Moparts

Aftermarket exhaust studs/bolts?

Posted By: SeventyGTX

Aftermarket exhaust studs/bolts? - 05/10/16 11:23 PM

Can someone point me to a good set of exhaust studs that won't break? I couldn't find any from ARP. My 09 Hemi Ram 4x4 only has 57k on it, but it has developed the dreaded tick on the right side on startup. Hate to go with factory hardware as they are just going to break again.
Posted By: MattW

Re: Aftermarket exhaust studs/bolts? - 05/11/16 01:23 AM

Had the same problem with my 4.7.
Cheap SS bolts fixed mine.
Matt

Re: Aftermarket exhaust studs/bolts? - 05/11/16 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By MattW
Matt

These are a special stud with two different thread sizes, the smaller for the heat shield....

Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: Aftermarket exhaust studs/bolts? - 05/11/16 03:50 AM

Use the factory stuff but dont TIGHTEN the heat shield. Expansion and contraction of the heat shields is what snaps the heads off. I double nut the heat shields.

Re: Aftermarket exhaust studs/bolts? - 05/11/16 04:11 AM

Thanks 72swinger, good idea on the double nuts. I always wondered what the hell was busting them.

Re: Aftermarket exhaust studs/bolts? - 05/11/16 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By SeventyGTX
Originally Posted By MattW
Matt

These are a special stud with two different thread sizes, the smaller for the heat shield....

Yup an I replaced them with SS bolts. I chucked the heat shield in the garbage. Done this to two vehicles and never had an issue. These where 4.7 vehicles.
Those bolts are garbage and break all the time. Spending the time to remove a head that has a broken bolt stuck in it is time consuming especially on a 4.7.
Matt

Re: Aftermarket exhaust studs/bolts? - 05/11/16 03:27 PM

I had thought about going with bolts and leaving the heat shields off, but I figured they are there for a reason. Don't want to melt the fender liners.

Re: Aftermarket exhaust studs/bolts? - 05/12/16 12:55 AM

M
Originally Posted By SeventyGTX
I had thought about going with bolts and leaving the heat shields off, but I figured they are there for a reason. Don't want to melt the fender liners.

Lol I was thinking the same thing and the Dakota bay is pretty tight.
So far so good for me and it's been 2 years.
Matt

Re: Aftermarket exhaust studs/bolts? - 05/12/16 08:05 PM

Good point. There are plenty of guys out there running headers with no shields.
© 2024 Moparts Forums