Moparts

Sell my parts, or build a motor for sale?

Posted By: gregsdart

Sell my parts, or build a motor for sale? - 09/10/17 04:15 PM

Here is what I have.Nib Apache heads loaded, Molner 3.888 crank with matching H beam rods, early 5.7 core motor, Jeep SRT 8 exhaust manifolds, both truck and car timing chain covers, Drag Pack cam,(229/236/110 dur, lift,.550? Springs that came with cam. 485 hp crate motor intake, loaded with every thing that came on it. Wiring harness from helcat engine, blower needing bearing in front. Blower turns smooth, no noise. Coils.
There are shelf stock forged pistons that would fit with my crank and rods.
The question is, if i build a 388 to 392 stroker that makes probably 500 hp, and have a dyno sheet on it, do you think I would do better than selling the parts ?
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: Sell my parts, or build a motor for sale? - 09/10/17 08:10 PM

That's a tough one, The quickest sale item you have are the Apache heads, that crank is an odd piece, but it's something that I would buy....but I can be an odd guy.
Established G3 builders have an easier time selling complete runners than "hobbiest" I have no doubt that a G3 that you would build, will be a good solid beast, but the crowd who are deep into these hemis seem to be clickish, I think some of it is because so few people really know how to squeeze that extra HP out of them.
My opinion on selling parts right now is, unless your willing to take a hit, it's hard to sell, not sure if it's economics or too many keyboard racers.
I don't envy your decision.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: Sell my parts, or build a motor for sale? - 09/11/17 02:18 PM

Unless you're a "name brand" builder I think you'd have a hard time selling a complete motor (not at all questioning your skills but as previously mentioned it's a cliquey). Probably easiest selling parts.

Quick question, were you planning on running the Hellcat blower on the early block? If so, where there any issues with getting the blower belt system to integrate with the early 5.7 belt system/front cover? What would the crank pulley arrangement look like?
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: Sell my parts, or build a motor for sale? - 09/11/17 02:48 PM

Still interested in the crank if you are selling.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Sell my parts, or build a motor for sale? - 09/11/17 05:11 PM

I know you've asked about the blower value more than once... at this point it doesn't seem your going to build something with it, so sell it.

Re: Sell my parts, or build a motor for sale? - 09/12/17 01:49 AM

The idea was to dyno the motor to validate its' power and reliability. But I understand the part about being a "known" builder. My build would use the factory 485 hp intake and the drag pack cam. With that much cam I assume it should go well over 500 hp with ease. I would also have a megasquirt 3 computor if it can run the dbw throttle body. All machine work would be done at a shop that does all the machine work etc for at least two drag pack cars.
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: Sell my parts, or build a motor for sale? - 09/12/17 12:40 PM

Originally Posted By gregsdart
The idea was to dyno the motor to validate its' power and reliability. But I understand the part about being a "known" builder. My build would use the factory 485 hp intake and the drag pack cam. With that much cam I assume it should go well over 500 hp with ease. I would also have a megasquirt 3 computor if it can run the dbw throttle body. All machine work would be done at a shop that does all the machine work etc for at least two drag pack cars.

I'd like to see it on the Dyno myself.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Sell my parts, or build a motor for sale? - 09/13/17 12:41 AM

Sell the BB in the race car, get a Gen 3 performance block and build a 2000hp turbo engine.

Re: Sell my parts, or build a motor for sale? - 09/15/17 02:22 AM

Originally Posted By 72Swinger
Sell the BB in the race car, get a Gen 3 performance block and build a 2000hp turbo engine.

No budget for that! (social security, you know frown

I put everything up for sale. Thanks for the input. A buck in the hand is worth two in the bush smile
Posted By: Medlock51

Re: Sell my parts, or build a motor for sale? - 09/15/17 10:15 PM

Where's the stuff for sale?
© 2024 Moparts Forums