Moparts

My Gen III Hemi A-body build.

Posted By: 72Swinger

My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/24/13 10:17 AM

Finally got things going in the right direction by making my own mounts and denting $800 headers...

Posted By: Daty Rogers

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/24/13 11:06 AM

Denting TTI'S? Told them about that 4-5 years ago when I got one of the first sets.

-Daty
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/24/13 02:16 PM

Very disappointing that TTI couldn't take care of this properly.
Posted By: Darius

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/24/13 03:54 PM

I installed a 5.7 in a 70 GTX on an Alterktion. I used an engine from a car not a truck. The engineer at TTI flat told me he could NOT make a set of headers for that application. Could not get around the starter. I really do not understand whay everyone "has to have headers" on these gen3 hemis. The exhaust manifold is so short to the collector ,how much can you really gain for the money and hassle.
Can it flow much better than this once you pass the heads?

Attached picture 7969560-Morepartstosell003.jpg
Posted By: roadrunninMark

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/24/13 05:51 PM

Darius,

What are the exhaust manifolds off of that you are using?

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/24/13 05:56 PM

Quote:

I installed a 5.7 in a 70 GTX on an Alterktion. I used an engine from a car not a truck. The engineer at TTI flat told me he could NOT make a set of headers for that application. Could not get around the starter. I really do not understand whay everyone "has to have headers" on these gen3 hemis. The exhaust manifold is so short to the collector ,how much can you really gain for the money and hassle.

What I don't understand is why people think they need to ditch Mopar suspension to have a good suspension? Also the ones that think the only way to fit a Gen III Hemi is with an Alter-k? Really so I should've spent $5000 to make life easier?
Posted By: dezduster

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/24/13 07:41 PM

What I don't get is people leaving 25 or more HP at peak and even 5 ft# of torque across the rev range on the table. That's not efficiency. Just because you don't want to deal with headers. Many headers now days fit, most don't leak when properly installed and some fit without modification. BUT WHEN EVERYTHTING IS CUSTOM, ALL ABSOLUTS OR LIKELYIES ARE OFF!!!!
If manufacturers could justify long tube header price, pass NVH issues, install complications, guarantee they would last past the EPA mandate of 100,000 miles and would be trouble free' "no warranty issues". THEY WOULD USE THEM. The power and mileage would be up, EFFICIENCY would be up!! That's why we hot rodders use them!!! They make POWER!! Mileage "efficiency" is a bonus..
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/24/13 07:51 PM

Quote:

Oh yeah, it can.

However, if you don' want to mess with the fitment, gasket blow outs, and the occasional re-torque, that's cool too. I don't mind it, but I have friends who do and they stick with manifolds.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/25/13 09:13 AM

I was not suggesting anyone change the entire front suspension or even change their approach. All I was asking is how much more can you gain by going to a custom header of some kind vs what you get from the stock exhaust manifold (my car has stock 5.7 exhaust manifolds). I posted the photo to show just how direct the flow will be with out using headers.
I am not a racer so 25 hp won't mean as much to me as some others,therefore the cost and hassle of the header application wouldn't be worth it to me. I will post dyno results when I get to that point with this car...maybe March sometime.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/25/13 12:18 PM

On multiple cylinder engines, a dedicated exhausttube like in a header will scavenge a cylinder better than a combined log-type manifold will.
You still think in terms of flow, while you should be thinking in terms of 4 (hopefully) equal tubes ending all together in a plane in a formed collector where each tube is 'helping' the other tubes to scavenge/pull out the exhaust away from the cylinders.

Besides all this, my believe was that only A-body Mopars have space issues when it comes to 3gen Hemi exhausts.
I also have 5.7Hemi Dart in the works and I'm currently still convinced I will be making my own headers for this setup.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/25/13 07:15 PM

This engine won't be just another Gen III btw. 420" , 247/255 cam and cnc 6.1 heads that typically flow in the 360's at .600 lift with stock valves. I wish 2" primaries would've cleared. The reason for me acting like a big baby over my header clearance is the pictures of TTI's display are so misleading.

Attached picture 7971061-attachment-6.jpeg

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/25/13 07:22 PM

And here is reality, see attachment above.

Attached picture 7971066-IMAG0060_zps969be9c4.jpg

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/25/13 07:34 PM

I feel your pain. Don't you just despise the term "bolt on" ? I bought a serpentine pully kit billed as "bolt on". They conveniently forgot to mention the fact you need to eliminate the EGR valve to let the AC compressor fit. No big doing without it but they could have at least supplied the block off plates in the kit or maybe "mention" that would be the case!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/25/13 07:48 PM

It's hard not to get down right angry. I'm just going to stick with the stock front car acc. drive.
Posted By: Uhcoog1

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/26/13 03:08 AM

Quote:

Very disappointing that TTI couldn't take care of this properly.

Any progress on the re-design of #1? Anything I can do to help move this along?

Thanks,
Wade

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/26/13 05:13 AM

Did I mention the very front header bolt holes on BOTH sides will need ovaled out to? Yeah....
Posted By: AlexP

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 12/26/13 09:20 PM

TTI's seem to be a necessary evil. Nobody can believe that I'm spending $750 for mild steel headers.

Hooker has a 5.7 header but not a 6.1...Pretty disappointing.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/28/14 11:14 PM

Oil cooler plumbing with thermostat. It will be protected by license plate on the street.

Posted By: 68cuda440

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/29/14 04:04 AM

Quote:

You realize you are going against Mopar convention, the oil filter has to hang over something so that it can not be removed without making a mess that is impossible to clean up.
Posted By: amxautox

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/29/14 04:10 AM

Heck mine is even easier to get to than that one.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/29/14 04:13 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You realize you are going against Mopar convention, the oil filter has to hang over something so that it can not be removed without making a mess that is impossible to clean up.

What do you mean? Cant you see, I can still soak the swaybar pretty easy if its cold and I shake a little....

