Moparts

Gen 3 flywheel types?

Posted By: RylisPro

Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/03/18 12:44 AM

What type of flywheels are you guys running? Choices are slim on flywheels for Gen 3 and I am looking to get some made. Just don't know what would sell more?
Choices are:
A. 10.5" steel billet 130t
B. 11.0" steel billet 130t
C. 10.5" aluminum 143t
D. 11.0" aluminum 143t

All of the flywheels will be Made in USA, SFI rated and be priced less than what is currently available on the market since there is no way I can compete with Summit or Jegs.

You can vote twice and results will show after voting.
Thanks!
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/03/18 05:04 AM

If someone is already making these, wondering what you would do to differentiate yourself in the market? I bought my new in box aluminum 10.5” flywheel off eBay for less than $150. Also got a steel 10.5” from SST if the aluminum one doesn’t work out.

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/03/18 06:35 AM

I would be offering them at a lower price point, that is all. I need to get the flywheels for way less than retail and in doing so would pass the savings to anyone that would need one.

There is no way I can beat a $150 flywheel though, hopefully the ones on Ebay are of high quality.
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/03/18 05:00 PM

RylisPro, you have a pm. Thanks
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/03/18 05:34 PM

I think 10.5 130 is going to be your best sellers , Steel or Alum.

edit it from Beast to best

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/03/18 05:42 PM

Thanks! That is what I'm thinking as well 10.5 130t.
I have a billet steel flywheel currently and curious about the aluminum version. The steel works great though so why fix if not broken haha!
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/03/18 06:13 PM

I was under the impression to use a quick time bell, you have to use an 10.5" flywheel/130 tooth. Maybe that's not the case? But either way I'd guess that's what others would be looking for based on that also. Then you can run a cheaper 10.5 gm clutch also. I have a billet aluminum for mine, based on it was the cheapest I could find. laugh2

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/06/18 12:16 AM

I'm going to be producing 10.5" 130t steel flywheels exclusively. It is the much bigger market material wise so I'm not even going to bother with the added cost of aluminum flywheels.

All my flywheels will also be lightened so that I can differentiate myself from the stuff out there already. It will cost a little extra but will be a nice feature for road racers. A little quicker RPM's but with the strength and safety of billet steel
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/14/18 01:40 AM

I agree, aluminum flywheels are a very small section of the market.

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/14/18 02:00 AM

My flywheels are now available for purchase and aluminim versions are still available for special order. Regular weight flywheels are an option as well and a few bucks less than the lightened billet steel versions.

All steel flywheels are made of USA sourced A-36 mild carbon steel plate. Plate is used as it provides better strength than 1018 bar steel. Aluminum flywheels are constructed of all domestic 6061 T6 plate.

Every single flywheel will be SFI certified and Made in USA!

I am currently getting a batch made and will post up pics as soon as I get them!

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/14/18 03:52 PM

Awesome

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/16/18 02:29 AM

Hey everyone,
Unfortunately my pricing may go up soon. The President has imposed a tariff on imported steel and aluminum.
www.washingtonpost.com/news/business/wp/...luminum-imports

My manufacturer says this allows US mills to raise their prices. As of today, US mills have raised pricing $15.00 per part over the last two weeks.

Just wanted to be upfront if and when my pricing changes. Hopefully not too much. I haven't even sold any flywheels yet
down

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/20/18 11:22 AM

My flywheels came in and they look awesome like works of art!
Here are the Mopar 10.5" 130t flywheels

Lightened billet steel roughly 20lbs. on the left and standard weight about 25lbs. on the right.

Aluminum Small block Mopar weighs roughly around 15lbs.

More pics on my Instagram
Each and every flywheel is Made in USA! Get yours at http://www.rylispro.com/product/billet-steel-flywheels

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/20/18 12:27 PM

HOLLY CRAP That's a great Price.

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/20/18 04:43 PM

Hey ric3xrt!
The $205 price is for the LS engine flywheel only.
The Mopar flywheels are a bit more but at still a good price for now.

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/20/18 08:04 PM

I was talking about the $220 price pretty good price for a G3 wheel.
Those Flywheels look nice.

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/20/18 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By ric3xrt
I was talking about the $220 price pretty good price for a G3 wheel.
Those Flywheels look nice.

That price is for the standard weight G3 Hemi 10.5" 130t with a driver side starter location.

Yes these flywheels are very nice indeed! Thanks!

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/20/18 09:41 PM

What's the difference between driver and passenger side starter location for the flywheels? I didn't know there was a difference.

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/20/18 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By Silver70
What's the difference between driver and passenger side starter location for the flywheels? I didn't know there was a difference.

On the driver side starter flywheel for the G3 Hemi the ring gear is located pretty much flush closest to the transmission. That is where the ridge for the ring gear is located as shown on the pic above.

On the passenger side starter flywheel for G3 Hemi the ring gear is located much closer to the block and uses a completely different wheel so you cannot just move the ring gear over as the ridge for the ring gear is located a few thousandths away from the crankshaft.

This is according to the manufacturer and I was not aware of that myself. Either way both versions will be priced the same.

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/21/18 06:33 AM

The pic is of 2 ds style flywheels?

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/21/18 07:44 AM

Originally Posted By Silver70
The pic is of 2 ds style flywheels?

Yes the pic shows 2 driver side flywheels. The one on the left shows how much material was taken off vs. the flywheel on the right.

I needed to compare the weights of the standard weight billet steel vs. lightened billet steel vs. aluminum 10.5" 130t flywheels. The standard weight and aluminum flywheels are for sale.

The lightened billet steel above is mine to keep as its so f@×king awesome!

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/21/18 08:52 AM

Looked at the billet aluminum one I have and turns out it is the passenger side starter style which matches my bell... lucky I guess.

Wonder what happens if you mix them up... if they still catch but not fully or what.

All the ones I've saw for sale seem to be ps style. At least the mp ones like mine.

Re: Gen 3 flywheel types? - 03/21/18 09:08 AM

Lucky for sure!
I would think that if you mixed the flywheels around that the starter gear probably wouldn't catch and worst case the ring gear teeth would end up getting chipped. That results in the engine not starting easily and one would need to flip the ring gear teeth over. I had to do that before on my old 340 small block flywheel with a propane torch, not a fun experience.
© 2024 Moparts Forums