Moparts

0-w40 oil question

Posted By: AeroMonte

0-w40 oil question - 12/27/17 03:30 PM

I read somewhere that I should not be using 0-W40 oil as recommended by Mopar in our Hellcat and Demon cars. Now I can't find the article back. Wouldn't this void the warranty if I don't? The article said there were several engine failures because of this oil and I really don't want to chance it if it is true. Looking for insight from those smarter than me.
Posted By: A39Coronet

Re: 0-w40 oil question - 12/27/17 04:42 PM

What does the manufacturer recommend? Anyone else doesn't matter, as they didn't design the engine and are likely going off of some sort of archaic information.
Posted By: AeroMonte

Re: 0-w40 oil question - 12/27/17 06:01 PM

Manufacturer says 0-W40, but if there are issues I want to know

Re: 0-w40 oil question - 12/27/17 06:24 PM

If there were issues, Mopar/Dodge would be the first to know, and the first to let customers know. Engineers came up with the oil recommendations for a reason.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: 0-w40 oil question - 12/27/17 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By A39Coronet
If there were issues, Mopar/Dodge would be the first to know, and the first to let customers know. Engineers came up with the oil recommendations for a reason.

Better fuel milage. Thats it. The only reason OEM's require 0 weight oil. Blame it on the govt

Re: 0-w40 oil question - 12/27/17 07:54 PM

Oh I don't doubt that one bit...but I'm sure these engine was designed with those restrictions in mind.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 0-w40 oil question - 12/27/17 07:55 PM

the much tighter tollerances in the modern engines is why they need 0 weight, the thicker it gets the more it is like glue with that tight and precise of a tollerance. MPG on a demon or even a hellcat is insignificant. If they thought it was going to destroy and engine with that 60K warranty and they could solve it by recomending 5 or 10 weight they would be all over it.
Posted By: EagleDuster

Re: 0-w40 oil question - 12/27/17 11:41 PM

I would be more concerned with voiding the warranty than blowing up my engine while it's still under said warranty... Dealers will try to find any stupid little reason to deny a warranty repair. I know there was a guy on YouTube with a Hellcat Charger, something broke in the supercharger system and his dealer refused to fix the car under warranty because he had an aftermarket cold-air intake. He finally did get it fixed for free but not after a whole bunch of legal BS getting second and third opinions and communicating directly with FCA on the issue which took a few months IIRC.
Posted By: mike s

Re: 0-w40 oil question - 01/06/18 01:32 AM

I would not use any oil that was not factory fill. The oil was formulated specifically for the engines. Very different oil than reg syn.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 0-w40 oil question - 01/06/18 02:55 AM

Originally Posted By sixpackgut
Originally Posted By A39Coronet

Better fuel milage. Thats it. The only reason OEM's require 0 weight oil. Blame it on the govt

The ignorance in this statement is overwhelming and a prime example of why the OP should listen to the manufacturer and not some internet clown.

Do you even know what 0w40 means?

No, you do not.

Educate yourself

http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/
Posted By: racerhog

Re: 0-w40 oil question - 01/06/18 07:14 PM

Ouch.. Hot Rod Dave it the nail on the head...tolerances...
© 2024 Moparts Forums