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/29/14 04:14 AM

Quote:

You damn AMC guys are spoiled rotten with your dizzy and oil filters all up front and crap....
Posted By: amxautox

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/29/14 04:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:

You damn AMC guys are spoiled rotten with your dizzy and oil filters all up front and crap....

But I located my filter location where I wanted it when I installed the oil cooler and all that.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/29/14 11:20 AM

That looks expensive!:)
Posted By: 1fastabody

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/29/14 03:05 PM

Looks Good! I can't wait to start my Gen III installation.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/29/14 03:36 PM

I'll be ready to buy headers in the next two weeks. I'm not happy about it.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/29/14 06:09 PM

Quote:

That looks expensive!:)

Kind of a "better to have a gun and not need it, then to need a gun and not have it" way of thinking with the oil cooler lol.
The new 6.4's all have a cooler plumbed with water.
Posted By: EV2CUDA

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/30/14 12:13 AM

Would a borgeson steering box work so you do not have to dent the headers?
If you are retaining the PS, are you going to reduce the output pressure of the mopar hemi pump, by a modified pump or??

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/30/14 12:15 AM

Quote:

Would a borgeson steering box work so you do not have to dent the headers?
If you are retaining the PS, are you going to reduce the output pressure of the mopar hemi pump, by a modified pump or??

The Borgeson box and TTI headers made for that box dont fit. I saw what Wade, (uhcoog1) had to do and it was depressing.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/30/14 12:53 AM

That IS a Borgeson box inthe first pic.
A factory power steering box and a 3rd gen Hemi wouldn't fit at all.
Posted By: EV2CUDA

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/30/14 01:12 AM

I see now. Will it take the pressure output of the hemi pump? Is there a trick to reduce its output?

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/30/14 01:45 AM

Quote:

I see now. Will it take the pressure output of the hemi pump? Is there a trick to reduce its output?

takes it fine

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/30/14 01:54 AM

Quote:

my pump is a gm style Saginaw TC pump with a 4.7 Dakota/durango pully pressed on. Bracket made from 1/2" aluminum.
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/30/14 04:33 AM

Quote:

But the first line of this thread reads, "Finally got things going in the right direction by making my own mounts and denting $800 headers..."

Look, I like this build, (a lot) but you positioned the engine. I'm guessing that the TTI's were designed to work with Schumacher mounts. just sayin... and wondering!
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/30/14 05:01 AM

Just throwing this question out there?
Is there a definite advantage of a lets say 500 hp Gen III EFI Hemi vs. an old school 500 hp EFI small block?

Don't get me wrong, I was planning to get the Mopar All Aluminum Gen III crate engine and drop that in my car
but when I found out about the Ritter Aluminum small block I figured it would be an easier and less expensive route to go to.

My reasoning is that I already have the Edelbrock heads, headers, transmission placement, blah blah blah, etc..
Besides buying a forged crank, rods and pistons, I basically just have to swap out my current cast iron block with an aluminum one and add a FAST EFI kit that I already have.

I figure that it would still be less than the $14k for the 515hp P5156159 crate engine
http://www.jegs.com/p/Mopar-Performance/Mopar-Gen-III-426-Hemi-Crate-Engine/1710917/10002/-1

Am I missing something here? I know basically nothing about Gen III engines
thanks
Posted By: Bull1tt

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/30/14 05:48 AM

Killer small blocks are great, but when you open the hood and there's a Hemi there... well, you know the reaction!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/30/14 06:06 AM

Quote:

Is there a definite advantage of a lets say 500 hp Gen III EFI Hemi vs. an old school 500 hp EFI small block?

Don't get me wrong, I was planning to get the Mopar All Aluminum Gen III crate engine and drop that in my car
but when I found out about the Ritter Aluminum small block I figured it would be an easier and less expensive route to go to.

My reasoning is that I already have the Edelbrock heads, headers, transmission placement, blah blah blah, etc..
Besides buying a forged crank, rods and pistons, I basically just have to swap out my current cast iron block with an aluminum one and add a FAST EFI kit that I already have.

I figure that it would still be less than the $14k for the 515hp P5156159 crate engine
http://www.jegs.com/p/Mopar-Performance/Mopar-Gen-III-426-Hemi-Crate-Engine/1710917/10002/-1

thanks

There is no huge advantage at 500hp other than maybe fuel mileage. I wanted in the 600+ range and I think there on up it starts to shine price wise and still using a hydraulic roller with 0 maintenance.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/30/14 06:18 AM

Quote:

Quote:

But the first line of this thread reads, "Finally got things going in the right direction by making my own mounts and denting $800 headers..."

Look, I like this build, (a lot) but you positioned the engine. I'm guessing that the TTI's were designed to work with Schumacher mounts. just sayin... and wondering!

I dont know what these were designed to work with but me and a few other guys were told they work on Gen III powered A-bodies with a Borgeson steering box. TTI told me to just move engine forward for clearance, AFTER I told them I was making my own mounts. I used to run a BB and my trans mount was already set to stock fore and aft wise. I would've needed to move the engine forward 1/2" to clear the #1 primary. That aint happening because it would require notching K member, steering linkage problems and shifter hole problems. So I decided to egg out the steering box holes and move it outboard about 1/8" and still put in the dent in the tube shown above. Doing this also helped steering shaft clearance at the same time. All TTI has to do is change the #1 tube placement about 3/8" but for some reason they seem very reluctant to. Here is the pic that has mislead me and a few others
Posted By: Consulier

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/30/14 03:58 PM

Quote:

thanks

I'm running the 6.4 because it's cheap. 500+ hp for $6,000 with OEM reliability. Can't beat that and you can't get that with a LA motor. If you want more power, it will take it no problem. Drop in some forged slugs (Mahle direct drop in) and slap a blower on the thing and it's making 650 all day.

