Moparts

K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal?

Posted By: MRGTX

K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 06/27/18 01:37 PM

So I really don't know what this looks like when done properly.

My question is how much of this job can be done with the K-Member/motor still in the car?

Is it worth the effort or expense?
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 06/27/18 02:13 PM

No not IMO.

The K needs to be degreased before welding for one thing. Then you can not get to lots of the areas that need to be welded when the motor is in the way and the K is bolted in. Not worth doing in that case.
Posted By: autoxcuda

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 06/27/18 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By Challenger 1
No not IMO.

The K needs to be degreased before welding for one thing. Then you can not get to lots of the areas that need to be welded when the motor is in the way and the K is bolted in. Not worth doing in that case.

I agree
Posted By: MRGTX

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 06/27/18 03:48 PM

That makes sense, guys. It's also what I was hoping not to hear.
smile

So for me, this will have to wait until I've blown up the Magnum 5.9!

How much difference will this make? Where does it rank in the list of recommended chassis reinforcements in terms of importance?
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 06/27/18 08:42 PM

Firm Feel sells a great kit.
Posted By: RylisPro

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 06/27/18 09:19 PM

Originally Posted By 68rrunner
Firm Feel sells a great kit.

I sent mine to Firm Feel as well. They put the K-frame into a big BBQ to roast all the oils, grease and dirt out, then they weld all the seams. I just taped a bunch of cardboard around the K-frame when I shipped it.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 06/28/18 12:25 AM

Originally Posted By MRGTX

How much difference will this make? Where does it rank in the list of recommended chassis reinforcements in terms of importance?

Difference...single digit or lower in terms of overall rigidity improvements from just welding up the K. No proof, just a guess based on other reading I've done. The thing with seam welding is it is a whole approach that gets results, not a single component. Its like an apple a day keeps the doctor away doesn't apply if the rest of your diet is Coke and Twinkies. Stitch weld all the seams in through out the car and you can gain a 30% increase. This has been proven on a 1st gen Mustang.

With that said, the gussets that support the steering box and eliminate flex in that area are much higher in the improvement range and reducing this deflection may actual approach a double digit improvement. Will that be huge on the seat of the pants meter, it depends on how in tune with your car you are. If you can feel the difference in understeer half a tank of gas makes, then you'll notice the improvement in steering mount gussets.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 06/28/18 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By TC@HP2

This has been proven on a 1st gen Mustang.

That has about as much relevance as my wife's gynecologist giving medical advice for me.

The 1st gen Mustang is a ratty POS as it left the factory and has major issues with it's front suspension trying to tear itself loose in normal driving.
Posted By: TC@HP2

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 06/28/18 05:37 PM

It may be a ratty POS but it is relevant to demonstrate how stitch welding can provide structural gains.

I never said Mustangs were engineering marvels nor that their suspension was superior. But, Mustangs were on a unitized platform frame assembly, very similar to a Mopar, and Ford finding the Mustang to be a flexi-flier, install torque boxes during the production run, just as Mopar did in some of our cars, as a means to step up rigidity. So it appears the engineering disciplines are very similar. Does that mean the same work will yield the same results on a Mopar, not necessarily. But it will show improvements and to discount it as not relevant because its simply another make is just as foolish as getting prostrate advice from your wife's gynecologist.

Posted By: Supercuda

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 06/28/18 09:42 PM

There is no relevant similarity between the Stang and any Mopar other than the most general ones possible.

I suppose we should run under riders cause they worked om Gen 1 mustangs?

Or ignore the fact that the front suspension forces in a torsion bar setup is transferred to the middle of the body not the front fender wells.

In general, seam welding is probably a good idea, but it's not because it made the mustang a slightly shinier turd.
Posted By: Bob J

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 06/29/18 01:19 AM

TC@HP2 PM sent
Posted By: Jim_Lusk

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 06/29/18 02:33 AM

No need to wait until you blow up the engine. Support the motor and drop the k-member. I can get one out within a couple of hours...
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 06/29/18 03:44 AM

Or, find a K member, get it completely cleaned and weld it up. If you have it done be prepared to spend some money in that the labor will be pricy
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 06/29/18 05:05 AM

Originally Posted By Jim_Lusk
No need to wait until you blow up the engine. Support the motor and drop the k-member. I can get one out within a couple of hours...

I had a spare and welded it up, dressed all of my sloppy welds then painted it up. I later swapped it out in a few hours.

Attached picture 1B.JPG
Attached picture 9B.JPG
Attached picture 12B.JPG
Posted By: Sixpak

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 07/12/18 11:48 PM

If you're going to weld on the K make sure to run a bead or two around the lower control arm tubes, but be sure to grind back the welds on the back side where the pins go through so the control arm pins sit at the original depth. I've seen more than one A body Mopar that has cracked and broken those crummy welds and ruined a k frame by not addressing it in time.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: K-Member seam weld- can this be done without removal? - 07/18/18 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By Frankenduster
Originally Posted By Jim_Lusk

I had a spare and welded it up, dressed all of my sloppy welds then painted it up. I later swapped it out in a few hours.

I’m impressed. Looks like a pro job. No bird sh...t welds. up
© 2024 Moparts Forums