18 02:04 AM

I believe the front cover of a hellcat and the front of the oil pan of a hellcat are a little different than the rest of the G3 family. Or so I have been told. In other words an aftermarket oil pan and a hellcat timing cover may not play nice with each other.
Posted By: AeroMonte

Re: anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp? - 04/04/18 04:15 AM

Originally Posted By hudsonhornet7x
I believe the front cover of a hellcat and the front of the oil pan of a hellcat are a little different than the rest of the G3 family. Or so I have been told. In other words an aftermarket oil pan and a hellcat timing cover may not play nice with each other.

I used a Hemi Jeep oil pan, rear sump, on our Hellcat swap. You have to trim a little off the front lip and drill two holes to mate up with the Hellcat cover. Worked out fine.

Re: anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp? - 04/04/18 04:16 AM

That is great to hear!! I am not that far along in our project yet. Thanks for sharing.

Re: anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp? - 04/04/18 04:41 AM

Jeep pan on the Hellcat

Attached picture 20180126_135421 (2).jpg
Attached picture 20180126_141841 (2).jpg
Posted By: Dragula

Re: anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp? - 04/04/18 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By ogopogo

Couple places make mounts that will allow it to bolt right in a stock Mopar front end. Its much tricier if you want to put an engine plate in to mount it like I do.

I also agree, its a a very good bargain. Indy and MagnumForce I believe sell the mounts. And Milodon sells the pan....
Posted By: 75DartHang10

Re: anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp? - 04/05/18 01:10 AM

please post up any direct links to swap parts etc to help the rest of us out.
Posted By: mymcodebee

Re: anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp? - 04/19/18 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By AeroMonte
Jeep pan on the Hellcat

Have you tried to fit a mini starter yet. Sounds like we may need to grind off the excess part of the pan the and block to make it fit..
Posted By: MattW

Re: anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp? - 04/20/18 01:57 AM

Jeep pan on the Hellcat

Who made the engine mounts?
Matt

Re: anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp? - 04/20/18 03:43 AM

Originally Posted By MattW
Jeep pan on the Hellcat

Who made the engine mounts?
Matt

Got the mounts from RMS in Pa. I'm using the starter that came with the Hellcat engine. Already test fit it.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp? - 04/20/18 04:04 AM

What side of the engine is the starter designed to mount on?

Re: anyway to install hellcrate without aftermarket fr susp? - 04/20/18 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By Silver70
What side of the engine is the starter designed to mount on?

I used a GM 4L80 race prepped automatic, modified with a Reid Mopar bellhousing. It is made so the starter can mount on either side but I am using the stock location on the passenger side. With the Hellcat brake booster and stock exhaust manifolds, it's getting crowded on the drivers side.
© 2024 Moparts Forums