Moparts

6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into?

Posted By: mopar_man619

6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/16/16 06:26 PM

I can possibly get my hands on a 6.4 hemi out of a 2013 charger srt8 super bee that has been hit. i would love this engine for my 1967 valiant but do not want to get stuck with something i can't use. i would run it (street/strip) in stock configuration as is being everything checks out, but my ultimate plan is a little boost (turbo). no matter how much i read i still have a little fear id be stuck and unable to get it running with tons of money. anyone have things to look out for ? is the vvt an issue? will it be an issue when i add bewst ? (have semi knowledge on lockout and limiting kits). computer (which i would also get out of donor car). oh also, the engine did run and drive when it was parked. car just wrecked. any help, guidance would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Description: 6.4 hemi
Attached picture 38233095_07X.JPG

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/16/16 06:30 PM

also anybody with experience, i would be able to get this into a valiant with the stock k frame. i have read it will be a tight fit but will work with the correct oil pan.
Posted By: hudsonhornet7x

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/16/16 06:55 PM

Although it is easier to swap an earlier hemi I like your choice. The VVT can be locked, so that is not too big of a deal.

I would use the Holley HP fuel injection as it is self learning. Also, the 6.4 pistons are pretty fragile so it would probably be a good idea to swap them out for forged ones if you are planning a turbo setup.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/16/16 07:18 PM

Check with HotWireAuto, they have harnesses and computers for swaps. They reflash factory computers
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/16/16 10:32 PM

You would end up with an 09 Challenger ECU since those are re-flashable, and a Hotwire harness. You will need TTI headers to keep stock K. Figure about $3K for those 2 things alone but if you want to keep it stock, thats how I would go. Just go with a 6.4/manual trans tune and run a 727/904 or about any manual trans out there.
Posted By: MattW

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/17/16 01:33 AM

My twocents is put the whole thing in. Engine and trans. Get it running enjoy it and then down the road turbo the thing.
Get it going on the stock ECM and youll be surprised at the power.
Hell just going to full lenght headers will net you around 30 to 50 hp?
Matt
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/17/16 04:49 AM

I have a 6.4 in my 69 truck...i went with hotwire auto...some things can be an issue. VVT is your friend!

you can pm me if you want to ask some questions, i will give you my phone number

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/17/16 07:29 AM

so I can use the ecu out of the donor car and trans as is. at what point do you have to send the harness out ? if i were to run a 904 ?
Originally Posted By MattW
My twocents is put the whole thing in. Engine and trans. Get it running enjoy it and then down the road turbo the thing.
Matt

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/17/16 07:31 AM

thanks. will def be in contact with you !
Originally Posted By 70blackfish
I have a 6.4 in my 69 truck...i went with hotwire auto...some things can be an issue. VVT is your friend!

you can pm me if you want to ask some questions, i will give you my phone number
Posted By: FastmOp

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/17/16 06:15 PM

Mega squirt

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/17/16 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By mopar_man619
so I can use the ecu out of the donor car and trans as is. at what point do you have to send the harness out ? if i were to run a 904 ?
Originally Posted By MattW
Matt

Modern muscle performance has what you need to do this.
I would stick with factory trans but they may be able to help you with the 904.
Matt
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/17/16 08:52 PM

If you have the whole car why would you use a 904?
Just checkin'

R.

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/17/16 11:10 PM

thats what i will do. will my trans tunnel need to be modified?
Originally Posted By dogdays
If you have the whole car why would you use a 904?
Just checkin'

R.

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/20/16 01:53 PM

I believe so.
Matt
Posted By: cudaman1969

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/21/16 12:08 AM

From what I've seen and read, stick with the 904 for the time being. When using new trans there's a very big can of worms you have to get around at this time. Go back into the other posts to read about the Nagg trans issues.

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/22/16 12:29 AM

Shouldn't have an issue if he is running the stock ecm?
Or am I missing something?
Posted By: dogdays

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/22/16 07:09 PM

That's exactly the point. The ECM uses transmission inputs as well as engine and environmental inputs.