The harnesses are getting easier. Trans stuff bolts right up. Flywheel is cheap. For some reason the headers just suck.

My 2" did end up fitting with custom mounts and the engine being raised 1/2". Not what I wanted, but that's what I got with off the shelf headers. Using a manual box with an electric steering column, so extra room with the box.

There is some minor massaging required, but nothing major.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/30/14 05:32 PM

Get some Wesley! You keeping the SRV intake?

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/30/14 06:35 PM

Quote:

Get some Wesley! You keeping the SRV intake?

It appears with my new chassis bracing that I am...

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/30/14 07:12 PM

Oh now you've went and done it! Looks good, and heavy lol..

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/30/14 09:36 PM

Quote:

Oh now you've went and done it! Looks good, and heavy lol..

It's chromoly, so it's fine.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/30/14 09:39 PM

The whole cage? That is, as the cool kids say, SIICK!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/30/14 09:53 PM

Quote:

The whole cage? That is, as the cool kids say, SIICK!

I wish... just the chassis stiffening. Unfortunately, rules stipulate that the cage inside cannot be chromoly.

Car should still be around 2850 when it's finished. Still all steel Dart Lite, so I can take some weight out with body panels if I really start to get picky.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body Borgeson marriage - 01/30/14 10:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Emil, Peter, and myself all discussed the options when I first put these headers in my car using TTI Mounts. You can read more on the issues here:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=259395

I'm still waiting on TTI and the vendor to come through on a promise they made.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/30/14 10:09 PM

Gotcha. Rule are for? USCA? Vintage Mod SCCA? I still have not even a rollbar so I would be stuck in limited speed classes I think.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/31/14 08:42 AM

Hi Kevin... you mentioned the magic word.. "Rules"... so, as I've always suggested to anyone building up their car, what club sanctioned rules are you building towards? Will it be able to run competitively in various other club's "rules"? I think regardless where ever you'll run it, it should be highly competitive because of the light-weight to begin with (but, are there minimum weight rules???).

Good luck with it!... looks to be a pretty fast car overall!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/31/14 04:58 PM

Quote:

Gotcha. Rule are for? USCA? Vintage Mod SCCA? I still have not even a rollbar so I would be stuck in limited speed classes I think.

FIA Article 253 - It's legal for Rally America, NASA road course/rally, Targa Newfoundland, Pike Peak, SCCA, etc... All the usual groups.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/01/14 06:30 AM

Please let me know when you plan to compete at Pikes, would love to assist or at least watch.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/15/14 02:25 AM

Another piece of the puzzle showed up today....92MM of coolness.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/15/14 02:51 AM

Nice. Does it feel like a nice piece? My BBK doesn't look pretty, but it sure feels well built.

Have you decided one what EFI? Are you leaning towards mike or do you want to go MS3-Pro?

I like the box being self contained with the coil drivers, the price, Mikes support and the harness.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/15/14 05:08 AM

As far as the throttle body goes it is solid,but, the IAC needs rotated, the supplied bolts are too long and it didnt come with a gasket. Really should take it up with F&B about that stuff. Another thing is the website says it doesnt come with sensors so I bought them ahead of time, open up the box today and low and behold it has sensors.Im sticking with Mike and I also like the one box/one harness and laptop tunable aspect of what he offers over anything else out there now.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/15/14 10:42 AM

Quote:

Quote:

FIA Article 253 - It's legal for Rally America, NASA road course/rally, Targa Newfoundland, Pike Peak, SCCA, etc... All the usual groups.

Was looking at S&W racecars site the other night and it looks like, according to them, SCCA 2013 road race cages rules want 1.75x.120 minimum? That is freakin stout stuff. They also show a diagonal bar behind driver as well as a horizontal harness bar. The door bars either x or ladder style. Trying to make those guys happy wont work for me and 2 kids. Im gonna have to compromise in that dept.
Posted By: johnscudashop

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/15/14 03:01 PM

Whew!! Thats a tight clearance between the header and the steering box

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/15/14 10:26 PM

Update
After getting TB decided some intake mods were in order. Gasket match is done and will get the inside and TB opening done in the next couple weeks.

Also received EFISource plug and play efi. Am not a fan of the convoluted GM harness sleeve so going to change it all over to gunmetal plastic braided. This stuff isnt any less cheap, just looks better and IMO makes it look more up to date.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/27/14 10:38 PM

About done with mocking this heap up. Its almost comical how tight this thing fits but yet it fits lol!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 08/27/14 06:37 AM

Squirters modded and mocked up with 2 pistons and rods. They have nearly identical trajectories since I fashoined a jig for them. After all was said and done the piston skirts would just touch them at bdc so I went ahead and clearanced the skirts with a burr. Piston weight didnt change one gram either.

Attached picture 8252833-IMAG0190.jpg

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 08/27/14 03:30 PM

The details are looking great. Nice!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 08/27/14 05:28 PM

Thanks, what a long road its been lol.
Posted By: 446acuda

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 08/28/14 01:36 AM

Quote:

Finally got things going in the right direction by making my own mounts and denting $800 headers...

Will any application stock header work in your application?

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 08/28/14 02:34 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Will any application stock header work in your application?

No I'm retaining torsion bars and stock steering configuration. The headers are TTI gen III/ borgeson steering box application.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 09/25/14 11:22 PM

Did you use the Milodon Road Race Pan? I think you did...

The pickup on mine is a cluster. Wondering what you ended up doing to get yours to work... if you have.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 09/26/14 12:32 AM

Quote:

Did you use the Milodon Road Race Pan? I think you did...

The pickup on mine is a cluster. Wondering what you ended up doing to get yours to work... if you have.

Summit lists the pickup as the same part number as the one needed for the 31000 pan. Last year I called Milodon and they told me it required a different part number pickup for the 31003.

This year I called and they said it was the same, and the 31000 pickup had been modified to work with both.

