Moparts

How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take

Posted By: Dart451

How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/12/17 06:38 PM

Just thinking of a future turbo project.

So what can the hellcat short block handle?
Posted By: feets

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/12/17 07:22 PM

I imagine it can handle quite a bit. Plenty of the factory non HC blocks are making 1,000+ hp.

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/12/17 08:44 PM

Seems like a good price for a 1000+ hp short block. The aftermarket big block are getting $$.
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/12/17 10:32 PM

Yeah I don't know why people are buying stroker kits for 5.7s, they cost as much as a hellcat short block brand new from the dealer ready to drop in. All the extra money machining and time assembling for another 200 CC and your local machine shop probably ain't as acurate as the factory? It also seems I heard the 6.4 truck engine was all forged guts, it should be a good turbo build also around the same price.

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/12/17 10:47 PM

I have a lot to learn on modern hemi.
I was thinking the 6.4 crate engine would be a good starting combo also. Gives me everything and might be cheaper to swap good forged pistons then piece the rest of the hellcat short block together.
Planning on a MS for controlling everything.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/13/17 02:59 AM

For boost any stock pistons other than the Hellcat are a roll of the dice with the top ring locations. The Hellcat pistons are good but also have the top ring moved down lower. There are some out there in the 1300 hp already with un-opened bottom ends. Pretty cool IMO.
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/13/17 03:28 AM

Considering the power it takes to turn the blower, and accessory losses, I bet those Hellcat shortblock and head assembly's would take a whole lot more than we think.
They are built to withstand long periods of full boost, and long life to boot.
Posted By: fbs63

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/13/17 04:44 AM

The problem is the VVT. You can lock out the cam phaser but only the factory timing set is available. Im looking at making a cam adapter to use a non-VVT cam in a VVT block using the 6.1 double roller timing set.
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/13/17 05:06 AM

So if you're a gen 3 rookie like me, how can
I use this HC short block?? Will my Eagle heads bolt on?

What carb intake works?

Will front covers interchange?
Posted By: ric3xrt

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/13/17 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By fbs63
The problem is the VVT. You can lock out the cam phaser but only the factory timing set is available. Im looking at making a cam adapter to use a non-VVT cam in a VVT block using the 6.1 double roller timing set.

Like this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HEMITRONIX-5-7-6-4-HEMI-VCT-VVT-AND-MDS-ELIMINATOR-CAM-KIT

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/13/17 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By cudadoug
So if you're a gen 3 rookie like me, how can
I use this HC short block?? Will my Eagle heads bolt on?

What carb intake works?

Will front covers interchange?

your Eagle heads will bolt on to a HellCat short block.
There are a intakes out now, you have the Drag pak, Arrow Racing has a new single plane out now and OCP has had a dual plane out for awhile.

Eagle front cover Yes , pre 09 I'm not sure.

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/13/17 01:58 PM

Yes, but I don't like the fact it just pilots off the spocket boss. I will probably turn the first bearing journal down and machine one for a press fit.

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/13/17 03:13 PM

Yes, but I don't like the fact it just pilots off the spocket boss. I will probably turn the first bearing journal down and machine one for a press fit.

Sounds good, I like your Idea better .

I have the above kit in a 2014 6.4 short block I'm not to keen on how the kit,like you said pilots of the sprocket.

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/13/17 03:54 PM

One question. Does it use the vvt guide and tensioner or the 6.1?
Posted By: L4staero

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/17/17 12:03 AM

There is lots of cars making 900 whp but i think at that level the rods and pistons can be a ticking time bomb mainly the powdered metal rods. I would leave it at 800 fhp and call it good. I looked into it myself but want something with long term worry free reliabilty so chose to start with a BGE/Hellcat block, 6.4 truck crank and H beams/forged pistons

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/19/17 09:08 PM

I need to decide on power level. Think 800 fhp, I would be happy for the car its going in. 70 Dart no cage right now it has 517 big block in it
Posted By: cudadoug

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 06/19/17 09:39 PM

Boy, oh boy...that would be a big help on these motors!
Posted By: toplescuda

Re: How much power can a stock Hellcat short block take - 07/08/17 08:49 PM

There is a few cats that are putting 1050 to back tires. Was one that went for just a tad more and it blew.... so 1000 at the crank and you will be just fine
© 2024 Moparts Forums