Moparts

restriction in ps... 68 coronet improve feel?

Posted By: SANDYinNS Canada

restriction in ps... 68 coronet improve feel? - 11/21/18 02:31 PM

My 68 coronet wagon has only 30k on it . It is only a driver so I don't see spending $1000 to get a firm feel box . I'm obviously in Canada By the time I send a core and pay shipping exchange on the dollar its that much! The car drives excellent except the damn more power than steering mopar thimg.

I can remember reading somewhere that a restriction in the line or pump outlet will lessen the assist . Has anyone tried that? If the car had 130k on it I'd swap the box but it is a true survivor.

I also purchased a set of used aftermarket sway bars from Frankenduster at a swap meet few years ago. I may add these as I went with Hotchkis on my super bee .
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: restriction in ps... 68 coronet improve feel? - 11/21/18 03:22 PM

https://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/attachments/pump_it_down-re-v1-4-pdf.1714942218/
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: restriction in ps... 68 coronet improve feel? - 11/22/18 02:14 AM

I have done this in a few cars. It is a "Trial and error" deal.
I've added a few spacer/washers, tested, repeated the process until the steering felt tighter. It was tricky for me though. I'd find that a .120 thickness worked great in some but provided either no difference in some and too much in others.
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: restriction in ps... 68 coronet improve feel? - 11/24/18 12:05 AM

The stock (obsolete) factory wheel-alignment setup with less caster for diagonal tires, makes for easier steering effort.
So make sure you car has a proper 'modern' wheel-alignment first, which increases the steering effort slightly.
Posted By: topside

Re: restriction in ps... 68 coronet improve feel? - 11/25/18 02:19 AM

^^^ Yup. Adding caster will increase the effort to turn the wheel off of center, which is about as close to "feel" as you're gonna get with the old over-boosted Mopar PS system.

Re: restriction in ps... 68 coronet improve feel? - 11/25/18 03:16 PM

ok a wheel alignment is the next move along with the sway bars and kyb front shocks ...
Posted By: BigBlockMopar

Re: restriction in ps... 68 coronet improve feel? - 11/25/18 06:45 PM

Those kyb shocks will 'improve the feel' allright. The feel of harshness and uncomfortable driving. wink
If the budget allows I would get something better than that.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: restriction in ps... 68 coronet improve feel? - 11/25/18 09:56 PM

Yeah, Sandy....SKIP those shocks and get the Bilsteins!
Posted By: Bob J

Re: restriction in ps... 68 coronet improve feel? - 11/27/18 06:35 AM

KYB's are the Radial T/A's of the shock world.

Re: restriction in ps... 68 coronet improve feel? - 12/02/18 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By Bob J
KYB's are the Radial T/A's of the shock world.

I know but believe it or not I still have to go to the usa to get them..maybe I'll get bilseins for the bee and put the old ( year or two?) kyb's on the wagon
© 2024 Moparts Forums