Moparts

XV B body engine bay brace

Posted By: Bob J

XV B body engine bay brace - 04/30/18 06:48 PM

Any one running a XV B body engine bay brace? I want to run one with a big block and Elderbrock Pro Flow XT intake. My question is will this fit as is or could the front bar be modified to fit? XV Engine Bay Brace
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: XV B body engine bay brace - 05/01/18 04:33 AM

A buddy offered me one that he was going to use in his 70 GTX. It won't fit my car because of my power brakes.
Posted By: ntstlgl1970

Re: XV B body engine bay brace - 05/01/18 06:43 AM

That front bar is going to be where the XT throttle body wants to live as well

Re: XV B body engine bay brace - 05/01/18 03:50 PM

Yep it's that front bar that is the problem. I'm not running a distributor just the cam sensor from Andy F. So I may be able to lower the front bar to go blow the throttle body. Cut the front bar up and sleeve it or have a custom front bar made. The dash is built and about to go in so now is the time to make a choice on this.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: XV B body engine bay brace - 05/02/18 05:05 AM

I wonder what the actual gain might be by using it. Maybe with frame connectors, the lower radiator U brace and the inner fender gussets, this may not help all that much. If it blocks access and you are not looking for that 5% of additional stiffness it provides, is it worth the effort?

Re: XV B body engine bay brace - 05/02/18 05:07 AM

I’ll try to dig up a picture from when I had an XT in my car. The throttle body angles down so I doubt you could get a bar under it. Let me put it this way, you will need a 90 degree thermostat housing to clear the throttle body

Re: XV B body engine bay brace - 05/02/18 05:11 AM

Here you go

Attached picture 8567DC8D-0B4F-4B75-A935-A8574BBDA477.jpeg

Re: XV B body engine bay brace - 05/02/18 05:37 AM

Originally Posted By Frankenduster
I wonder what the actual gain might be by using it. Maybe with frame connectors, the lower radiator U brace and the inner fender gussets, this may not help all that much. If it blocks access and you are not looking for that 5% of additional stiffness it provides, is it worth the effort?

I already have the frame connectors and radiator support welded in. I have the inner fender supports but not in yet. I just welded up the inner cowl and A pillar. I also welded up the steering support bracket that is welded to the cowl. On that bracket, with no other support that bracket would move a lot with it's few spot welds. After welding it up the cowl no longer flexed and the bracket was solid. I also welded up the K frame with the steering box support.
I'm working with a convertible so I'm trying to make the car stiffer. Yep a hardtop would be stiffer but this is the car that I have, plus I'm 6'6" so dammit I want some head room with a helmet on for once.
So this looks like something that I'm going to pass on. Thank you every body for your input.

Bob
Posted By: 68rrunner

Re: XV B body engine bay brace - 05/02/18 03:45 PM

I can't recall the specific issues, but we got one to install on a 69 GTX once and the fit was absolutely terrible. We abandoned it after messing with it for a half a day.
© 2024 Moparts Forums