Moparts

De-stroked 5.7

Posted By: ric3xrt

De-stroked 5.7 - 05/26/17 12:35 PM

I have guy who retired from my work last year who is building a Plymouth street rod, he wants to build a smaller 5.7 or 4.7 Cammer.
We were talking about the G3 hemi and he asked if I know if anyone had built a de-stroked 5.7 , I thought I came across a thread in my internet lurking about someone wanting to build a long rod 5.7 and had to de-stroke down to 3.48 or 3.4ish? I was wondering if anyone know who it was or if they had heard of anyone doing this...
Thanks
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 05/26/17 03:51 PM

Rick there was a gentleman here last year who had a de-stroked crank for a gen III for sale. That is all I remember of it though. May I ask why he wants such a small engine?

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 05/26/17 04:16 PM

He says(his words not mine) he wants to keep power down but wants the look of a modern mopar engine. he's even thinking about the 3.5 or 3.7 V6s , light back end, no traction control, doesn't want it to be a handful. he had a 23 T bucket with a stock 5.7 and that was a handful.
this car is a Plymouth roadster , no fenders, no top type nostalgic.
I've searched around and I don't see any piston or rod combo that works with out custom work. . offset grind the crank and then build the journal back up to a 2.2 pin and use BBchevy rods ...which makes no sense at all

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 05/26/17 04:25 PM

I told him last night I think he's better off with a 4.7, but he wants to go with a carb, I suggested that he try and see if a MSD Hemi 6 would work on the 4.7 , I've seen guys use the 4.7 PCM on 5.7s why couldn't he go the other way.
Posted By: GTS340

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 05/26/17 04:37 PM

6.300 Honda journal SBC rod
1.220 CH piston
3.48 stroke
Would leave piston slightly above deck, not a bad thing if using early 5.7 heads

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 05/26/17 07:03 PM

Kool , I'll send him in that direction.
Thanks
Posted By: 5280Dart

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 05/28/17 04:29 PM

Seems like a very expensive way to go.
If he is going to use a carb anyway, why not just limit the ability to WOT? Or restrict plate, or gearing....

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 05/28/17 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By 5280Dart
Seems like a very expensive way to go.
If he is going to use a carb anyway, why not just limit the ability to WOT? Or restrict plate, or gearing....

I suggested a Plate, and it might get one, who knows
I bought a set of rods last night for the build off ebay, $200, I gave him a 6.1 crank to use, so he's only out the shop bill, and the pistons, are going to be stock 5.7s out of the 30k 04 motor he already has.
Posted By: GTS340

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 05/28/17 08:23 PM

What rods did you get? How are you handling the wrist pins?
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 05/28/17 10:52 PM

Even if he destrokes it I don't think it'll help. It still has awesome flowing heads and will make the hp, just at a higher rpm. It will kill abit of low end torque but not enough to really make a difference in a 2400 lb (?) vehicle

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 05/29/17 11:40 AM

Originally Posted By GTS340
What rods did you get? How are you handling the wrist pins?

Found a set of Eagle CRs6300HJ on ebay with a buy it now of $200,
Pins are .927, so we'll have to use some after market pistons, instead of the stockers(which to me is a good thing)

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 05/29/17 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By WO23Coronet
Even if he destrokes it I don't think it'll help. It still has awesome flowing heads and will make the hp, just at a higher rpm. It will kill abit of low end torque but not enough to really make a difference in a 2400 lb (?) vehicle

I agree , and I don't think it's not going to achieve his objective.....but he's convinced that a high centerline cam and single plane intake will move the torque up enough to make it more street able , while a 650/700 CFM carb will help with throttle response.
Posted By: killermopar

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 05/30/17 05:20 PM

Use a stock engine and a really high gear. That's what I would do. But it sounds interesting. Wondering what it will make.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 05/30/17 09:18 PM

For sure he doesn't want to go 4.7.

You say build back up to bigblock chevy rod journal size. The GIII Hemi has rod journals that are nearly the same as a SBM, why go any larger?

I guess "destroked" sounds cool to the guy. I'd limit power with an adjustable throttle stop. The old "bolt under the gas pedal."

R.
Posted By: Stewart

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 06/20/17 04:01 AM

I have a couple unused Callies cranks. 2.93 stroke and 14 Carillo rods. Also have an ATI damper. The cranks were cut on the snout for dry sump so a spacer would have to be made for the pump drive. Some trouble but I would sell the crank, 8 rods and the damper for $750 + shipping. The damper would need a different center or the existing one cut to remove the dry sump pump belt drive.
Was for a 305 project that never went forward.

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 07/17/17 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By dogdays
For sure he doesn't want to go 4.7.

You say build back up to bigblock chevy rod journal size. The GIII Hemi has rod journals that are nearly the same as a SBM, why go any larger?

R.

The idea with build up the journal was to use an Aftermarket 6.38
Rod.

it was just an Idea, his money to spend not mine.

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 07/17/17 03:20 PM

Originally Posted By Stewart
I have a couple unused Callies cranks. 2.93 stroke and 14 Carillo rods. Also have an ATI damper. The cranks were cut on the snout for dry sump so a spacer would have to be made for the pump drive. Some trouble but I would sell the crank, 8 rods and the damper for $750 + shipping. The damper would need a different center or the existing one cut to remove the dry sump pump belt drive.
Was for a 305 project that never went forward.

Stewart pm me on a price for the Callies crank.

We went with a 4.7 engine out of a Dakota
Posted By: OUTLAWD

Re: De-stroked 5.7 - 07/20/17 01:47 PM

just pull timing out in the lower gears... shruggy
© 2024 Moparts Forums