http://www.allpar.com/racing/NASCAR/hemi-return-2017.html
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/06/17 12:43 PM

Canadian nascar but sounds like it ran very well first time out
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/06/17 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By sixpackgut
Canadian nascar but sounds like it ran very well first time out

I look at it as a good start. For the guys running and building these engines this is very good news. More products, more development, cheaper prices.
Posted By: Adrielp

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/06/17 03:42 PM

I wonder what type of rpm these engines are running with the hydraulic valvetrain. If things take off, I wonder if there is any possibility of a nascar specific variants that will compete with current nascar engine platforms.
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/06/17 04:45 PM

Been watching that develop...it'd be nice if the tiny bump in volume would drive the cost of the intake and the distributor setup down a bit, so more folks can latch on to it. At the same time I also realize my comments mean pretty much nothing to the big ballers who don't care what anything costs.

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/06/17 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By Adrielp
I wonder what type of rpm these engines are running with the hydraulic valvetrain. If things take off, I wonder if there is any possibility of a nascar specific variants that will compete with current nascar engine platforms.

In the cascar thread I wrote a bunch of stuff about the engine after getting off the phone with Arrow.

Way back when when dodge got back into nascar I read an article about Roger Penske asking nascar to allow the dodge teams to run the hemi motors instead of the approved p7 or whatever its called. IMO these pro racing classes have screwed everyone with there bs spec engines compared to the good ol days

If Penske wanted to use the hemi's Im sure he saw the potential of the stock engines
Posted By: HotRodDave

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/06/17 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By ZIPPY
Been watching that develop...it'd be nice if the tiny bump in volume would drive the cost of the intake and the distributor setup down a bit, so more folks can latch on to it. At the same time I also realize my comments mean pretty much nothing to the big ballers who don't care what anything costs.

Actually they will see the increased sales as a sign they are priced too low and jack the price up even more.

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/06/17 07:18 PM

Originally Posted By HotRodDave

Actually they will see the increased sales as a sign they are priced too low and jack the price up even more.

Not always so. Think GM.
Posted By: AlexP

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/06/17 08:43 PM

You can inject the car with Megasquirt for the cost of that distributor drive setup. I know this means very little to those who just have to get that "look".

I'm happy that it means the product will get some trickle down support from a major series.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/06/17 09:13 PM

That new Arrow intake was designed for this series. I also remember reading about Mopar wanting to run the Gen III in Nascar way back when but Nascar gave it the axe for having 16 plugs. Nascar is not and has never been a friend of Mopar. They only allow engines that have no "advantage" over a Chevrolet.

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/06/17 10:51 PM

I'm thinking you must mean something like what happened here:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-5007698
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4120237
Posted By: AlexP

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/06/17 11:24 PM

That's painful.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/07/17 01:24 AM

eek I had no idea they got that expensive! I thought ls1 and hemi cams were expensive. But I guess the kits do come with lifters.

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/07/17 03:12 AM

Wow I think I have two new purple shaft small block cams on my shelf

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/07/17 05:19 AM

Holy canoly bat man!

I just bought a new 6.4 hemi cam from the dealer for $68 bucks. .577 lift hydro roller with VVT and MDS.

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/07/17 05:22 AM

Thats ridiculous. Who would pay that?
Posted By: fbs63

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/07/17 05:22 AM

If you read the description they are two different cams. Ones on a 108 lobe center the other on a 114.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/07/17 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By fbs63
If you read the description they are two different cams. Ones on a 108 lobe center the other on a 114.

If you read the price, they are both ridiculous.

I wonder if MP is deliberately trying to go out of business?
Posted By: fbs63

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/07/17 03:16 PM

I agree on the pricing. Just pointing out the difference. I'm sure its MP's usual practice of slapping their name on someone else's products and the subsequent mark up.

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/07/17 05:03 PM

Originally Posted By fbs63

Yes...and...the 108 is vastly more popular among the faithful and priced quite a bit crazier than the 114, which seems to lend credibility to the theory prices can end up higher when volumes are higher, depending on specific business strategies and practices.

I did what I could, when I could shruggy

All I can say is, I have alot of stories I would never post LOL.

A couple months ago I had four 108 degree 509 cams, one new the others used, and when I saw how crazy the price was they all went on ebay. They all sold quick for 125 and less. I now have one left and am going to get rid of it too.

anyway...economy of scale does generally work out to lower pricing, when normal profit margins and so on are assumed. But can that always be assumed? Nope, business practices rule the day...if someone with the wrong approach gets ahold of it, then things can easily go the wrong way from the enthusiast perspective. Especially when they figure you have no other choice....but there is always another choice, just have to figure it out. It's all part of the fun, right?
Posted By: Silver70

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/07/17 07:32 PM

I was shocked by even the lower price... it's been years since I bought even a 509 cam. I remember shopping for an ls1 cam a few years back and had sticker shock, but the prices have come down on them. Then add matching springs and it was insane... but always other cheaper options if you shop round and do your research.
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 06/07/17 07:45 PM

They charge you for two cams because they know one out of two will fail

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 08/01/17 11:32 PM

I was right again, the price of the intake jst went up.
Posted By: Medlock51

Re: 2017: The Hemi Returns to NASCAR Competition - 08/02/17 05:33 PM

Could be the 108 cam is ground on a better core.... big difference in price. It would help if they mentioned that if it is...
© 2024 Moparts Forums