Plus, it's an overdrive transmission and people here have said they're plenty stout.

R.

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/23/16 04:44 AM

so it would work ? lol
Originally Posted By dogdays
That's exactly the point. The ECM uses transmission inputs as well as engine and environmental inputs.

Plus, it's an overdrive transmission and people here have said they're plenty stout.

R.
Posted By: 72Swinger

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/23/16 09:43 AM

The NAG's need a stand alone computer when you take away wheel sensors and speed sensors. PCS is the company IIRC. Yeah it can be done, but the donor cars wiring and computers are basically worthless unless you also use its dash,column,rear axle,abs etc.
Posted By: WO23Coronet

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/23/16 02:45 PM

http://www.hotwireauto.com/?page=sales-nag1

Hot Wire Auto has a NAG1 set up where you don't need the dash or any of that stuff. You need some of the modules and such, it's in the link. The NAG1 is a sweet transmission, tough as nails

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/28/16 07:37 AM

well probably not getting the 6.4 i thought i was. still in the market for a 6.1 or 5.7. wanna pull it out of a wrecked car from the salvage auction, as i feel this will be the best route. still going in an a body (67 valiant) with factory steering. what do you guys suggest as far as 5.7 or 6.1. want a turbo down the road. street/strip.
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/29/16 10:58 PM

megasquirt can do VVT and it is amazing.

They offer a base cal and a plug 'n' play harness for 6.4Ls, too. I have 2 running but not 100% tuned yet (spring here, will hit a dyno soon). a-e-a.com .

F&B offers a bolt-on throttle body that flows more air and is cable operated, I designed it.

No major problems into A-body, shorten the steering col jacket a bit, milodon pan, TTi headers and mounts, remote filter.

Rick
Posted By: Rick_Ehrenberg

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/29/16 10:59 PM

AEA also does harness and cal for 09-up VVT 5.7L, F&B has that TB, too.

Rick
Posted By: feets

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/29/16 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By Rick_Ehrenberg

They offer a base cal and a plug 'n' play harness for 6.4Ls, too. I have 2 running but not 100% tuned yet (spring here, will hit a dyno soon). a-e-a.com .

That site is a front page only and hasn't been updated since 2004.

That doesn't encourage me to spend money with them.
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 03/30/16 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By feets

That site is a front page only and hasn't been updated since 2004.

That doesn't encourage me to spend money with them.

I'm not sure what the A-E-A.com is, but the MS3 box is pretty up-to-date.

http://megasquirt.info/products/pro-controllers/ms3-gold-hemi/

http://www.efisource.com/shop/ms3-gen3-hemi-plug-play-gold-box/
Posted By: gregsdart

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 05/02/16 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By mopar_man619
also anybody with experience, i would be able to get this into a valiant with the stock k frame. i have read it will be a tight fit but will work with the correct oil pan.

I got a 5.7 Hemi core motor to fit in a 1965 Dodge Dart by using Jeep SRT exhaust manifolds, and coilover shocks to allow for the exhaust. I built a rack and pinion setup out of a stock K frame to take care o steering. The manifolds just make it in the early A, so there ought to be a little extra room in a 67 or newer. That is a truck oil pan , and I plan to shorten it and add back the volume with side buckets.

Attached picture PB230072.JPG
Attached picture PB230069.JPG
Attached picture PB230073.JPG
Posted By: onig

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 05/02/16 05:06 AM

F&B offers a bolt-on throttle body that flows more air and is cable operated, I designed it.

Rick

What is the part # for this throttle body?
I checked the site but could not find it.

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 05/05/16 01:08 PM

if you were running torsion bars would the jeep manifolds clear?
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: 6.4 hemi, what would i be getting myself into? - 05/12/16 05:23 PM

Originally Posted By onig

Rick

What is the part # for this throttle body?
I checked the site but could not find it.

Rick, also does this allow you to use the NAG1 trans since you are not using the electronic gas pedal? Or do you need to use that for the trans?
© 2024 Moparts Forums