Moparts

Interesting idea for cheap track car

Posted By: AndyF

Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/03/21 04:31 AM

These guys bought a used Toyota NASCAR chassis and installed some RoadRunner body panel to make a fairly cheap track car. I think it would've been cooler with a Toyota engine but they went with an iron block LS truck engine instead. Even added AC for the extra touch.
https://www.motortrend.com/features/1970-road-runner-rat-rod-superbird
Posted By: Jerry

Re: Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/03/21 11:34 AM

ok not going to lie thats pretty cool. love the fact that it has ac even.
Posted By: topside

Re: Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/03/21 05:10 PM

I like the basic idea, but I wonder why the nose isn't lower; probably road clearance, but looks slightly "off" to me at that height.
A front spoiler would hide some of that.
I'd prefer Mopar power, but I'm familiar with the LS craze.
Wouldn't be too hard to make it look nice - which I understand is my "problem" with aesthetics, not the builder's.
Bottom line, cool build, I love the wing cars.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/03/21 08:47 PM

a cheap "track car", defined by me as best bang for buck, is a Miata, often seen passing you in the corners, no matter what you are driving, some even being driven by women. grin
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/03/21 09:31 PM

Very neat idea.

I've thought of doing something similar in an even cheaper range. Used IMCA modified chassis, reskin it with a late 30s body, take it to open track days. Or even go a few steps down this path and remove enough safety gear and add street equipment.

Also thought of reproducing a Dodge kit Car. With all the repop E body metal out there, about ten years ago I estimated it at around $3500 for the frame rails, rockers, firewall and floors to produce a rolling chassis. Obviously prices have gone up a bit since then.
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/03/21 10:53 PM

The kit car idea has some merit given the AMD panels that are available. It would probably be possible to build a chassis at a fairly low cost which was ready for AMD panels. Someone like Art Morrison could make a kit like that happen pretty easily.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/03/21 10:56 PM

That is cool.
Posted By: geo.

Re: Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/03/21 10:59 PM

I think the body looks great!
Mine would have torsion bars, leaf springs, and MOPAR engine.
Enough with this LSh*t!
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/05/21 11:49 AM

I've built a few cars like this in 1/25 scale over the years. Vintage muscle car shell on a modern Nascar chassis.

Cool to see one done in 1:1 scale. I'm even ok with the cheap and plentiful GM drive train given it's power tour use.
Posted By: SattyNoCar

Re: Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/05/21 10:03 PM

Regardless of motorvation, I actually like this better than the 'Scraptona' done previously. Maybe because it looks more like an actual 'stock car' unlike Scraptona? shruggy

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

drive
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/11/21 02:59 PM

There are a lot of old cup cars for sale. Any of them would be cheaper than trying to build a race car from scratch. Dude probably went with an LS for cost. A Gen III Hemi or R5P7 would get pricey.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/16/21 01:33 PM

I'm curious how they scored a Nascar Cup chassis for $1600. All I can every find in that price range are pretty used up street stock or stock stub limited late models that have been wrecked or are completely stripped down to just tubing. A roller late model or even an limited modified chassis seem to be running between $5-10k everywhere I look.
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/16/21 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by TC@HP2
I'm curious how they scored a Nascar Cup chassis for $1600. All I can every find in that price range are pretty used up street stock or stock stub limited late models that have been wrecked or are completely stripped down to just tubing. A roller late model or even an limited modified chassis seem to be running between $5-10k everywhere I look.

If you live near Moorseville, NC, they're literally lying around everywhere. We had a guy pick one up for 2k. He paid us 5k to convert it into a two seater.
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/16/21 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Yuck
There are a lot of old cup cars for sale. Any of them would be cheaper than trying to build a race car from scratch. Dude probably went with an LS for cost. A Gen III Hemi or R5P7 would get pricey.

We figured out that that was a myth a while back. The only way to get any cost savings with an LS is if you get a 5.3 base model engine, but HP for HP, the Hemi's actually came out cheaper if you started from scratch.
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Interesting idea for cheap track car - 09/16/21 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by TC@HP2

They're out there.

https://www.racingjunk.com/nascar-a...imit=20&np_offset=21&from=search

https://www.racingjunk.com/nascar-a...er=score&np_offset=0&from=search

Kevin
© 2024 Moparts Forums