I call BS. Call Milodon and find out what the correct part number is for the 31003. It existed last year (during SEMA week is when I called).

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 09/26/14 12:37 AM

Im not quite there yet Kevin, have not bought pickup yet. Rotating assembly is getting balanced as we speak though.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 09/26/14 01:34 PM

The thing that really sucks is that I called them about an issue with the pickup and the 6.4 pump. They said to modify the attachment and it would be fine. Never said a word about the rest of the issues, or mentioned that there could be a revised design.

Milodon is getting close to being on the list of "Never buy from them again even if they are the last supplier on the face of the earth" along with TTI. So tired of this crap not working when they sell it as such.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 09/26/14 03:07 PM

It's not cheap and it doesn't fit. Great combo.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 09/26/14 03:56 PM

I'll call them today.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 09/26/14 11:55 PM

Called Milodon, they said Melling changed the bolt hole location on the 6.4 pumps. You need pickup #18349. I need the regular #18331 still.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/07/14 05:17 AM

Short block assembled, waiting on Milodon pickup tube. It should be a long block by next week.
Posted By: 70blackfish

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/07/14 07:17 AM

Milodon SUKS!!! JUST FYI...check everything!!!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/12/14 04:59 AM

Quote:

The thing that really sucks is that I called them about an issue with the pickup and the 6.4 pump. They said to modify the attachment and it would be fine. Never said a word about the rest of the issues, or mentioned that there could be a revised design.

Milodon is getting close to being on the list of "Never buy from them again even if they are the last supplier on the face of the earth" along with TTI. So tired of this crap not working when they sell it as such.

Well im going to have to join the Milodon haters club. Finally got my pickup tube, thanks to Amazon, and it is pretty obvious that it was NEVER intended for this RR pan. Pretty f-ing mad that a guy pays $87 and gets a tube for a $400 pan that has no chance in hell of fitting.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/12/14 05:11 AM

Wow that sucks, cut and tig weld to fit?
was really hoping that this would have worked out

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/12/14 05:16 AM

If I got my $87 back I would make it work, but Milodon is gonna have ONE chance to make this right or I am gonna make it my lifes mission to make sure that their POS products never make it onto anything again. Im gonna let them decide their future in the aftermarket tomorrow.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/12/14 05:56 AM

Awesome, I would feel the exact same way!
How does the one company that makes the two products not make it fit?

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/12/14 06:20 AM

When they first released this pan they had a special pickup part number they told me over the phone. When I called this year the guy had no idea what I was talking about and said the one pickup fits both.

Press them until you talk to someone who actually designed the pan and pickup. They originally made a pickup for it, but I've never seen the other part number listed (and I lost the paper I wrote that pickup part number on).

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/12/14 06:28 AM

When I called and asked about Kevins problem above on his 6.4, I double and triple checked with the guy when I had him on the phone and he said the 18331 was absolutely the one I needed on a 6.1 and the issue on Kevins motor was the 6.4 pump. Lip service comes in huge commodity these days.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/12/14 03:59 PM

Yeah, kind of fed up with all of this. I had an R5/P7 that I was supposed to put in my car and chose not to because of all the fab necessary to get it to fit. What a mistake that was. I think I would have been further ahead by now with the custom mounts, headers, etc... for the R5. Definitely would have had nicer headers.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/12/14 05:54 PM

More lip service, they said Melling blah blah changed the pumps on us, blah blah. Mr. Tom said to send him my 18331 pickup and he would send me an 18336 pickup.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/12/14 06:33 PM

Man I feel your pain 72swinger
I'm going to get the 18336 pick up also
and if I find out that doesn't work either I'm gonna be pissed!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/12/14 08:02 PM

Quote:

More lip service, they said Melling blah blah changed the pumps on us, blah blah. Mr. Tom said to send him my 18331 pickup and he would send me an 18336 pickup.

Glad to hear they're going to straighten it out.

18336 when googled shows specific for your pan. That's gotta be the pickup they designed for that pan and subsequently forgot about.

And the melling changing the pump BS?! That's crap. It wouldn't bolt to the main if the pump was different.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/21/14 12:36 AM

Progress is happening slowly while im waiting on a pickup tube and some misc. bolts. Starting to figure out exactly the what and how of what I picture in my mind to reality.
Posted By: Moparmal

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/21/14 06:32 AM

How didyou do with the Milodon dipstick?

The one I received - the tube was 1/2" too long - Bob Mazzolini ended up sending it back to Milodon for " modification"

Havent heard about anyone else having this issue

The other thing to check is where the correct quart level actually shows on the dipstick - because of the angle it slides in , the level can show much higher on one side of the dipper than the opposite side.....

Ill try to post a pick later to show what I mean.....

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/21/14 07:25 AM

Im using a cheapy noname brand that I still am waiting on. Maybe this weekend I can have the engine mostly complete. I will keep doing updates as I move along.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/21/14 09:29 AM

Not great pics info - but this is the "flat" side of te dip stick - u can see it shows I need about a quart top up - this side faces the crank - and I verified verified it as accurate.

This is the " other" side - which faces the edge of the pan when inserted - not a great pic but it shows a much higher level due to the angle of insertion.

The issue here is the lip of the oan pushes the dipstick away from the " vertical" and changes the angle of insertion.

Just a heads up to make sure you make a careful note of your oil level against a "known" quantity - and not rely on this aftermarket sh1t

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/21/14 10:12 AM

Once I get the pan on I will put 7 qts in and mark it there. That will be the full mark for this engine. Gonna call Milodon tomorrow and see what the status is getting mine shipped SOON. Don't get all warm and fuzzy doing metal work with my engine un sealed in the same garage.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 11/30/14 02:18 AM

Closer...

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/03/14 10:59 PM

We have a tube, and it fits....

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/03/14 11:01 PM

It only took a few tries...

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/03/14 11:11 PM

Quote:

We have a tube, and it fits....

