Moparts

Hellcat Crate Swap.....

Posted By: Dragula

Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 02/24/18 03:35 AM

Who's done one, how are you guys mounting yours?

I got a tubular k-member, so I am curious what the options are.

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 02/25/18 03:11 AM

You know, if you guys make me figure everything out myself...And I go thru with this, I am not telling how I did it...
Posted By: mymcodebee

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 02/25/18 03:59 AM

I just ordered a transformer suspension with mounts for the charger were doing.

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 02/25/18 04:09 AM

Well I have the MF tubular and it has no motor mounts. Always used a motor plate...

Did you order yours with motor mounts?
Posted By: biff426

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 02/25/18 04:52 AM

Pretty sure the motor plate AEI makes would work on the hell cat you would have to ask but that would be the way I would do it. Not sure how it impacts the belt routing.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 02/26/18 04:19 AM

I would imagine a motor plate would not be any fun with the hellcat motor. Lots to remove to get to it and I am sure it would impact accessory spacing and cause hell with the belt. I would look at fabricating some motor mounts on your K-frame.
Posted By: B5 Classic

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 02/26/18 05:35 AM

I am using an AlterKtion front suspension to mount my Hellcrate into my '69 Cuda. All fabbing and fitting was done with my originally planned 6.1 based BES 392 stroker. Just got side tracked when they came out with the Hellcrate. The only problem I anticipate is possible interference between the firewall and the cast aluminum, cooling water manifold bolted to the back of the blower case. Probably won't have time to fit the Hellcrate until May. Is your car an A body? Would love to know what you've found if you set the Hellcrate in the engine bay.

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 02/26/18 12:49 PM

My first thought was to put it in my 70 Cuda...since my 605 Hemi is hemorrhaging oil pressure...I am looking for a new power plant. Tired of doing the wedge thing, and tired of Gen2 Hemi's not being reliable.....The car will handle the engine, but can only use a plate to mount it. Never had engine mounts with the tubular k-frame...
Posted By: biff426

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 02/26/18 02:10 PM

I am assuming a car with tubular K frame = no accessories other then water pump and Alt I would think the plate is doable I would call AEI you will probably need to fab a tensioner program and I believe the stock water pump goes away but I would think you could drive the blower and alt with the same belt and use an electric water pump just fab a tensioner
Posted By: RTSE4ME

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 02/26/18 04:25 PM

Looks like the supercharger drive might be the hard part?
Accessories wouldn't be that bad. I would think fabbing engine mounts would be easier.

Attached picture hellcat.png
Posted By: AeroMonte

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 02/27/18 02:04 AM

This tubular k frame was in our Barracuda when we bought it. I made the mounts out of cardboard first, set the hellcat into the car where it needed to be, made the plates from 1/4 inch plate and tack welded in place. Bought motor mounts from RPM. It fits great in the car even with the coolant crossover.

Attached picture 20180208_130923.jpg
Attached picture 20180123_144043.jpg
Attached picture 20180123_144057.jpg
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 02/27/18 04:02 PM

Don't think you will be able to combine the AEI plate with any of the drive system on the hellcrate. I have not seen any blower drive systems that wont have to be custom made with a motor plate/gen3 setup. I'd add mounts like AeroMonte did if you already have the hellcrate.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 02/28/18 11:17 PM

Make mounts and leave engine stock would be way less stressful IMO.
Posted By: aus370

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 03/01/18 10:44 AM

That's my thoughts as well , beef up the tubular k frame if necessary to take mounts.
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 03/01/18 02:51 PM

You might want to look at the Comp engineering mount with a mid plate. www.summitracing.com/int/parts/cee-4012
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 03/01/18 03:47 PM

my .02 worth , I'd get an AEI plate ,ATI Hellcat damper put a cog belt pulley on the ATI damper(it can be done it has been done) Cog belt the blower, electric water pump and separate belt for the alt.
Your Cuda doesn't strike me as a air-conditioner queen

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 03/04/18 08:30 PM

So a little more digging, and I found this comparison of timing covers...Looks like they are different and would require a unique engine plate...

Good write up in HRM
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/we-take-a-hard-look-at-dodges-paradigm-shifting-707hp-hellcat-hemi/

Attached picture dodge-370ci-v-8-supercharged-hellcat-hemi-engine-front-cover-392-apache-comparison.jpg

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 03/05/18 09:06 PM

My AEI motor plate uses a modified truck timing cover.
Posted By: onig

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 03/06/18 02:56 AM

Originally Posted By Quickrunner
My AEI motor plate uses a modified truck timing cover.

Any pics of this?

Re: Hellcat Crate Swap..... - 03/06/18 10:28 PM

Not a good pic of the cover, think AEI has a pic on their site.

Attached picture Plate2.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums