Moparts

Bracket Gen 3 Build

Posted By: 408strokerdart

Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/15/17 02:26 PM

Been a while since I have posted anything significant. My car has been down for about two years now ever since blowing up my W8 engine due to oil pump failure. I bought a 572 wedge and invested a small fortune to make it how I wanted it just to find out it would not fit into my car (tried to figure out how to make it fit, but nothing makes sense).

Forward to a couple of months ago when I was at the Monster Mopar race at Norwalk. It occurred to me that these Gen 3 platform motors perform pretty good and seem very reliable. This is when I finally came across Triple Threats post on his bracket build. I have talked with Dustin and he has been a big help in the decisions I have made to this point. My goal was only to build something that would put my car in the 9.80 to 10.0 range and be something I could put 160 passes per year with almost no maintenance.

So, here is what I have at this point after accumulating parts for only 2 months.

New 6.1 Block, .005 over 4.060 bore
Molinar 4.050 stroke crank/6.125 Molinar rod
Diamond Custom pistons with 15cc domes
Factory 6.4 heads (ported by Ray Meyers)
Upgraded springs and retainers
Custom Comp Hyd Roller, same grind as Dustins
Manley timing set
Stock Rocker System
Stock 06 Coil Packs
Stock Valve Covers
Custom 1 7/8 to 2" stainless step headers

Now here is where it differs from Dustins build...
Ported and highly modified 6.1 intake (welded up and cut for 92mm front opening.
Holley Sniper 92mm LS throttle body
Holley 80 lb/hr injectors
Complete Holley EFI HP control system and harnesses

I'm going to put a stock flat hood back on my car as well.

My only problem is that my original ET goals will be blown away. I will probably have problems keeping my 2800 lb car out of the 9.30's
Posted By: Mopar_Rich

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/15/17 04:06 PM

You'll love the Holley HP. Good luck during the build.
Posted By: Quickrunner

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/15/17 04:12 PM

Looking forward to seeing this build come together! The more of us taking the Gen3 plunge the better as far as shared knowledge is concerned. Your last sentence is killing me, as if too fast is ever a problem? Only thing I see missing from your parts list is a side slung procharger to blow into that LS throttle body, it would fit under the flat hood ya know.... LOL

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/15/17 04:25 PM

Originally Posted By Quickrunner
Looking forward to seeing this build come together! The more of us taking the Gen3 plunge the better as far as shared knowledge is concerned. Your last sentence is killing me, as if too fast is ever a problem? Only thing I see missing from your parts list is a side slung procharger to blow into that LS throttle body, it would fit under the flat hood ya know.... LOL

This project is all about collecting win slips from bracket racing. I could easily make it quicker and that is why I selected some of the parts I did. Good foundation if I want to lean on it harder. I plan to run both box/no box so 9.0 is as quick as it could reasonably be and chase everyone. I still have a tire size limitation and hot tracks down here limit what I can put down consistently. I would rather it be slower and print time slips at this point. I realized I like to go fast, but like collecting win slips better.

I look to have this up and running by Feb or March next year.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/15/17 04:27 PM

Originally Posted By Mopar_Rich
You'll love the Holley HP. Good luck during the build.

I know nothing about tuning a EFI system. This will be a new venture for me with lots of learning curve. Hopefully I am putting the right pieces in place to be successful. Lots of sensors and harnesses for sure.
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/15/17 04:34 PM

Going to be a great build, looking forward to se how it runs. The More G3 guys the better.
Posted By: daron

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/15/17 06:28 PM

just wondering what the cost of a build like your is if may ask?
Posted By: raceadodge

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/16/17 02:09 AM

Not sure if Dustin mentioned this to you, but if you're going to use the rocker shaft supports with the stock valve covers you are going to have to remove pretty much all of the support ribs inside the covers. Dustin mentioned he had to machine some of the bolt heads down also.
Posted By: Just-a-dart

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/16/17 02:13 AM

Sounds fun. I have a lot of the same parts soon to go together.

Are you doing a truck cover and motor plate?

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/16/17 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By daron

I will be all in at around $15K. This includes the $750 trans adapter for my glide though.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/16/17 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By raceadodge
Not sure if Dustin mentioned this to you, but if you're going to use the rocker shaft supports with the stock valve covers you are going to have to remove pretty much all of the support ribs inside the covers. Dustin mentioned he had to machine some of the bolt heads down also.

Yes, we talked about that. It appears that if you use the later model covers such as 2009 and later that is not an issue. I believe he used earlier covers and just did the mods to work.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/16/17 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By Just-a-dart
Sounds fun. I have a lot of the same parts soon to go together.

Are you doing a truck cover and motor plate?

Yes, truck cover (that I am doing some trick stuff to including some welding and machining) and then a motor plate. Motor from bell to motor plate will be identical in length to a bb mopar FYI.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/16/17 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By 408strokerdart

I will be all in at around $15K. This includes the $750 trans adapter for my glide though.

Wow. Looks like I made a smart choice avoiding this type of build. My R3 build cost me 7500.00 and I thought that was high.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/16/17 07:48 PM

Originally Posted By pittsburghracer

Wow. Looks like I made a smart choice avoiding this type of build. My R3 build cost me 7500.00 and I thought that was high.

Hooray!!! You built a SB using a stash of parts (used/good deal/otherwise) for cheap!!!

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/16/17 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By WO23Coronet

Hooray!!! You built a SB using a stash of parts (used/good deal/otherwise) for cheap!!!

All new and not from my stash. Deals are out there everyday as nobody wants this old junk. Lol

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/17/17 04:33 AM

If this was a true bracket build I would have used a 5.7 block and late model Eagle heads. Also many ways to save on the Fuel Injection as well. I added cost so I would not be locked into such a mild combo and have room to make it more serious if needed without buying all new stuff again.
Posted By: raceadodge

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/17/17 07:34 PM

Yeah, I was told the same thing about the 09 and newer valve covers. But when I received the 09 covers, there was no difference. I still had to trim the ribs to clearance the rocker shaft supports. The 09 and newer rocker covers are supposed to have a little extra height inside. I'm guessing it has something to do with the VVT system. I can send you pictures of what I had to do to make them work.
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/17/17 07:36 PM

What made you choose the holley HP over the Dominator or the MS3 Gold Box?

The biggest thing you would gain from either one of those over the HP is inputs and outputs, I don't think the HP has much inputs for data logging?
Posted By: gremlinsteve

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/18/17 01:00 AM

Congrats on the build
Hope the camshaft works out for you
Posted By: MattW

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/18/17 02:22 PM

I will be all in at around $15K. This includes the $750 trans adapter for my glide though. [/quote]

Wow. Looks like I made a smart choice avoiding this type of build. My R3 build cost me 7500.00 and I thought that was high. [/quote]

Hooray!!! You built a SB using a stash of parts (used/good deal/otherwise) for cheap!!! [/quote]

All new and not from my stash. Deals are out there everyday as nobody wants this old junk. Lol [/quote]

WOW 7500.00 for an R3 build! I have that in my upper half of my R3.
Let's face it there are deals out there for those willing to look. If you want to build a R3 then by all means build one.
Have a couple of questions for you though.
What do you do when break your engine? Nobody makes R3 blocks anymore. W8 and W9 heads are nice but where do you get them?
My W9 heads are a little better than a stock Apache head. Mind you this is with the smaller cnc port job.
Oh wait you can get the latest version of whatever pro comp casting thats out there.
Stock eagle head outflow them all.
Having built an R3 W9 I can honestly say that the G3 platform is and will always beat the R3.
Matt

Posted By: MattW

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/18/17 02:27 PM

Been a while since I have posted anything significant. My car has been down for about two years now ever since blowing up my W8 engine due to oil pump failure. I bought a 572 wedge and invested a small fortune to make it how I wanted it just to find out it would not fit into my car (tried to figure out how to make it fit, but nothing makes sense).

Forward to a couple of months ago when I was at the Monster Mopar race at Norwalk. It occurred to me that these Gen 3 platform motors perform pretty good and seem very reliable. This is when I finally came across Triple Threats post on his bracket build. I have talked with Dustin and he has been a big help in the decisions I have made to this point. My goal was only to build something that would put my car in the 9.80 to 10.0 range and be something I could put 160 passes per year with almost no maintenance.

So, here is what I have at this point after accumulating parts for only 2 months.

New 6.1 Block, .005 over 4.060 bore
Molinar 4.050 stroke crank/6.125 Molinar rod
Diamond Custom pistons with 15cc domes
Factory 6.4 heads (ported by Ray Meyers)
Upgraded springs and retainers
Custom Comp Hyd Roller, same grind as Dustins
Manley timing set
Stock Rocker System
Stock 06 Coil Packs
Stock Valve Covers
Custom 1 7/8 to 2" stainless step headers

Now here is where it differs from Dustins build...
Ported and highly modified 6.1 intake (welded up and cut for 92mm front opening.
Holley Sniper 92mm LS throttle body
Holley 80 lb/hr injectors
Complete Holley EFI HP control system and harnesses

I'm going to put a stock flat hood back on my car as well.

My only problem is that my original ET goals will be blown away. I will probably have problems keeping my 2800 lb car out of the 9.30's

Sorry to hear about your W8!

WELCOME to the next generation!!
Nice part selection and can't wait to see it built.
I only have one concern and this is me talking and I have no specific proof or anything like that. My cup is always half full and I thought I would mention this.
Check that 6.1 block. I've read and heard of some garbage ones out there. Just like the R3, some good casting, some not.
Matt
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/18/17 04:14 PM

Looking foward to seeing how this turns out. Obviously I have my reservations about using the stock intake but I also don't doubt Brian will have it running hard

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/18/17 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By sixpackgut
Looking foward to seeing how this turns out. Obviously I have my reservations about using the stock intake but I also don't doubt Brian will have it running hard

If the stock intake doesn't work, I know a guy that can design and build a complete sheet metal version that will work for sure.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/18/17 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By Bad340fish

The biggest thing you would gain from either one of those over the HP is inputs and outputs, I don't think the HP has much inputs for data logging?

Just cost compared to the Dominator. The HP will work with my existing Racepak so I already log everything I need to.
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/18/17 06:22 PM

I like many others am looking forward to seeing this run.

If I can go 9.90's at 3400# with a very basic bracket car you should be much quicker.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/18/17 07:43 PM

Eddlebrock has a new Gen3 intake that's supposed to be a notch better than the 6.1 intake.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/18/17 08:46 PM

Eddlebrock has a new Gen3 intake that's supposed to be a notch better than the 6.1 intake.

From what Im gathering on that is that people are not picking up with the intake. Any serious guy probably had a ported 6.1 intake and they flow very well when ported. Next is the runner lenght and I think they are about the same so no real advantage

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/18/17 09:26 PM

What is the 6.1 intake's runner length?

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/18/17 09:51 PM

Can you shorten a 6.1's runner length, ala the 5.9 keg intake?
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/19/17 07:12 AM

Originally Posted By Triple Threat
I like many others am looking forward to seeing this run.

If I can go 9.90's at 3400# with a very basic bracket car you should be much quicker.

Yep, me too!
Posted By: Bad340fish

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/19/17 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By Bad340fish

Just cost compared to the Dominator. The HP will work with my existing Racepak so I already log everything I need to.

After I posted that I figured you probably had a logger on board already. Sounds like a fun and fast project!

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/19/17 04:10 PM

From what Im gathering on that is that people are not picking up with the intake. Any serious guy probably had a ported 6.1 intake and they flow very well when ported. Next is the runner lenght and I think they are about the same so no real advantage

I just read somewhere that the design was more aimed at spinning things blowing air into the front of it, only slight like 20HP gain over a 6.1 intake in NA format. And that's probably a marketing number. I did look at it at PRI and it is a very nice piece considering what used 6.1's go for and this is a nice brand new casting.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/19/17 06:05 PM

I just read somewhere that the design was more aimed at spinning things blowing air into the front of it, only slight like 20HP gain over a 6.1 intake in NA format. And that's probably a marketing number. I did look at it at PRI and it is a very nice piece considering what used 6.1's go for and this is a nice brand new casting.

This is the same thing that I gathered from it. I think it will be about the same as a ported 6.1. I'm already tricking out my 6.1 manifold and I will post pictures after I'm further along. It is stuff that hasn't been done before though.

I have learned though that you can't even talk with these LX forum guys. They are mostly guys that have others do their stuff and just like bolt on items. Forget anything custom.....blows their minds.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/19/17 07:21 PM

I have learned though that you can't even talk with these LX forum guys. They are mostly guys that have others do their stuff and just like bolt on items. Forget anything custom.....blows their minds. [/quote]

Same vibe I get over there, they all have a "builder" of choice and not many self builders or fabricators on there.

As far as your the HP vs Dominator choice, I am looking into that for my Demon as well and noticed the HP only has provisions for single O2 and the Dominator is setup for dual. Would you not want one in each bank?? I am not versed in efi at all yet and learning what I can before I pull the trigger on any system.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/19/17 08:16 PM

I have learned though that you can't even talk with these LX forum guys. They are mostly guys that have others do their stuff and just like bolt on items. Forget anything custom.....blows their minds.

Same vibe I get over there, they all have a "builder" of choice and not many self builders or fabricators on there.

As far as your the HP vs Dominator choice, I am looking into that for my Demon as well and noticed the HP only has provisions for single O2 and the Dominator is setup for dual. Would you not want one in each bank?? I am not versed in efi at all yet and learning what I can before I pull the trigger on any system. [/quote]

You are correct on that. I'm not sure I need both. I might go Dominator at the last minute if I find some savings somewhere else. It's at least $700 more than the HP IIRC.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/19/17 11:12 PM

That's one of the negatives when dealing with newer stuff. A lot of buyers and not builders (not slagging that at all, it comes with the territory for any newer platform). I just pick and choose which threads I get involved in, mostly lurking

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/20/17 12:40 PM

[/quote]

I think it's a generational thing, most of those guys who are heavy into the LX platform, are born after 74ish, there fathers most likely didn't work on their cars, had to have the Dealer do it, because of the complicated messes that were being produced by the auto manufacture's at that time ....just my social $02 worth.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/20/17 12:52 PM

I'm already tricking out my 6.1 manifold and I will post pictures after I'm further along. It is stuff that hasn't been done before though.

It's be good to see someone with some experience attack this manifold with some out of the box thinking, God knows I've seen some really off the wall dumb crap done to these.

Last one was , cut the bottom of the port flange weld in 6 inches of alum tube and lengthen the runner.
One guy thought he was going to treat the poor thing like it was an old Magnum Keg, cut the thing open removed almost all of the runner walls and plenum area, leaving 3 inches runner just above the port flange.

My favorite lately is the 03-06 Porsche Cayenne 4.5L Intake swap.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/20/17 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By ric3xrt
I'm already tricking out my 6.1 manifold and I will post pictures after I'm further along. It is stuff that hasn't been done before though.

It's be good to see someone with some experience attack this manifold with some out of the box thinking, God knows I've seen some really off the wall dumb crap done to these.

Last one was , cut the bottom of the port flange weld in 6 inches of alum tube and lengthen the runner.
One guy thought he was going to treat the poor thing like it was an old Magnum Keg, cut the thing open removed almost all of the runner walls and plenum area, leaving 3 inches runner just above the port flange.

My favorite lately is the 03-06 Porsche Cayenne 4.5L Intake swap.

What would you do to a 6.1 intake to improve it? I mentioned earlier in the thread about shortening the runners like what guys do to the 5.2/5.9 keg intakes. Obviously whacking it down to 3" was probably abit extreme lol, but maybe shortening them to the length of what a Drag Pack intake has would bump up its rpm band?

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/21/17 02:52 AM

I dont believe you can shorten the runners. The setion between the runner where you would shorten it is hollow for the idle circuit maybe. Not sure about that

Brain, i have a friend. Get me the holley part #s and Ill get you prices. There are 2 prices, on your own or you can call with questions as much as you want

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/21/17 02:53 AM

shruggy

Attached picture 17545251_1789369974410356_3367040537008216714_o.jpg

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/21/17 04:45 AM

I dont believe you can shorten the runners. The setion between the runner where you would shorten it is hollow for the idle circuit maybe. Not sure about that

Brain, i have a friend. Get me the holley part #s and Ill get you prices. There are 2 prices, on your own or you can call with questions as much as you want

I will send you the parts list I got from the Holley guy. Give me a good email address again....