Boom. awesome

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/03/14 11:21 PM

18336 with the 31003?
Nice!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/03/14 11:38 PM

Yeah I think I got the "prototype" 18336.
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/04/14 08:24 AM

yeah really - no anodizing.

How long did you have to wait for your pickup? I can't seem to find one in stock....pickings on the 31003 pan seem pretty slim as well.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/04/14 08:46 AM

Milodon builds the 31003 and 18336 when you order them.
They used to have them in the website but not anymore, they are available though.
I ordered my stuff from Summit

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/04/14 02:32 PM

Quote:

yeah really - no anodizing.

How long did you have to wait for your pickup? I can't seem to find one in stock....pickings on the 31003 pan seem pretty slim as well.

I waited about 15 days, that included me shipping my old pickup tube back to them. Just the way it is in Moparville these days.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/07/14 02:39 AM

Opinions wanted, yay or gay?

Sans harness covers?

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/07/14 03:24 AM

I would get rid of all un-needed weight as possible,
but that's just me
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/07/14 03:37 AM

I think as long as the wiring is sanitary they can go
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/07/14 03:46 AM

I'd keep them. May cut down on some injector noise, but the weight is pretty negligible unless you're chasing weight pretty extensively. I'd be surprised if the pair was much more than a pound.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/07/14 05:08 AM

Weight is a none issue with these covers, the pair of them may equal 2/3 lb. I guess I have them and can use them or sell them depending on how they look in the car.
On another note, this engine was a broken valve spring/dropped valve victim in a previous life and today after cleaning the rockers I found the intake rocker that must have been on the said valve. The valve end may have been salvageable but the pushrod end was pretty jacked. So I ordered a set of intakes. Probably the last hangup on this engine build (knock on wood). That and the cheapy dipstick tube is barely reading with 7 quarts in it.
Posted By: jcc

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/07/14 05:34 AM

Naked

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/08/14 04:57 AM

Pump bracket done. Alignment is dead nuts and belt length chosen.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/08/14 05:23 PM

Looks more "finished" with the coil covers

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/08/14 10:45 PM

I like them. I'm going to put a set on mine. It looks too busy with the wiring showing.
Posted By: 1fastabody

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/09/14 12:18 AM

What power steering pump are you running?

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/09/14 12:56 AM

It is a pump from a circle track supplier I bought when I was running the BB. Cant remember who but now you can get them from http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Aluminum-Power-Steering-Pumps-w-Reservoir,12707.html
Mine has a PSC sticker on the back side. Pulley is from a newer Dodge truck.
Posted By: gremlinsteve

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/09/14 02:48 AM

Nice build

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/09/14 04:52 AM

Quote:

Nice build

Does that mean you like me GremlinSteve? Thanks.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/09/14 05:22 AM

Hey 72Swinger,
What are you or any of the Gen 3 guys gonna be using for oil?

thanks

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/09/14 05:28 AM

Im gonna run 30W Lucas Break in oil for a couple hundred miles then switch to synthetic. Honestly have not decided which oil yet.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/09/14 05:33 AM

One of guys I know who has set a bunch of track records at Laguna Seca runs Mobil 1 0w-40.

Here is an oil analysis of the stuff
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1722539

I was going to use it in my engine

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/09/14 06:34 AM

That is the oil that my original oil cap has on it to specifically use, I have 12 qts of it. Was thinking that oil in winter and Mobil 1 15w50 in the heat and at the track.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/09/14 07:04 AM

Oh wow! I had no idea! Good to know
Time to stockpile

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/09/14 07:05 AM

I'm running Dino oil for 5k and then going to a top tier syn.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/09/14 08:12 AM

Im still kind of in the air, I know thinner oil returns to the pan ALOT easier. A lot of Gen III guys swear by Rotella 5-40 synthetic.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/09/14 09:00 AM

Are you going to run an Accusump?
I just got the 3 qt and trying to figure out how to plumb it?
I think the 31003 is 7 qts, plus 3 qt accumulator + oil cooler + filter/ lines =
a lot of oil haha!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/09/14 09:35 AM

Yes it will get one eventually. I want to mount it under the dash or in a center console. Have the inlet fitting plumbed with a cap on it so I can add it later.
Posted By: gremlinsteve

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/09/14 02:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Nice build

Does that mean you like me GremlinSteve? Thanks.

Gremlinsteve likes almost everyone.

I'm glad I'm running manual steering now. Seeing and reading y'all's updated threads

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/14/14 01:43 AM

Does anyone know what size are the two oil ports above the oil filter are?
The top one goes to the bearings while the bottom is from the oil pump correct?
I'm trying to figure out what to get for fittings

Thanks

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/14/14 02:24 AM

They're just ports. Use them for what you need. I've got mine blocked.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/14/14 02:26 AM

Quote:

Does anyone know what size are the two oil ports above the oil filter are?
The top one goes to the bearings while the bottom is from the oil pump correct?
I'm trying to figure out what to get for fittings

Thanks

3/8 NPT

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/14/14 04:57 AM

Ok cool! Going to use -8AN fittings for the 3/8 npt

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/15/14 11:15 AM

Factory recommends 0-40.. But I rckon thats a little thin for hot Climates.

I run 10w-40 Brad Penn...and even that seems like water compared to Cstrol 20w-50

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 12/25/14 05:36 AM

Cage is getting there. I told my wife and oldest son that if I ever say "I think i'll build myself a rollcage..." again, hit me as hard they can in the face with a frying pan. My son said " dad there isn't any frying pans in the garage...."

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/03/15 09:45 AM

Cage is all bent up. Getting the floor plates made and doing the dash bar currently which is stalled out until I get the pedal box notched out. Yes you can have a dash bar with factory wipers,column and dash cluster if your willing to do some customizing.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/14/15 05:07 AM

Chipping away....

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/24/15 05:15 AM

All welded up. Still have to add the X and rocker bars. Gonna do some tunnel work and will get that done so I don't have work around them. Also going make a new plate for the brack and clutch m/c's on the firewall, then paint cage when its complete. Will get all wiring 75% done before I smooth and paint engine compartment. BTW found a cool cage paint.

Posted By: moparx

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/24/15 01:55 PM

what "cage paint" is it ?

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/24/15 05:50 PM

Hammerite dark blue brushable. Gonna roll on first coat and see how it looks then either roll or brush on second coat.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/25/15 01:46 PM

is hammerite the brand name ? who makes/markets it ? colors available ?

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 01/25/15 09:04 PM

Hammerite is the brand name but its made by Kilz. Rustoleum has some hammered silver's and grays that are cool but this was the only blue I could find.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/01/15 04:09 AM

Small gain today, fitting dash and getting ECU,relays,junctions etc. situated before cage and firewall get painted. Have some cool ideas, just not 100% on execution yet lol! Gotta fit dash pad so it can go to upholstery man.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/09/15 12:13 AM

Had to relieve some paranoia with 4.05 stroke vs. stock damper. Found a new blem luckily so the sting wasn't SO bad.
Posted By: 67autocross

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/09/15 12:29 AM

I tied my cage in with bailing twine before welding it ...I feel your pain!

Attached picture 8423296-P2100008.JPG

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/09/15 12:42 AM

Quote:

Had to relieve some paranoia with 4.05 stroke vs. stock damper. Found a new blem luckily so the sting wasn't SO bad.

Very cool! Is that part number 918432?
With what happened with my stock damper separating, I will never use an OEM damper ever again.
It's pricey new at around $400 but worth every penny

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/09/15 02:37 AM

Yes it is, 5% OD. Some guys were talking about dampers and strokers and it was the consensus that past 6500rpm and any stroke crank or any combination of the 2, they are pretty much mandatory. People have ran stock 6.1 dampers many times in those situations and the results are not good. Phantom oil leaks and valvetrain problems are the minor problems that occur. So I bit the bullet. One more tidbit before installing one of these, take a 1" flap wheel on a drill, I used a 120 grit, and lightly hone the inside of the hub to take the black oxide off and it will go on nice and smooth with no binding up. My crank has a keyway which these dampers also utilize as another bonus.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/09/15 08:17 AM

Quote:

Chipping away....

Very cool. Great job!

I like that you got the front turn down bars low to get as close as possible to the shock mounts.

And like that the cage is close to the A-frame and window sills so it looks more stealth and you not so close to hit you head on it just driving on the street.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/09/15 09:23 AM

Thanks for noticing Steve, getting that done was what took the time for me. I got a lot of inspiration from Kevin's Dart Lite. The main hoop diagonal/harness bar will be removable so the kids cannot hit their face on it on the street. Looking at the car from the side you can only see the main hoop, and with the windows up it pretty much disappears, I could've lined it up perfect with the quarter window trim but it laid it back more than I wanted.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/09/15 03:46 PM

Looking good Emil! Keep up the good work.
Posted By: sixpackgut

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/09/15 05:46 PM

I swear to god, I thought some of these pictures were of my car at first glance. its looking great

mine below

Attached picture 8423995-150569_1543004167482_1006291331_31218164_5080308_n.jpg

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/09/15 07:01 PM

I can see why Ray, same patina on the cowl for sure!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/16/15 11:22 PM

UPS guy showed up with some goodies.
Accusump and some fire extinguisher to rollbar brackets from WEHRS Machine. Very slick and lightweight.

Also bought a clamp on breather tank, bottom un screws off for cleaning and its super light weight too.
Posted By: 6packattk

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/17/15 01:59 AM

You have shown major skills bro,Dad is proud,I hope to get a track ride someday too...

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/17/15 02:21 AM

Thanks brutha!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/17/15 03:13 AM

Looks great Emil!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/17/15 04:29 AM

Thanks Wade, I really need to get it done soon. Tired of the parts collecting phase. Need to get the under dash situated, make mounts for ecu,relays etc so I can pull dash, paint cage, finish engine compartment and start wiring. Once those 4 things are done ill get hoist over here and start assembly.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 02/23/15 04:25 AM

Full tilt track cage....

Full tilt family sedan....

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/06/15 01:30 AM

Been bustin my [Edited by Moparts - Family Friendly Site - Keep it clean] a little doing some sanding,painting and bellhousing runout. Had front plate off the trans for measuring runout and decided to apply my front bearing oil sprayer brainstorm. Brass weed sprayer fan nozzle should spray like MAD. So now that I got that out of the way, the engine and trans are officially ready to go back home in the Dart.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/06/15 07:34 AM

Also swapped out the RST disc with McLeod for there RXT disc, one less thing to wonder why I just do that when It was apart DUH!!!

Floater plate back on

I also checked the bell for parallel, had to add .005 shim to 9,10 and 11 o'clock bolts of bell after that an some .007 dowels I had leftover from the BB I had .004 TIR and about .00075 away from parallel, pretty sweet there.

And the cute little Kibota garden tractor starter fits now after some block butchery.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/06/15 05:41 PM

Looking good Emil!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/07/15 07:56 AM

Finally have engine and trans package together!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/07/15 10:00 AM

Very nice!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/07/15 12:22 PM

I see you take ground cables very serious... Or are those the engine lift cables?

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/07/15 03:18 PM

That bellhousing is so small! QuickTime FTW

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/07/15 09:22 PM

Quote:

I see you take ground cables very serious... Or are those the engine lift cables?

Yep 6awg. The one hanging by the starter is the charge wire. After reading Monte Smiths advice on isolating grounds, floating grounds, I had the epiphany that the ground side is just as if not more important than the positive side. Only thing different in my case is the EFI source harness has the positive go to the starter and the grounds to the heads instead of direct to battery, that is how Mike set it up.
Posted By: BergmanAutoCraft

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/07/15 10:30 PM

Does that quicktime bell have any provision for centering the starter?

