Moparts

Hellcat swap, automatic trans ?

Posted By: AeroMonte

Hellcat swap, automatic trans ? - 11/22/17 04:26 AM

Ok, I'm just starting a Hellcat swap into a 71 Barracuda. I want to use the automatic trans that came out of the donor car but not sure about the wiring issues. I plan on using the new plug and play wire kit from Chrysler for the engine but it doesn't have provisions for the transmission. Can anybody shed some light on this subject?
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: Hellcat swap, automatic trans ? - 11/22/17 04:43 AM

The trans is going to cause you some troubles. With these new cars everything is interconnected. I also do not think that the 8 speed has aftermarket support for harnesses.

Personally I would run a 4l80E behind the Hellcat and enjoy the car that way.

Re: Hellcat swap, automatic trans ? - 11/22/17 04:58 AM

Someone else mentioned that too. Where would I find adaptors?
Posted By: Saskabusa

Re: Hellcat swap, automatic trans ? - 11/22/17 04:59 AM

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp-1203-transmission-controllers-tested/
Posted By: SRT6776

Re: Hellcat swap, automatic trans ? - 11/22/17 06:28 AM

If using a donor car you may find some tips here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRh5KIVO3CM
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: Hellcat swap, automatic trans ? - 11/22/17 07:44 PM

I have a friend who put the 392 crate in a 68 Dart and used a 7 or 8 speed Chevy trans, works very good. I'll talk to him to get the info than pass it on. Many pieces have to be added to use that 8 speed trans, from wheel censers to output and drive shaft changes (no slip yoke)
Mike

Re: Hellcat swap, automatic trans ? - 11/23/17 02:37 AM

Thanks. It looks like the GM 4L80 will be the best option. It has a stand alone tuner for it and Chrysler has a stand alone kit for the engine. The car has a 94 Corvette rear end in it already and an Altercation front end.

Re: Hellcat swap, automatic trans ? - 11/28/17 05:07 AM

Will a built 5-45RFE 2wd trans hold up to the Hellcat horsepower? This car will not be beat on like a race car but will be driven.

Re: Hellcat swap, automatic trans ? - 01/19/18 04:46 AM

Went with a GM 4L80 with a Mopar bell housing adapted to it. It's a stage V from RPM transmissions. It fits the car very well and has a stand alone tuner for the trans which plugs into the HOLLEY DOMINATOR wiring kit I'm using. I'll try to post pics later. The cars previous owner cut the floor for a modern 5 spd and the 4L80 is much smaller so....need to fab a tunnel now.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Hellcat swap, automatic trans ? - 01/19/18 05:36 AM

Good plan passing over the 545rfe. It seems any power over stock kills them
Posted By: kpzbee

Re: Hellcat swap, automatic trans ? - 01/22/18 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By AeroMonte
Someone else mentioned that too. Where would I find adaptors?

I'm using one of these 5.7L-350AT with a 4L60E behind an Eagle. http://www.wilcap.com/mopar.html
It's a really nice piece that's 3/4" thick.
Posted By: 71Chip

Re: Hellcat swap, automatic trans ? - 04/05/19 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by AeroMonte
Went with a GM 4L80 with a Mopar bell housing adapted to it. It's a stage V from RPM transmissions. It fits the car very well and has a stand alone tuner for the trans which plugs into the HOLLEY DOMINATOR wiring kit I'm using. I'll try to post pics later. The cars previous owner cut the floor for a modern 5 spd and the 4L80 is much smaller so....need to fab a tunnel now.

You do not need a standalone controller for the 4L80 if you already have the holley dominator EFI. I am not sure if you mean Dominator carb or EFI.

The Dominator EFI has a wiring harness for the 4L80 and can run it directly as well or better than any standalone controller.

So with the single dominator pcm you can run the hellcat and the trans.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: Hellcat swap, automatic trans ? - 06/29/19 02:23 PM

you can run the 8 speed auto now.
Posted By: Ray408G3Hemi

Re: Hellcat swap, automatic trans ? - 07/06/19 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by AeroMonte
Will a built 5-45RFE 2wd trans hold up to the Hellcat horsepower? This car will not be beat on like a race car but will be driven.

Nope it'll puck in about an hour.

Sound German Automotive is your go to for a controller for the 8speeds trans ,
© 2024 Moparts Forums