And thanks! I checked prices from Jegs and can save a little with my Pro discount, but it is still enough to make you faint.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/21/17 02:05 PM

The one that came with some other 6.1 parts, was cut down the middle length wise. and everything you see in this photo that would be under the base plate was removed.

I'll see if I can get the manifold back so I can take some photos of it.

Attached picture Sixpackgut 6.1.jpg

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/21/17 02:06 PM

yes this is your photo.....(I didn't have a6.1 photo on this computer)
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 09/21/17 09:35 PM

I think the runner length on a 6.1 intake is 9 ish inches IIRC.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 10/10/17 02:39 PM

Got my new 6.1 block, heads back from sixpakgut (Ray) and most of the other parts rounded up. The front of the intake is welded up and resurfaced for the TB adapter. Been working hard on the timing cover and making it ready for my cooling system. Also found a machine shop in the DFW are that has a torque plate for this thing so I won't have to buy one. Should be screwing this thing together in about 4 weeks (lead time on pistons). Pics to come when I put it together.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 10/10/17 03:42 PM

Looking forward to seeing this come together.
Posted By: cudaragtop

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 11/04/17 07:10 PM

Following.
Posted By: moparmitch

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 11/12/17 08:30 PM

Have any new progress to report?

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 11/16/17 06:21 PM

Heads are done and assembled. I didn't like the stock valve job so we did a nice 5 angle job that picked up a few numbers on the flow. Also took a small surface pass to make a better finish to seal the deck. Set-up new springs and cleaned up.

Molnar crank and rods have arrived as well as the bearings. Custom Diamond pistons have arrived yesterday so the rotating assembly will be balanced on Friday (tomorrow).

Block work is just waiting on my new torque plate to arrive. (anyone building a gen 3 in DFW can "rent" my torque plate if they have the work done by Wells Racing Engines).

My timing cover will be done this weekend. Motor plate template is finished.

New custom Innovators West balancer is on order.

6.1 Intake has been extensively modified by me. Custom 3d printed adapter for the Holley Sniper LS throttle body to intake is in process.

Lots happening on this build. Should be putting everything together starting early to mid December.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 11/16/17 06:39 PM

I for one can not wait to see what one of these suckers can do in a car like your’s. Counting down the days. Very nice quality build

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 11/16/17 06:40 PM

Pics would be nice

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 11/16/17 06:45 PM

I for one can not wait to see what one of these suckers can do in a car like your’s.

With a flat hood hammer

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 11/17/17 02:16 AM

I for one can not wait to see what one of these suckers can do in a car like your’s.

With a flat hood hammer

Yes, under a flat hood.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 11/17/17 02:17 AM

Pics would be nice

Posting from my desktop at work. No picture hosting sites are work approved.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 11/17/17 10:04 PM

[img]https://imgur.com/8UQitRM[/img]

[img]https://imgur.com/odwPlls[/img]

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 11/18/17 02:28 AM

What the heck. That website asked if I was over 18 so I closed it out.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 11/19/17 02:06 AM

What the heck. That website asked if I was over 18 so I closed it out.

Not sure what is going on so I changed hosting site.

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 11/19/17 03:06 AM

Brian's pics

Attached picture received_10215150317060534.jpeg
Attached picture received_10215150314380467.jpeg

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 11/19/17 02:04 PM

That ridge, have you found it works on the Eagle or 6.1 heads also?

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 11/20/17 03:59 AM

I do it to eagle and apache heads. 6.1 different

Re: Bracket Gen 3 Build - 12/15/17 06:29 PM

Block is honed and heading home today. Mockup and block clearance for stroke will be this weekend as well as cleaning and crank installation. Shortblock will be together before Christmas. Pics to follow.
© 2024 Moparts Forums