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/07/15 11:54 PM

Quote:

Does that quicktime bell have any provision for centering the starter?

Just the bolt pattern. If you're asking about a rear support like stock, no to that to. IIRC the 05 Ram 2500 5 spd starter im using has no provision to be centered that way either. This bell is the SB Mopar to Viper T56 to btw.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/08/15 12:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep 6awg. The one hanging by the starter is the charge wire. After reading Monte Smiths advice on isolating grounds, floating grounds, I had the epiphany that the ground side is just as if not more important than the positive side. Only thing different in my case is the EFI source harness has the positive go to the starter and the grounds to the heads instead of direct to battery, that is how Mike set it up.

Hey can you elaborate more on what Monte wrote on grounds? Or what else you have as a ground setup? Very interesting info!
Thanks

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/08/15 03:34 AM

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/08/15 03:47 AM

Damn! All these years I've been grounding things wrong!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/08/15 04:48 AM

As I get my firewall to A pillar bars done I can start wiring for real, got the passenger side done today will get the other one soon. Those bars are going to dictate my fuse box mounting,ecm mounting and voltage regulator, Bat + junction and buss bar placement. Going to have through firewall battery 3/8" studs for pos and neg both behind the cylinder heads as hidden as possible. Been thinking I might mount an encased 200 amp fuse inline with the charge wire to. Firewall is almost done with filler and smoothing, still need to cut out master cylinder plate and weld in a new one out of 1/8" and plate in the down bars to the shock mounts a little then the engine compartment will be in paint soon after.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/08/15 06:11 AM

When Monte is talking about the floating ground copper bus bar,
does he mean something like this?
http://www.electrical-insulators-and-copper-ground-bars.com/segrbaki.html

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/08/15 11:45 AM

that will work !

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/08/15 01:08 PM

Quote:

When Monte is talking about the floating ground copper bus bar,
does he mean something like this?
http://www.electrical-insulators-and-copper-ground-bars.com/segrbaki.html

yes, his theory is any grounds to frame amplify electrical noise exponentially.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/08/15 05:34 PM

Quote:

yes, his theory is any grounds to frame amplify electrical noise exponentially.

Ok, just remembered that I actually did a similar setup for the positive cable using this red covered terminal block JB4-375-RC.
http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/_junction_blocks.asp
For my negative I ran a fat 00 cable from the engine block to the battery negative but ran other grounds to the frame.

I will get this black terminal block instead

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 03/31/15 10:21 AM

So I was putting my sweet newly covered dash pad in the shed and saw that my driver side fender had slid from its perch on top of a bunch of other junk and hit a dolley and my lawn mower on the way down to landing face down on the concrete. Not a morale boost this guy. Its gonna need paint to fix, AAAAAAAARRRRRRR!!!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/17/15 04:24 AM

Trudging on through...gotta thank my buddy Travis for laying down a killer few coats of B5 over this amatuers first go at body work.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/19/15 12:54 AM

Finally going together! Went smooth as silk using the install car on engine method.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/19/15 03:16 AM

This looks amazing Emil! Great job

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/19/15 03:41 AM

Sweet!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/19/15 04:07 AM

Thanks guys, I have a ton of stuff left to iron out but man does it feel good to get going. Im not gonna predict any "it will run by 0000 day" crap to add pressure either lol!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/19/15 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By 72Swinger
Thanks guys, I have a ton of stuff left to iron out but man does it feel good to get going. Im not gonna predict any "it will run by 0000 day" crap to add pressure either lol!

I'm at a stagnant point with mine where I feel like I'm just pecking away at the same thing over and over. Hoping to get the engine bay relatively wrapped up here soon and stab my mock up engine in there!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/19/15 05:54 AM

Definitely mock up BEFORE engine bay is painted. I have kept my engine bay scratch free so far because of that. BUT even though the clutch master has a plastic cap over the outlet fitting DOES NOT mean it wont still freaking DRIP! If anyone sees the mark that made, ill kick them in the nads....
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/19/15 08:27 AM

This is the first time I've looked in this thread and I've only seen this page. I like the "tubs" in the engine bay. I'm curious about them. Do you intend to lower the car with tall tires and need that extra clearance?

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/19/15 05:39 PM

They are needed with high offset wheels and 10-12 wide tires IMO. I plan to eventually run a 295 on the front some day. Just something I did since I was already taking the engine compartment down anyway.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/19/15 08:17 PM

Looks awesome my brother,keep pics coming with all progress
bow

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/19/15 10:55 PM

Thanks Brutha, get well!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/20/15 03:17 AM

OK last pic until I get an idle video.
Posted By: Brian

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/20/15 03:31 AM

That looks sweet! I hope mine will look that good in few more months.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/20/15 05:20 AM

Looks nice. The stock hood should clear just fine!
Posted By: Tomswheels

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/20/15 05:51 AM

Awesome Emil, awesome.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/26/15 05:14 AM

Thanks Tom,
So today I got the radiator and hoses, driveshaft, trans filled, power steering cooler mounted, PS lines all on, PS fluid in and antifreeze all done. Decided to put my battery on the passenger floor board and "temporarily wire" the EFI,starter and gauges. So I spin the starter and watch the oil pressure gauge, it bounces to 20 psi and back to 0. WTF? So I get out and see a puddle forming under the front of the engine WTFFFMOFO??? Its dripping from the Derale remote filter adapter, the alternator, and the oil pressure sender. I immediately start cussing the Derale adapter because that really looks like where it is originating from.

So im staring up at it all from my creeper with a light telling Murphy to go away, and then the light shines up high enough I can see a hole on the front of the block wet with oil. WTF? Well long story short, unknown to me is a oil galley plug hole on the FRONT OUTSIDE of the block with no plug. Didn't even know it existed, I didn't remove it and don't remember noticing it ever. I figured out it is 1/8" pipe and ran to Menards of all places and found a brass plug for it, reinstalled the alternator and belt, jumper wired everything again and VIOLA 50psi while cranking! Heart attack diverted. Tomorrow I plan to hook up some fuel to her and make that video of it idling. Murphy be damned....

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/26/15 06:05 AM

Here is the culprit of my near coronary...

Attached picture 426ShortBlock_front_small.jpg

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/26/15 10:27 AM

Yeah the stock oil pressure sensor goes there

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/26/15 04:26 PM

Mine was never there it was in the bottom outside 3/8" pipe port.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/26/15 04:45 PM

Here is a shot of how my sensors were before I removed them.

Yeah that little sucker is hard to see! Glad that you caught it before any major damage

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/29/15 11:59 PM

OK it idles decent after a couple swings, was WAY off with the factory settings and 80 lb injectors. Battery is low, alternator isn't charging, fans are not wired and neither is about everything else but mission accomplished, shes a runner.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMMF7gS7DQE&feature=youtu.be

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/30/15 02:18 AM

Hell yea, check that box! "It runs!"
Posted By: Brian

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/30/15 03:30 AM

Congratulations, I hope I'm about 4 months behind you

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/30/15 03:33 AM

Thanks, if you got yours running in a year, you would be about 8 months ahead of me still lol!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 04/30/15 07:34 AM

Thanks for the on my birthday initial fire up vid.Wont be long now till test with a drive.You did good my brother bow

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 05/01/15 03:25 AM

Sounds amazing Emil!!!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 05/01/15 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By 6packattk
Thanks for the on my birthday initial fire up vid.Wont be long now till test with a drive.You did good my brother bow
You are welcome broheem!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 05/01/15 05:11 AM

Originally Posted By Uhcoog1
Sounds amazing Emil!!!
Thanks Wade!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 05/01/15 01:19 PM

Very cool!
Where did you get that intake elbow? Gives me some ideas

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 05/01/15 01:40 PM

EBay lx kit.
Posted By: wdiegogarcia

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 05/11/15 03:43 AM

I bought a 426, 7.0L for a restoration project and I have a lot of problems to find the spare parts need to install it: flywheel, wiring harness, ECU, etc. Does anybody have a company or contact to buy these parts? Thanks a lot, I'm really worry because I've the engine and I couldn't find yet the parts needed.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 05/11/15 05:38 AM

Start a thread of your own with your specific needs, and read a few of these:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=154280
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/ubbt...tml#Post1369872
http://www.efisource.com/shop/ms3-gen3-hemi-plug-play-gold-box/
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/dominator_efi/harnesses/parts/558-107

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 05/25/15 10:00 PM

Couple updates:
New swaybar clamps and 1.18" T-bars are in

Oil cooler back on, it JUST fits

Its looking like a car again

Aftermarket tilt column adapted

Dash %90 complete.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 06/09/15 05:52 AM

Went on ring seating hellride today. Made about 10 hard pulls with the autotune feature on the MS3 doing its thing. Still struggling to get a nice surge free idle lower that 11-1200 rpm. Drove up and over hills with a constant temp of about 205 with one fan only working. The thing really starts to come alive at about 5000 rpm is all im gonna say. Only had nerve for 6000 rpm today. Dash gauge was in the 11.6-12.2 under full throttle/load. Honestly doing this with a laptop on your lap that the sun makes almost impossible to see, reading the speedo,tach and afr gauge with goggles on because there is no windshield is not exactly ideal. Probably going to drop the oil and cut open filter and put in some 5w30 Valvoline I have sitting in the corner for another 500 miles.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 06/09/15 06:04 AM

One other thing I want to point out, I forgot all about swapping to 1.18" from the 1.06" bars. The car itself is WAY more solid and rigid, the stuff im used to like the car twisting when you hit the throttle to the point of needing some steering correction, are a memory. The ride honestly feels no different than before, but it has been a while since ive been in the seat.

Things left do
headliner
windshield
repaint grille
hook rear brakes with prop valve and park brake.
put interior in
roof rail weatherstrip
new rollers for pass rear quarter window
put in another fan relay
figure out the idle
drive through a parade to throw candy at people.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 06/09/15 12:55 PM

Lookin' good!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 06/09/15 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By 72Swinger
Went on ring seating hellride today. Made about 10 hard pulls with the autotune feature on the MS3 doing its thing. Still struggling to get a nice surge free idle lower that 11-1200 rpm. Drove up and over hills with a constant temp of about 205 with one fan only working. The thing really starts to come alive at about 5000 rpm is all im gonna say. Only had nerve for 6000 rpm today. Dash gauge was in the 11.6-12.2 under full throttle/load. Honestly doing this with a laptop on your lap that the sun makes almost impossible to see, reading the speedo,tach and afr gauge with goggles on because there is no windshield is not exactly ideal. Probably going to drop the oil and cut open filter and put in some 5w30 Valvoline I have sitting in the corner for another 500 miles.

Haha that sounds awesome!

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 09/06/15 06:50 PM

I guess I should update this a bit.
Headliner is done

And made a remote axle breather

Car is a blast

But its a little bit of a porker after all the beefy handling/braking bits and the cage, it weighs 3480 without driver....
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 09/06/15 08:01 PM

82 mph at 2,000 rpm? wow. Does it lug at that low of rpm at that speed?

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 09/06/15 08:11 PM

No, its in a happy place at 2,000. I have tested lugging it and had to take some timing out below 2500. I can excellerate up from 80 mph to pass no problem also, no ping, no surge, no chugging it just pulls happy.

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 09/15/16 04:09 AM

This needs to be in here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o08EzMxhU6Q
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: My Gen III Hemi A-body build. - 09/15/16 05:00 PM

Looks like fun!!
© 2024 Moparts Forums